Sign in with
Your question

Artist building comp for graphics/video. First time builder

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2009 9:22:56 AM

Hi all

I am new to this forum but used the site many times and read many threads before.

I have been putting together specs for a computer by looking at other peoples builds and changing where nessessary. I know nothing about building a computer and wanted some kind advice about my choices.

Specifically, will there be compatibility problems and does anyone feel that am I wasting money anywhere or cutting corners!

Thanks for your support

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I will order comp next week I hope!

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photoshop (with graphics tablet) and other graphics software. Watching and editing video (hobby only). I am an artist so image quality is of primary importance.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Floppy disk drive?

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I am based in Tokyo, if anyone has any buying advice please let me know, if not, dont worry I have Japanese friends who can help!

PARTS PREFERENCES:

Motherboard

AMD™ 790FX or AMD™ 790GX (not sure of the difference!)

processor

AMD Phenom x4 955 (black) "3.2GHz, 6MB L3 Cache, 4x512kB L2 Cache, 2000 MHz Bus, Socket AM3 - MPN: HDZ955FBGIBOX"

Graphics

ATI radeon 4850 (1GB) or GTS 250

HDD

1TB 7200rpm Serial ATA

Memory

PSD36G1333KH Patriot DDR3-1333 (2GB*3pcs)  

Case/ Power supply/ DVD drive/ Fans etc

Advice appreciated

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (I know nothing of overclocking and potential risks) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (again, I know nothing!)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Good quality monitor preffered, advice on a good resolution and size would be appreciated

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am really worried about making a mistake, missing something important, buying something that doesnt work well, or overheats, or wasting money on technology that will become redundant quickly. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to check for me!
September 4, 2009 10:04:20 AM

As you will be buying next week, you should keep your option open as intel is going to launch newer CPUs by September 8th...So check their reviews and if good and those fit your budget, you can consider those too..And anyways they would drive down the price of other CPUs too...

And about the RAM, dont get a 6GB kit like that one...If you install 3 sticks on your mobo, then you would loose Dual-Channel config and it would be slower...So always stick with either 4GB(2x 2GB) or 8GB(4x 2GB) or 6GB(2x 2GB + 2x 1GB) kits...

CASE - It is more of personal choice...
Maybe any of these...
Antec 300
CM 690
CM 590
Antec 900

PSU - Any high quality 450-500W PSUs from any of these manufacturers...
Antec EA series
Antec Truepower
Corsair
PCP&C
Silverstone
Seasonic

It would be better if you could post what options you have and we could suggest the better one of the lot...
Related resources
September 4, 2009 5:13:16 PM

I don't know your budget, but if you can, i suggest getting a second hard drive for back-up. You don't want your harddrive to fail and lose ALL your work from the past year+.

Also, as far as monitor quality. The good quality LCD's are extremely expensive. Most LCD's use a TN (twisted nematic) panel technology, which has horrible viewing angles and color reproduction, but it's fast and cheap. If you can afford it i'd recommend looking for a monitor with a *VA (MVA, PVA S-PVA etc.) or IPS panel.

Just go to the LCD sub-forum here re monitors, there are a bunch of threads about them.
September 5, 2009 7:22:51 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick and good replies!

"As you will be buying next week, you should keep your option open as intel is going to launch newer CPUs by September 8th"

Was not aware of this, I do not have to buy urgently so I will wait. I live in Japan, I gather the new CPUs will be released universally? I can easily check so dont worry!

"If you install 3 sticks on your mobo, then you would loose Dual-Channel config and it would be slower..."

I also had no idea about this, great info. Do you think I need 4gb, 6gb or 8gb? I dont know what kind of difference it will make.

"You DO NOT need a 4850 unless gaming"

Thanks I thought this was a little extravagant, what about video quality, rendering speed, image quality etc? I was thinking about the 4770?

"HAF 932 or 922. For PSU, a Corsair 450VX or better will be good."
"Antec 300, CM 690, CM 590, Antec 900"

Thanks again, I will check these out. As for my choices, I heard of Antec, specifically the Antec "300 Tower Gaming PC Computer Case" I guess it is similar to the Antec 300? The 900 looks a lot better I think but maybe unnessessary. The HAF 932 and 922 look great also, should I be concerned with getting a good fan with low noise or are they all pretty much the same? I will research these further and probably select one in the next few days! Is it better to stick with the same power supply as case maker? I heard that some tower cases come with power supply?

