Nov 26, 2009
How many wattage do I need for my PC
specs:
Asus X-Series P5GPL-X
Intel Pentium 4 3.21GHz
2GB of DDR ram 2x1GB
ATi Sapphire Radeon HD 4770 512MB GDDR5w/6pin power 40nm PCI Express
Sound Blaster 5.1

Right now I am using a Simbadda 500W PSU and people said that it does not have pure power and will not be good
I need answers thanks!!

Solution
The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

The ATI Radeon HD 4770 video card is a very good general purpose video card that does not require very much power so you should be okay.

I was not able to find a competent technical review of your power supply.
The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

The ATI Radeon HD 4770 video card is a very good general purpose video card that does not require very much power so you should be okay.

I was not able to find a competent technical review of your power supply.

Solution

yuuo123

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply! I was scared I'm gonna have a hardware failure or something because of my power supply since I used to have a crappy 8400GT
once again thanks! 1 more question It's still okay to play games with it right?

The 8400GT or the 4770 are you talking about?

if you can play games really depends on which games you want to play aswell as the resolution and settings and if you want to enable AA or not. So, which games do you want to play?

Another way you can find out is to look up a review of the radeon 4770 on google. tomshardware and hardware canucks I find to have competent reviews. Skip over to the benchmarks page and look at the various games and the resolutions and settings they tested them at.

yuuo123

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Well after looking at JohnnyLucky's post I tried playing games with the new installed 4770 i playedd left 4 dead with highest settings 8xAA bilinear 1024x800 and runs fine though I have Crysis, GTA IV, and Star Wars the Force Unleashed.
I only tried to play l4d for starting so I'm still a bit shakey about the PSU thingy.

Last January Tom's hardware published an article about actual power consumption while playing games. A typical user with a pc having just one video card rarely used more than 300 watts at the wall outlet (mains). There are some exceptions, especially with very serious overclocking, high end video cards, high resolutions, and high settings.

The ATI Radeon HD 4770 is not a high end video card. Instead, it is an excellent general purpose card that is energy efficient. It just happened to perform reasonably well when two of the cards were used in Crossfire mode.

Here is a link to Tom's Hardware original review of the 4770:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4770,2281.html

Here is a link to Tom's Hardware review of the 4770 in crossfire mode:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfire,2288.html

NOTE - There are quite a few charts with results for a variety of games.

power_peak.gif

power_maximum.gif