Sign in with
Your question

DDR3 1800MHz supported?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 23, 2010 12:19:28 PM

I was determined to upgrade my AMd 64 1Gb machine and I did just this but...
I bought Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AMD785G mATX AM3. I really wanted a Gigabyte board for my new build. I planned to use 1800Mhz DDR3 as various websites claim this board can run with 1800MHz + DDR3! Great. So I steered clear of the slower DDR3 1600MHz and decided to step up a notch to 1800MHz.

I got some Zeppellin 2x2GB 1800MHz CL8 DDR3. The board defaults to slowest DDR3 1066MHz (x4 multiplier). The x8 multiplier is needed for 1600MHz DDR3. This is frustrating as I have 1800MHz DDR3 Cl8 running at 1600MHz as this the maximum permitted in the BIOS. So how on Earth can the board run 1800MHz DDR3?

I don't know how to get the DDR3 running at the 1800MHz it's capable of. I think I need Easytune6 to overclock but this program won't run.

Any help?

System: Amd 965 Phenom II x4 3.4Ghz Black edition

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AMD785G mATX AM3

2x2gb PC14400 1800MHz DDR3 Zeppelin

1Tb Samsung F2 ECO green.

Samsung SH223 22x DVD Rewriter.

Case: Shiny Red & Black with lcd display

All from ebuyer except for the DDR3.

Best Wishes

Paul

More about : ddr3 1800mhz supported

a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 12:34:31 PM

You will need to raise the Bclk (CPU Frequency in the BIOS) to 237...
February 23, 2010 2:26:21 PM

the Bclk? CPU runs at 3.4Ghz which is spot on. Are you saying i need to increase CPU frequency to increase Ram speed to 1800MHz. This is my first real build and it's frustrating that the 1800MHz + isn't more easily acheivable.

Should i mess with memory timings? Also will it matter that DDr3 voltage is 1.7V instead of 1.8V?
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 3:01:55 PM

You can't 'dial in' any memory multiplier you want; though they are expressed as a decimal number - they are not! They are integer ratios, denoting bus frequency dividers/multipliers: 4.00 is 2:1; 5.33 is 8:3; 6.66 is 10:3; 8.00 is 4:1... These are set, in hardware, by configurable 'strap' bits in the processor - what you gets is, well, what you gets! Again, to hit an oddball frequency you need an oddball clocking, as the mult's are fixed.
February 23, 2010 3:22:00 PM

Thank you. So to accomodate the 1800MHz DDR3 I need to increase the FSB frequency?

What does Bclk stand for, FSB clock?

Am I right in thinking Ii's v difficult to get DDR3 running at exactly 1800MHz?
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 3:32:37 PM

galacticman said:
Thank you. So to accomodate the 1800MHz DDR3 I need to increase the FSB frequency?

What does Bclk stand for, FSB clock?

Am I right in thinking Ii's v difficult to get DDR3 running at exactly 1800MHz?

Correct - Bclk == Base Clock (aka FSB) and a Bclk of 225 with the Ram Multiplier set at 8 will give you 1800 (225x8 = 1800)!!
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 4:00:33 PM

Gaakk! Dunno how I flubbed the math the first time, but, praise Murphy, I'm FINALLY (thirty-one days for a 'cross-ship'!) back on my normal ( :love:  exceedingly fast, four-monitor) workstation, so this can get back to normal (at least, after I hit the 'driver of the week' clubs at ATI, and RealTek :pt1cable:  )

Everything has a Bclk, but it's not always actually called that in their documentation; for the new Intels (i5/i7) it's 133 MHz; for AMDs, it's 200MHz; for Intel 775s, it's the FSB / 4...
February 23, 2010 6:30:01 PM

thanks again, the 227 seemed strange but I went into bios and looked. CPU Host controller frequency is 200, so as an experiment I altered to 201 and DDR3 frequency increased to 1608MHz. So, I need to increase to 225 to get to 1800MHz. But the AM3 965 frequency will increase and the northbridge,fsb etc.

Will the board be able to able to withstand such a big change or am i worrying to much? This set up cost a bit so i'm very cautious and never overclocked before and wish i didn't have to.

I wish I'd have just bought 1600MHz DDR3. 3.5Gb of the 4Gb DDR3 1800MHz is usable.

