Buying in another two days..Final thoughts?

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Hi guys,

I'm buying three system units in another two days. And I have some questions needed to be answered fast... Hope you guys can help. The questions are at the end.

The systems:

1)

Phenom II 955
MSI GD 70
WD Caviar Black
Sapphire 4770
Corsair TX 850
Cooler Master HAF 922

2)

Phenom II 955
MSI GD 70
WD Caviar Black
Sapphire 4770
Corsair TX 650
Cooler Master CM 690

3)

Phenom II 720
MSI GD 65
WD Caviar Black
Sapphire 4770
Some Power Supply
Entry Level Cooler Master Casing

The problem I have is with the RAM.

I'm buying 4GB of RAM for each system. I'm planning for:

OCZ 6GB KIT TRIBLE PLATINUM 1600MHZ CL7-7-7-24 @ 1.65V

The problem is that the ram says that it is optimized for Intel Core i7 platform.

Will there be any problem if I buy two of those kits and put 4GB of RAM in each Rig?

tecmo34

Administrator
There is an issue... You will have 3 sticks of 2GB ram, which leave 1 slot open, which will effect AMD's dual channel funtion. I would recommend buying a 4GB set or only put 4GB's in and keep the other stick for backup. Your system will run better that way!!

On build No. 3... don't go with some power supply!! Stick with Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, or some models of OCZ & Antec. I would look at the Corsair 550w PSU for that build. As for a Case... I would go with the Cooler Master Elite 332 or Antec 300 (Maybe Antec 200 if you like it as well).

I would go with this MOBO for the first two builds... ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, which is a much more reliable board. I don't trust MSI and ASUS is concerned the best, along with Gigabyte.

Also, what is the reason for 1) & 2) builds? The only difference I see is the case and PSU? The 650w PSU will work with both builds, even if you go Crossfire and either case is just fine!

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I think he was saying the plan was to buy 2 of the 2x3GB sets, therefore getting 6 sticks. and then putting 2 sticks in each build. So unlike the typical thread where it's three possible options, this is 'actually buying all 3.' Hence builds 1 and 2 being similar. ^_^

Yup, that's exactly what he's doing and it will work fine to buy two 6GB kits and put two sticks in each build.

The only problem I see is with the MSI motherboards. I've had much better luck with Asus and Gigabyte.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
It would be extremely helpful to know what applications will be used and how much multi-tasking and to know why the differences between the systems and if you plan to OC. Apparently you did not read of chose to ignore the contents of the stickee about posting in this forum.

But just going on what little info we have:

HSF, Optical Drive, OS - I assume you have programmed these and just don't need input on them.

PSU - agree with tecmo - 650w should be plenty for System 1 unless there is a special requirement you are not telling us about. Actually unless planning to add a second graphics card - then 500w would be more than enought and still allow for OC and a modest upgrade in the video card or a large upgrade in the graphics card.

RAM - not sure till see applications but given the other components it tends to indicate that maybe the 1600MHz memory could be trimmed back to 1066MHz for a significant saavings - assuming it is compatible with whatever mobo you end up with

Depending again on different uses, and given minor differences betweein 1 & 2 - did you consider that there might be some advantage to having them all nearly the same - except maybe the cases if there is a reason for this? You could see what the cost would be to upgrade #3 and if it is worth it for standardization for earies upgrade and maintenance.

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

Thx!

Actually the first build is going for Crossfire. The second build may not go for crossfire...All builds are waiting for AMD Evergreen GPUs...So the cards are just temporary...

Is MSI really bad? Actually the issue is the budget. Why don't you trust MSI?

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

Thx a lot!

none of the systems need more than 650 watt

the samsung F3 500 gig is faster than any WD black hard drive and very cheap

the gd70 mb is very expensive 790FX that will be at its best with two high end graphics cards . You are not fitting high end gfx cards so if the computers will only ever have a single card use either
MSI 770-C45 or GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P

or if you want to add a second 4770 use a 790g series mb which has a pair of 8x buses that will easily be enough for 4770's

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

Mostly for Gaming while listening to music... And doing some 3D design... Surfing Internet while opening like 50 tabs... While listening music...

Huhu my bad.. I did read the stickee...I just thought it is more like a guideline than a rule...

OS - Waiting for Windows 7. Optical - Waiting for Blu - Ray drive prices to go a lil bit down.... Just sticking with samsung DVD RW for now...

The first two system will go for Crossfire....Just waiting for the Evergreen...

For #2, the power supply and casing are already bought...Got the power supply as a present. So just using them..

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

the cards are temporary....Waiting for Cypress =)

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

Ahh...Looks like I need to rethink my budget...

rockyjohn

Distinguished
So really then your question is what is the best system for gaming and CAD (two very different applications that together - in the same system that is - tax all the major components and warrant maximizing them all) - limited to considering only alternative CPU, mobo, memory, and PSU? And of course this is limited by an unstated budget.

Except that you really aren't asking for input on that or providing the information to comment, but just to answer the narrow quesiton you originally asked about the memory. The answer to that was partially given - you can "remix" the two sets and just because it says it it optimized for i7 does not mean it will not work with AMD. The only little part missing is to add the caveat that you should be selecting from the mobo compatible list to avoid incompatibilities and/or headaches trying to get it to run.

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
The HSF will be cooler master V8... Because my friend is selling cheap and other cooler are too big and covers the RAM so I cannot use any RAM cooler...Or any other suggestions?

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

Actually I just want to ask about the RAM.... And using CAD just 0.5% or maybe 1% of the use.... Want to game lots and lots... But then you guys make me rethink and rethink...

Okey I will check from the mobo compatible list...

Thx

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Oh man... but anyways, if it's mostly for gaming and not really for CAD at all, then that's fine. Yeah just do what people said earlier and consider a different motherboard. I've never had any experience with MSI so I don't have an opinion towards them. Also remember that just because the RAM isn't on the compatibility list doesn't mean it won't work. I had a motherboard that only had two or three brands listed on its compatibility list... Kinda silly.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I agree with the guys here, avoid MSI. According to my experiences I had nothing but blue screen from MSI boards, basically is not that reliable. The motherboard is one of the most critical part in a system, spend abit more and Go for Asus.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I just realized the cause of the confusion on the thread. The title of the thread. More particularly the words "final thoughts" - which is code for - ok here is what I have worked out for a final system, please review it and see if you any suggestions for changes. But then all nano asked about was the memory and did not provide the other information required to evaluate a system - like uses and applications and planned short term upgrades.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

Very good point - this should be Intel's attampt to grab back more of the mainstream market and precisely the area into which your selections fall. If nothing else, it might force another round of price cuts from AMD.