GTX 285 dusting problem

I own an EVGA GTX 285 and I've recently dusted out my pc using a compressed air can while I was properly grounded. Everything went along like usual, until i got to my video card. I noticed a lot of dust on the fan, so I used my air can to remove it. However after 1 spray I heard a crackling like sound and immediately stopped and tried to boot and see what had happened. (it kind of scared me since that's never happened before :P ) I held the fan in place when dusting it, so the fan didn't spin it on its own. The card still works the same, and keeps the same temps.

Problem: ever since I dusted it it's been making this loud rattling sound that gets pretty loud and annoying and it's never done that before. I know the video card fan normally makes a sound on this card and i'm quite used to that. this sound is NOT normal at all. anyone know what could be wrong? should I finish dusting it? I just don't want to damage it further assuming it could be damaged. Sorry this seems a bit long, I just wanted to give you all the information I know.
7 answers Last reply
More about dusting problem
  1. If it were me, I would remove the card and inspect it.
  2. avens37 said:
    Problem: ever since I dusted it it's been making this loud rattling sound that gets pretty loud and annoying and it's never done that before. I know the video card fan normally makes a sound on this card and i'm quite used to that. this sound is NOT normal at all. anyone know what could be wrong? should I finish dusting it? I just don't want to damage it further assuming it could be damaged. Sorry this seems a bit long, I just wanted to give you all the information I know.

Those small compressed air cans result in extreme lowering of temperature. Only short bursts should be used to avoid localized thermal cycling. I prefer to use a full size compressor whereby the long hose allows for normalization of temperatures. I'd remove the card and inspect it. You may have cracked something.
  3. Sounds like a possibility, thanks for the input. Im going to take it out in a few minutes and take a look at it. The rattling has actually disappeared recently. Not sure if that's permanent or not.
  4. Never spray for more than about 30 seconds without allowing 2 minutes for it to warm up again, they use liquids with high vapor pressure that turn into a gas at low temperature and high pressures, this is very similar to how a CO2 fire extinguisher works, both result in extremely low temperatures if used for more than short bursts. Since the rattling disappeared it may have been an issue with the bearings in the fan having changed size due to the temperature change.
  5. hunter315 said:
    Never spray for more than about 30 seconds without allowing 2 minutes for it to warm up again,.....

I'd like to qualify that statement ..... 30 seconds as you wave the wand all over the place is "no bigga deal". However, holding the nozzle pointed at a small localized area, especially if confined such as thru a fan port, can easily drop the temp 100+ degrees in just a few seconds. It is even worse if the can is tilted in which case the liquified air gets onto the components.

Here's a MSDS type thing regarding frostbite

http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Basics/HazAlerts/CannedAir0608.pdf
    http://www.timeatlas.com/mos/The_News/General/Potential_Office_Hazards/
  6. If you use those canned air things after about 30 seconds of use you can get frost bite from a half second burst at short range, you dont even have to spray it in the same place for very long because the air in the can tends to get down to very low temperatures.
  7. Thanks for the info, I never knew how fast it could damage something..I'll be more careful in the future. I finished dusting the video card and now the sound is gone and like i said before, still 60fps in high end games and normal temps. All is good and now i've learned something.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Fan Graphics