Nvidia: I am deafened by the sound of silence

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Ask yourself this...

How long has it been since Nvidia let a day like today (with regards ATi) go with some kind of counter-announcement or demo or even just bluster?

The silence would tell me GT300 is in serious trouble, and ATi could have a DX11 monopoly for quarters not months.

Thoughts?

kohd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
It could be either extreme actually. Silence could also mean they are still on track after the release of the 5870 benchmarks and have no need to worry about finalizing their 300s. With very limited ATI supplies they don't really need to rush any sort of announcement to retain a good chunk of the new GPU hype IF they feel their 300s are worthy. Being a pessimist, I am inclined to believe they are in trouble though ;P But only time will tell.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Or renaming the GTX 2xx series...

Anyway, I've already ordered my 5870, luckily it was only €320 (gotta love that exchange rate), so I couldn't care less about Nvidia right now (or the next two years), but in the long term we, the consumers, need this business to become competitive again, be it because of Larrabee or because of a GTX 380.

There wont be many GT300s for the same reason why there will be shortages of the R5xxx cards since they come from the same plant and the yields even for the 4770 due to leakages (not due to design of gpu but the process. GT300 will be pricey as every one expects but for us who do have they money to get one of those R5xxx cards will have a hard time getting one for a month or two. Fingers crossed no pirates, no ice burgs, no leaks on the ship before it gets here.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Maybe there will be some very cheap 5870's for sale on ebay.so in the near future...

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Yeah, and North Korea is a people's paradise, how I know that? well, their leader said so, so it must be true then...

I'm not saying I think its the smart strategy, but for the past 6 months that seems to be what Nvidia's attitude has become. Everything is GPGPU, CUDA, etc. They want to be a big company and compete with AMD & Intel, not a niche company and compete with ATI.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

I think it's just propaganda, they don't have a GPGU right now and the GTX 3xx series will certainly not be a true GPGPU's the way Intel's Larrabee will be.

Don't count on finding a 5xxx for cheap for a year or so one ebay since I know first hand I am a regular shopper not just for parts but also silver.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

You didn't get the joke: the "ebay.so" was a reference to the pirates.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

A primitive precursor to a real GPGPU that they can actually sell to gamers.