A few noob SSD questions

brnkcv

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
EDIT: I just noticed this - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part - thread. Will read through this stuff to get myself up to snuff. Ignore this thread. I will start another one if I still have questions.

Hey guys, I am pretty new to the world of SSDs, but I am seriously considering getting one as a primary drive in my upcoming rig. Here are my questions, I would greatly appreciate some quality answers:

1. On all the benchmarks, the speeds vary based on queue depth. My primary concern is speed on booting and speed on loading lightish application load ie, firefox, MS Word, etc. What would the queue depth be on booting windows 7, and what will it be loading random applications one at a time and perhaps together.

2. related to the above question, what causes the SSD to be queued at a deeper level? Load? Amount of apps? Size of app?

3. Why do read/write speeds increase as the storage capacity of the drives increases? For example, a 80gb drive has much lower read/write speeds than a 200gb drive of the same generation, typically. What is that?

4. Any opinions on the Intel 320 80gb as a primary drive for speedy boot speeds and frequently used app loading?

robertomad

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I can only answer point 1. Being a first time SSD owner myself I have notice the difference but it was unfortunate that I have to return my Corsair Force 3 due to known issues. In terms of experience, honestly, benchmark doesn't really help in terms of realtime use. Boot time on windows 7 ultimate 64-bit is fast, on SSD it's less than a minute but on HDD it's 5 minutes literally.

As for application, I use Visual Studio 2010 and I timed it on HDD and it took almost 40seconds to load on HDD and only 17seconds on SSD. My wife who's not technical even notice the difference.