Sign in with
Your question

Computer will not boot, no beep or display.

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2009 5:01:35 PM

Firstly, my specs.
Intel Q6600 @ 2.4ghz with stock cooler(no overclocking at all ever)
MSI P7N SLi
2x2gb Ram, 800mhz, kingston
Gainward Bliss 8800gt 1024mb edition
450w PSU
320GB IDE 7200rpm Western Digital @ Master
40GB IDE 5400rpm Western Digital @ Slave
160GB SATA 7200rpm Western Digital @ Sata 1
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Antec 902 (from a cheap cream case)

Last night i installed my computer into a new case (antec 902) and powered it on and it ran fine for 5-6 hours (with all case fans on max speed) under normal use including gaming, im, web browsing and some photoshopping. This morning, i went to turn it on but it doesn't boot, not even to the bios. I get no beeps from the speaker i installed. It powers up fine, all fans start up and the motherboard LEDs go from red to blue like they used to. The GPU fan starts up as does the cpu fan, the cd drive will spin discs. The only difference between last night and this morning is that the network cable was plugged in last night when i powered on but was in this morning but i have unplugged it and tried to boot but to no avail.

There are no series of lights or beeps, only that when i power on the blue led comes on (which it did anyway before my problems).

What I have tried:

1. CMOS reset via button on the back.
2. Battery removal for 2mins
3. Unplugged all harddrives
4. Removed one ram stick
5. Removed the other ram stick
6. Removed both the ram sticks
7. Unplugged and reseating gpu
8. Unplugged and replugged ATX 24pin connector and 4pin 12v cpu connector
9. Putting a bootable disc in cd drive
10. With/Without network cable in

Power cable has been unplugged and plugged in again after EVERY step i've tried.

I dont see why it did work and now 8 hours later, it refuses to boot. I havn't moved the box at all and it has been off all night.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, i would like to sort this as soon as possible.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2009 8:27:48 PM

Hard to know for sure , but possibly the power switch or reset switch on the case is faulty and is sticking
Related resources
September 4, 2009 9:12:01 PM

Follow these steps, you might find the fault.

Firstly touch the metal case to remove any static that have build up in your body.

Unplug the power Cable from the back of the Power supply. Also unplug keyboard, mouse, speaker cables.

Reset the Motherboard, there should be a reset button(jumper) on Motherboard. Or simply take the battery out and put it back in. Refer to motherboard manual for further instructions.

Carefully remove all parts from motherboard, leaving only the cpu and the fan. Then unplug all cables (i.e HD, DVD, case etc) connected to the motherboard except the Power supply cable and of course CPU fan.

Now add the Graphics Card, make sure it sits on the slot properly.

Now add just 1 Memory card in Slot 1. Make sure you insert it the right way. There's a guider at the bottom of card to help you, if you notice one side of metal connectors is longer than the other side. You should hear clicking sound once insert it properly. Now add the second Memory card in Slot 2. You can leave the third one till later.

Now connect the main power cable to back of Power supply and connect the Monitor cable to the Graphics card. Make sure the monitor is switched On.

Now is time to switch on the Motherboard, either by pressing the internal Power button located on MotherBoard or by locating the power Switch cable coming from the front of the Case and connecting it to the motherboard jumpers (it might be labelled PW or PWR).

The screen should display the bios screen. If it does that means these party are not the cause of the fault. If it doesn’t the go - Part 2

Then what you do is Disconnect the power and add the parts one bye one to the system. Each time you add part or connect a cable, turn the system on to make sure it works.

Basically this is one way to find what is causing a blank screen.

......................................................................................
PART 2 (still have blank screen)
......................................................................................

Unplug the power Cable from the back of the Power supply. Also unplug keyboard, mouse, speaker cables etc

Carefully remove all parts from motherboard, leaving only the cpu, the fan. Then unplug all cables connected to the motherboard.

Very carefully unscrew motherboard and take it out from the case. Place it on top of the Motherboard box, with the anti static bag underneath it.

Now add memory to slot 1 and 2 as before. remember it must click when insert it. Next add the Graphics Card, make sure it sits on the slot properly.

Now connect the power cables from the power supply to the motherboard.

Now connect the main power cable to back of Power supply and connect the Monitor cable to the Graphics card. Make sure the monitor is switched On.

Now is time to switch on the Motherboard, either by pressing the internal Power button located on Motherboard or by making a metal contact to motherboard Power jumpers (it might be labelled PW or PWR).

The screen should display the bios screen. If it does that means these party are not the cause of the fault, it could be that you did not install Motherboard to case properly.

However if the fault still exist, it means it could CPU, Graphics card, Memory or Motherboard that is causing the fault.

.............................................................................................................
Part three
.............................................................................................................

When an IBM compatible computer is first turned on, the hardware runs a Power-On Self Test (POST). If errors are encountered during this POST test, they are usually displayed via an audio beep or in the form of a code number flashed across the screen. With this audio code in hand, you can determine what part of the system is having problems and find a solution.

The pattern of beeps whether its the number of beeps or the length of those beeps will give you an indication of the actual problem. Its a distress signal from the computer in a morse code like pattern. Unless you have a diagnostic card to tell you more about the particular problem, you will have to use the charts to decipher the computer error and get your machine back up and running.

Full chart is listed at http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Remember to connect the case's speaker cable to motherboard to hear these beebs.

Good Luck !! I hope this has been helpful
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2009 8:06:25 PM

I tried all of these but to no avail, but upon measuring the 12v output on the psu, it only provides 11.6volts but a friends psu (i can't put it in mine or i would) provides 12.2volts, could this be the problem?
September 6, 2009 2:25:32 PM

You should hear the beebs, are you sure you connected the case's speaker cable properly to the motherboard? (if you have, then it looks like you got a dead Board, I recommend you exchange it for another make, i.e Asus).

Regarding the power supply, even if its not faulty I think you need to get a higher wattage one, 450 Watts PSU is not enough for your hardwares.Get a branded 600-700W one.

Power requirements
Intel Q6600 processors: 105 W,
graphics: around 200W,
motherboard: up to 55 W
hard drive : anywhere between 5 and 15 W (you have 3, so times by 3)
DVD-rom?
Case fans?
CPU?
Memory

Gainward minimum PSU requirement for your card is 550W.
http://www.gainward.net/main/product/vga/pro/datasheet4...
!