Best Partition Set Up

Aleatoire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Hi there, I just got a second 1TB HDD because I have a lot of stuff and I decided I might as well reformat my current HDD also because it hasn't been done in a while. I was wondering how I might partition both HDD's.

I was thinking of maybe splitting both HDD's into something like this:

C: OS and installed programs (small-medium size)
D: Installers and downloaded stuff (medium size)
E: Videos and music (large size)
F: Documents, other things and backups (large size)

Any suggestions?

Solution
Looks pretty good. I tend to partition like crazy, so I may not be an ideal model to follow. I'll explain.

I have about 1TB storage (3 x 640GB RAID-5) divided into 9 partitions. But, I have two OS's installed and two "images" of the OS installs. Each OS and each image is on it's own individual partition. (The images are used for hassle-free OS resets/reinstallations via partition copying software.) I also keep my SWAP/Pagefile on it's own partition. Here's a breakdown of my current setup:

C: OS 1 (50GB)
D: OS 2 (50GB)
E: OS 1 "image" (25GB)
F: OS 2 "image" (25GB)
G: Downloads, media, documents (300GB)
H: Steam Games (300GB)
I: Non-Steam Games & Large Programs (300GB)
J: Files, programs, and misc. 2nd OS-specific stuff (50GB)
K...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Looks pretty good. I tend to partition like crazy, so I may not be an ideal model to follow. I'll explain.

I have about 1TB storage (3 x 640GB RAID-5) divided into 9 partitions. But, I have two OS's installed and two "images" of the OS installs. Each OS and each image is on it's own individual partition. (The images are used for hassle-free OS resets/reinstallations via partition copying software.) I also keep my SWAP/Pagefile on it's own partition. Here's a breakdown of my current setup:

D: OS 2 (50GB)
E: OS 1 "image" (25GB)
F: OS 2 "image" (25GB)
G: Downloads, media, documents (300GB)
H: Steam Games (300GB)
I: Non-Steam Games & Large Programs (300GB)
J: Files, programs, and misc. 2nd OS-specific stuff (50GB)
K: SWAP/Pagefile (20GB)

Even with only one OS, I'd still have several partitions. It would mostly serve as a means of keeping completely different programs, files, and games isolated. It makes defragmenting an easier (and faster) task because you know exactly where you just installed that 16GB game or 4.5GB DVD image. (Without forcing you to defrag the OS, too.)

Solution

Aleatoire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Maybe even like this?

D: Installed Programs (250GB)
E: Installed Games (350GB)
F: Installers (500GB)
G: Media (700GB)
H: Documents (100GB)
I: OS 2 (50GB)

By the way, do I need a pagefile partition?

EDIT: Added sizes.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

Not necessarily. I install basic stuff on the OS partition, like browsers, media players, burning software, etc. What I don't install on the OS partition is office programs/suites or photo/video editing programs because those programs tend to require a lot of storage space.

As for separating the SWAP/Pagefile, no you don't have to, nor "should" you, really. Windows "prefers" it's on the OS partition, and can sometimes misbehave a little when it's not.