Sign in with
Your question

New ram still @ 400mhz?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 16, 2011 10:43:48 AM

hey,

i have just been and got some new ram i have installed the ram, but the ram is 800 mhz but its still showing 400 mhz

but the ram is there manufacturer on old ram was samsung new is corsair and corsair is showing installed

i have been in my bios but dont no how to work bios or if its the latest bios installed

my pc is a esprimo e5615 nforce4

cpu is AMD Athlon 64 X2 up to 4000+ ram up to 4gb of ddr2 pc2-6400 @ 800 mhz witch i have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-XMS2-6400-Unbuffered-5-...

any help is great jay :sol: 

More about : ram 400mhz

a b } Memory
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 11:54:32 AM

OK. How do you know your RAM is running at 400 MHz?

If you are using CPU-Z, well, CPU-Z measures RAM frequency, not RAM clock, which for DDR2 RAM is twice the frequency.

So if you are using CPU-Z, you have nothing wrong.

If you are not using CPU-Z, you have something wrong and we will need more information.
a c 163 } Memory
a c 295 K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 11:59:34 AM

Hi.

Did you bought one or two stick of it?
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 1:36:07 PM

DDR memory runs actually at half of its advertised speed. Without over simplifying too much, older style memory could only be read from or written too once each clock cycle. With the advent of DDR, which stands for "Double Data Rate", memory could be written too and read from each clock cycle, thus in theory "doubling" the effective rate the memory could perform at. So, following the fact that if you can advertise bigger numbers, you sell more product, 400mhz memory suddenly became 800mhz memory. So now all memory is sold at the advertised fastest data rate that it is guaranteed to run at. This how ever has nothing to do with the speed the memory actually runs at when you plug into the board. Memory speed is set by the processor and motherboard combo, to run anything other than that, you have to overclock it.

Many apps will detect the memory at the speed it is actually running, not the advertised double data rate it is sold by. So, we need to know what you are looking at to get the 400mhz reading you are seeing.
November 16, 2011 7:07:54 PM

jsc said:
OK. How do you know your RAM is running at 400 MHz?

If you are using CPU-Z, well, CPU-Z measures RAM frequency, not RAM clock, which for DDR2 RAM is twice the frequency.

So if you are using CPU-Z, you have nothing wrong.

If you are not using CPU-Z, you have something wrong and we will need more information.

yes iam using cpu-z

when iam on cpu-z my ram shows pc2-6400 @ ( 400 mhz )

i had to ram sticks with two diffo speed modules one was 400 mhz and other was 333 mhz

reason for new ones. but the new ram said online they was 800 mhz did think it would be twice the speed of my old ones lol.

if not at least it will be faster still having same modules then two diffo modules. :whistle: 
a c 163 } Memory
a c 295 K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 7:14:44 PM

The problem is that you are mixing different speed RAM, in that point your 800MHz only can run at the max speed of the lowest RAM than in you case looks 333MHz, so, in your BIOS you should see 666MHz or something similar.

CPU-Z>Memory tab>DRAM frequency. Double the number that you see there and that's the real speed of your RAM.
November 16, 2011 7:36:36 PM

saint19 said:
The problem is that you are mixing different speed RAM, in that point your 800MHz only can run at the max speed of the lowest RAM than in you case looks 333MHz, so, in your BIOS you should see 666MHz or something similar.

CPU-Z>Memory tab>DRAM frequency. Double the number that you see there and that's the real speed of your RAM.

my old ram was different speeds 1gb x 2 1st 333 mhz 2nd 400 mhz

my new ram both the same ram 1gb x 2 but on the box they came in there 800 mhz.

dram frequency with new ram is 351.6 mhz
a c 163 } Memory
a c 295 K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 7:44:40 PM

So, you have two stick 1GB 400MHz right? If i'm right, your need go to your BIOS and set the RAM at 400MHz or 800MHz, not sure what option give you your mobo.
November 16, 2011 7:59:03 PM

sounds like the info i need. i have been into my bios but could not find a way to change my ram speeds. must have to upgrade my bios but i have never upgraded my bios so dont no where to start my pc is esprimo e5615 nforce4
a b } Memory
a c 100 K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 9:27:57 PM

It shouldn't need a BIOS upgrade, just search around a little more. It's probably in a sub menu somewhere.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 12:31:12 PM

Since this board is in a OEM system, it is doubtful that there are any settings in the BIOS to adjust memory timing, it will run at what the board/CPU combination deems it is supposed to run at. If CPUz is reporting it as 400mhz, there is nothing wrong, the RAM is running at the correct speed.
November 17, 2011 12:36:52 PM

i see, i dont notice much difference in the new ram. still not fast, thinking of a new build. quad core, 8gb ram, must be worth the upgrade.
a c 163 } Memory
a c 295 K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 12:46:43 PM

New build is a better option
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 1:17:55 PM

Of all the things you can do to improve the speed of a computer, faster RAM is the very last thing you look at, like a final tweak, or if you are planning on doing some overclocking, because RAM speed actually has a pretty small effect in the overall scheme of things. What is important is that you have enough RAM, if you don't have enough, your PC will spend a lot of time reading from the hard drive, which does slow things down hugely. But once you have enough, RAM speed is a secondary and minor concern. Even when you do use faster memory, most people can only tell the difference in benchmarks, and its hardly ever an improvement that is noticeable on the screen.
a b } Memory
a c 100 K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 5:49:29 PM

Just realised, if you read "400mhz" from CPUZ then your RAM is running at the proper speed of 800mhz. CPUZ always reports the data rate, but of course RAM is Double Data Rate so it's 2x that. Mine reports 800mhz because it's 1600mhz DDR3.
a b } Memory
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 18, 2011 11:19:07 AM

wolfram, that is a small bug with CPU-Z. CPU-Z should be reporting a RAM frequency of 400 MHz with DDR3-1600 RAM.

DDR3 requires 4 clock cycles instead of the 2 clocks that DDR2 needs.
November 18, 2011 12:21:18 PM

jsc said:
wolfram, that is a small bug with CPU-Z. CPU-Z should be reporting a RAM frequency of 400 MHz with DDR3-1600 RAM.

DDR3 requires 4 clock cycles instead of the 2 clocks that DDR2 needs.

if iam going to build a pc, it will be mainly used as gaming/bluerays/music.

i have seen a couple of board bundles but dont no what would be better mainly for gaming.

1st

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Bulldozer-FX-6100-3-3Ghz-...

2nd

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/amd-quad-core-pheno...

3rd

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20048152/7725665/Save...

4th

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTHERBOARD-BUNDLE-8GB-1333MH...

^^^^^^ this one is the one i want with the price being cheaper
will this board play moden warfar 3 at full res with high end graphics card
!