Antec 1200 - Buy now, or wait?

SphereX

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I will be building a computer in February as soon as I get my tax return. I am going to be getting the Antec 1200 case. It currently lists for $199.99 on Newegg, however it is on special for $149.99. My question is do you think I should buy the case now at this price, or wait until February? Do you think this case will have dropped in price buy then, or is this a good deal that I should take advantage of?

Solution

As a proud owner of an Antec 1200 & Antec 300... You will be very happy with your case and that was a GREAT BUY!!! :D

shel0319

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I think that the 1200 is competitively priced as it is, with added discount its a steal!!!

I know its still a relatively expensive case for most users but it comes feature packed and the build quality is superb as per usual for antec...

Its a real bargain go for it!!!

leon2006

Distinguished
In the last 2 years 2 Antec PSU gave up on me. One 500W PSU and the just over a month ago the 850W Quattro.

When not running CPU intensive application i run prime95 to stress test my HW. Surprise surprise the Antec quattro failed. None of the load is damaged. Antec replaced the supply.

Before this i had zero failure on PSU for > 15 years.
My PC's are on 24x7 and no PSU has failed. I junk my old PC because they are old and obsolete but all hardware still run.

Antec PSUs are great but i decided to try out the CORSAIR HX1000 for a change.

As with automobiles, PSU manufacturers design ther product lines to meet different price segments. The Antec SG series and the Corsair HX represent the cream of the crop. Electrical performance wise, they are very similar but the SG is significantly quieter. The PSU's you've mentioned from Antec are in lower quality product lines.

We bought my son's 1200 early too to "catch a deal", we also bought the PSU, two extra case fans, HS , HS Fans. If you can find a combo or similar deal on the PSU, the SG series from Antec has cable lengths perfectly suited for the 1200. You may need extension, especially for the 8 pin EPS cable with other brand PSU's. However, the real deal for the 1200 is the Antec CP-850

SilentPCreview.com writes:

"An innovative PSU with 120mm in-line fan only compatible with three large Antec cases, the CP-850 is just about as quiet as the Nexus Value 430 at lower power, stays extremely quiet and cool in those cases to >600W, with exactingly clean, regulated voltages lines at a price that's a pittance for such quiet, abundant, performance. "

The review here has more superlatives than I have ever seen in a PSU article.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page7.html

"The Antec CP-850 is a superlative power supply by almost any standard. Its electrical performance is up at the level of its more expensive brethren, the Signature 650 and 850, and Seasonic's flagship, the M12D-850: Voltage regulation is extremely tight for all the lines at all loads, and the ripple noise is amazingly low.....he noise performance is excellent, with the <400W performance matching or bettering virtually every PSU tested thus far. ....

For the quiet-seeking computer gaming enthusiast, the CP-850 (along with any of the three compatible cases) is something of a godsend. Fantastically stable power, super low noise at any power load, long expected reliability due to excellent cooling, modular cabling, and all at a price that's no higher than many high end 6~700W models. That you're limited to one of three well-executed high cases from Antec — one mostly for silence (P183), one mostly for gaming (1200) and one that's really an ultimate everyman case (P193) — is not exactly a hardship either. "

As for ya February build date, Intel historically drops both prices and new CPUs at the end of February .... may want to hold off a bit to take advantage.

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
If you consider the fact that the 1200 has been priced around 200$ since it was out, I don't see it being cheaper than 150 in February so I say go for it ! At 150 it's a steal and it's a great case ! I know I got one :D

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
something like computer case is not going to be dropping in price anytime soon, somewhat similar with PSUs, but if a new design comes out the older ones will, fans, water cooling stuff (sans the water blocks that only fit in certain socket) are also like this.