"2nd harddrive and monitor quality"

This is probably the hardest area for me as it is the area I could justify spending money on. I will look into the *VA and IPS panel monitors and prices. Image accuracy is vital as I use photoshop a lot and paint from studies produced on computer. Good "color reproduction" sounds like a must!! I will get on to the LCD forum and get some info.

I also agree that 2nd HD is important, to lose months of work would be unbearable!

Thanks again for helping out. I always feel buying computer stuff daunting- so so many products, each with suttle differences I never know where to look. I feel I now have some excellent starting points. I will research into prices and reviews and post again. Really appreciate the feedback!!
September 5, 2009 8:48:17 PM

^Forgot to tell you this, ATI will be releasing the new 5xxx cards soon which are supposed to be DX11 cards.

Quote:
hould I be concerned with getting a good fan with low noise or are they all pretty much the same?

Take a look here: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSI...
I'd personally pick the Core Contact Freezer. Newegg has it at $25 after MIR. Don't forget to get the i7 bold in for the CCF! If you want silence, you can always swap out fan (I use Scythe Slipstream 110CFM fans on my S1283 and CCF120.) or use a fan controller.
September 5, 2009 8:49:53 PM

Quote:

I also agree that 2nd HD is important, to lose months of work would be unbearable!

Don't forget to also back up your MOST important data to the net AND burn them to DVD. Take a look at GamilFS: http://gadgetopia.com/post/3109
Anonymous
September 5, 2009 11:11:27 PM

What kind of video editing do you want to do ?
If you plan on doing any HD 1080 encoding, you may have issues with a "penny pincher" build.
My ideal is an I7
Asus P6T deluxe version 2.
12gb memory stock, not overclocked, 6gb if overclocking.
2 identical hard drives, one will be a "scratch" drive.
A dvd or Bluray burner.
1100 watt quality modular power supply
2 HD4890 stock (Diamond brand) in crossfire.
A monitor for 1080p
Any photo editing software
however if doing HD1080 , I recomend Adobe premier 7 elements and photoshop, being sold for $136 if you buy both at once.
Always get the latest drivers from companies' websites, not the installion CD's packaged with products.
I have had bad luck using consumer NVidia graphics cards for video encoding and rendering on Vista Ultimate
I also have a Fire Pro V8700, but I haven't tried it yet.
September 7, 2009 5:51:54 AM

Thanks again for the replies. Sorry I couldnt get back quicker, I work long hours Sat and Sun!

"ATI will be releasing the new 5xxx cards soon which are supposed to be DX11 cards"

Thanks for this info. As gkay09 mentioned about Intels new CPUs drivingdown prices, I guess same should happen with ATI and other Graphics Cards. I found this info regarding the DX11 cards on this site.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ati-dx11-40nm-gpu,6462...
Does anyone know a release date for these? I have read Sept, Oct and Nov. Its worth holding out a short time for cant wait until Nov!

"I'd personally pick the Core Contact Freezer"

Sounds good to me, I never even thought about this area and I trust your judgement (plus prce is very reasonable!). Thanks for the backup info too.

"Don't forget to get the i7 bold in for the CCF"

I am not sure exactly what you mean here but guess the i7 bold is one of intels CPUs? I will check the price, is it a lot better than the AMD Phenom x4 955 (black)? When I bought my last computer (about 5 years ago) I trusted AMD but now, I am not so sure, seems the i7 is definately superior. Is it worth spending another $60 on an Core i7 920 2.66GHz QPI 4.8GT/s? Will it be that much faster than an overclocked Phenom 955?

Re: "HD 1080 encoding"

I checked the Fire Pro V8700 and it is definately out of my range! I do not need to do HD editing at the moment. I took a premiere course when I left art college and want to keep my skills up. I will do some editing for a pretty well known martial arts club I train in here in Tokyo. Probably be viewed on net or DVD. It is just to keep skills up and practice but who knows for the future!

Regarding the display. I am seriously considering the Hyundai 421D. It is an IPS panel so the color accuracy and viewingshould be better than a *VA? The stats look convincing, has anyone heard anything, positive or otherwise about Hyundai? Here are 2 reviews if anyone can find the time to have a quick look!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hyundai-W241D-PVA-High-Q...
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-hyund...

I can get it here in Japan for 36,362, about $390, well within my budget!
September 7, 2009 5:59:54 PM

Quote:
"Don't forget to get the i7 bold in for the CCF"

Meant i7 bolt in kit.
September 8, 2009 10:56:41 AM

"Meant i7 bolt in kit. "

Thanks for the confirmation. If I knew anything about computers I guess I could have figured that out!:) 
!