How long before price drops?

crosko42

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

You do realize you can still buy cards from the 3XXX series right? You will be able to buy 4XXX cards for quite a while.

OT: Probably once the shortages are over and possibly once nvidia does some price drops on their end.

jennyh

Splendid

I guess you can buy just about anything anywhere. I mean, I could go to Kazakhstan tomorrow and I'm pretty sure there will be a nice market for 6600gt's. I bet they cost a helluva lot less there than they do here now too. :p

As I'm currently selling three different 4-series cards, I do of course realise that they can still be bought. However, I'm not exactly an official seller, and that is what I assume the OP is looking for, seeing as he didn't specify otherwise, the reasonable assumption would be that he was waiting on ATI lowering prices. This is something that they have absolutely no reason to do because they have no competition at any price point, and the 4x series are already extremely cheap considering what they were at release.

ATI seems to have set the price-points on the 5800 based on the current 4800 price points. I doubt 4800s will go down much.

Its Nvidia that should be forced to reduce prices on the 200 series unless they have already cut production and are just going to let whats in the channel sell and get the 300 series out fairly soon.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

You go to kazakhstan for good deals on donkeys, if you want official sellers for 38xx just go here not kazakhstan (tho they may have a branch there)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102719

crosko42

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Yeah if thats not an official seller then I don't know what is...

jennyh

Splendid
In the UK you will be able to buy a 3-series card from someplace like Scan, but chances are it will be at a premium.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-94-535-0

There you go, one of the largest tech suppliers in the UK selling the 30-series at the sort of prices that nobody with a brain would actually pay.

Then again, $73 for a 3-series card on newegg when you can buy a 4850 for how much now?

Maybe it's not that different after all...if that 3870 is $73 how much is a cheap 4850? It can't be that much more surely?

redwine01

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
As the 5x series cards are not available yet and have a pretty distance between the 4x cards in the price so i think the price of 4x series is totally dependent on the price of 5850 or the 5770 cards (and ofcourse the rival cards like gtx260 and 275). Unless they are lowered a bit the 4x series cards may not see any price cut and that may not happen until Nvidia comes out with the new GT300 or the refreshed GT200 series(40nm). So yes you wont see any price cut very soon. Unless ofcourse Nvidia aggresively price the GTX260 to less than $150 the price of 4x series may not be going down anywhere soon. Maybe u will see it in christmas or later after

redwine01

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
One thing about my post, if Ati can demonstrate some clear advantages of dx10.1 (for example encoding dx11 application faster than normal dx10 cards does or some other...) then maybe a minor price cut on GTX260 or GTX275 may not be affecting the price of 4x series cards. At that time we may need a pretty good price cut on the rival cards to make Ati cut the price of 4x series. But anyways 4x series cards are pretty lower now a days. but if u can wait 3 months or something then maybe u would be a winner ending up buying a card with low price :)

just to make it worse on Nvidia ;)

on a side note, why would someone even think of buying a GTX 280/285/295 etc??? The 5850 and 5870 basically obliterate the 285 and the 295 while saving good coin at the same time....... What will the Egg and all other e-tailors/stores do with all those GPU's? Send them back to the manufacturer? lol :lol:

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

amd doesn't have th luxury of screwing with Nvidia, they need all the cash they can get. I think they made a big mistake by not going with the leaked price of 399 for the launch, then drop prices as supply catches up and the early adopters get their fill.

They did not make any mistake, even at the current prices they just made it worse for Nvidia knowing that since yesterday most users will ditch Nvidia for AMD's new line up.... Regardless of their pricing they will make up the money in mass sales.... If you have noticed the 5870's are sold out everywhere, and soon they will release the 5770,5850 and 5870x2.... Once AMD's whole lineup is mainstream, it will be up to Nvidia to counter attack with thier new lineup.... So in all Nvidias future looks bleek unless their next-gen cards can hang or surpass with anything AMD/ATI has to offer at a reasonable price and that is most likely not going to happen.....

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

I think they did, they lost 20 bucks off every card they sold at 380 cuz they STILL would have sold out. prices can always be dropped in a few weeks or a month

Look at it this way, when a company sells a product they would rather sell more for less than less for more... They used the same strategy that AMD used with the Phenoms and it worked, as opposed to Intel that produced a load of 975's that are sitting on top of shelves due to thier ridiculous pricetags. Another thing you have to remember is price to performance, in these hard times it is hard to sell a product that is overpriced and can be outperformed by another product that costs much less.