CPU Z says Ram is PC12800 but i wonder if it's basing this on 1600MHz frequency.

a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 6:40:44 PM

Your processor may do the necessary 3.8 with no (or maybe a tenth) voltage increase; or, if you really don't want it OC'd at all, you can lower the CPU multipler from the stock 17 to 15: 225 x 15 = 3.375, just a tiny tad lower than the rated 3.4...
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 6:54:37 PM

I also have DDR3 1800 RAM that I just run at 1600 with lower voltage (they are rated 1800 8-8-8-24-2T @1.9V and I run them at 1600 8-8-8-24-1T @ 1.7V ) I mainly bought the 1800 rated kit since it was a few dollars cheaper than comparable 1600 modules when I purchased and it does give me the overhead if I do decide to increase the Bclk when OCing - so if you really do not want to OC then you can run them at the 1600 speed and they will run fine and then if you do decide to OC the system later at least you have the RAM that should allow it !
February 23, 2010 7:00:32 PM

ahh, how do i alter the stock multiplier. there's a CPU ratio which is an auto and manual settings start at 5 upwards. Could you give a bit more detail on how to do this please?

you say the cpu would cope at 3.8 but how about the FSB?
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 7:24:40 PM

There is no front system bus on socket AM2, AM2+, or AM3 systems...

To lower the multiplier, go to the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page of the BIOS and change "CPU Clock Ratio" from 17.0 to 15.0; also, set "PCIE Clock(MHz)" to 100 (not 'auto', as for some boards, the auto setting doesn't work correctly at a higher Bclk...
February 23, 2010 8:14:41 PM

JDFan: Great to know u also have 1800MHz DDR3 running at 1600MHz. I set voltage at 1.7V also but am experimenting with 1.65V.

CL8 I believe. Oh when i first installed RAM default was 1066MHz and on bootup just 2.75Gb usable but at 1600MHz 3.5Gb usable.

Nice to know the 1800MHz will be fine running at 1600MHz, I did worry about voltages being slightly out or timings.

I'll try to post timings.

easytune6 won't run either and I believe that would find the optimum settings.
It's good to know there are options.

bilbat: Thank you again. I'll consider both overclock and underclock options. Seems like a trade slightly slower CPU clock for 1800MHz DDR3 running to full potential.
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 8:32:46 PM

Yeah the RAM can run at any speed lower than it is rated just fine so shouldn't be a problem (and usually you can also lower the Voltage or tighten up the timings when running them that way)- but it is good to have the headroom of the faster speed in case you do start OCing.

Also you could just lower the CPU multiplier to 15.5 instead and that would leave you at 3.487 GHz. so just a slight overclock of the CPU instead of lowering it to 15. (lots of options and you just need to test them to find which works best for you !!) - just remember that the Hyperthread frequency and the Northbridge frequency is also adjusted with the bclk so might need to be tweaked as well to get it all stable running the bclck at 225.

I haven't had the time to really try messing with the bclk yet so not sure how picky the hyperthread and northbridge frequencies are when you start adjusting the bclk but there are seperate bios settings for them that can be lowered also (ie. changing the northbridge frequency from the 10 multiplier stock to 9 would give you 2025Mhz. with the bclk of 225 which is pretty close to the 2000Mhz. stock setting)
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 8:58:25 PM

Memory speed is vastly overrated (mainly, by, and for the benefit of, the memory marketers...); latencies matter, raw speed matters little; you never, ever, ever get real-world situations that do extensive contiguous transfers to/from memory (that's why 'synthetic memory benchmarks are called synthetic!) unless you're transcoding video; what you get is dribs and drabs, from here and there, each the size of a cache page, all seperated by one or the other of the latency periods!
February 24, 2010 8:26:14 AM

interesting i'm learning a lot here. According to CPU Z latency is 11 but latency was advertised to be CL8.

The SPD tab states latency as 5,6,7,8 and there's more rows of numbers i don't understand.

How do you adjust latencies in bios, is it safer to set to auto?

re: under/overclocking which method is the safest in terms of board and CPU preservation?

last night i experimented with cpu ratio and bclk. I managed to get the RAM up to 1800MHz but reverted back to normal as i got a bit scared.

I'm not as worried about the CPU being able to handle underclock and slight overclock but more worried about board. This is a bit crazy as the CPU is the most expensive part on my new build.
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2010 1:02:42 PM

The Latency you change under the DRAM configuration line on your MB Intelligent tweaker page - there will be alot of settings but you want to change the CAS# Latency, RAS to CAS R\w Delay, Row Precharge TIme, Minimum RAS Active TIme, and 1T/2T Command Timing - ( to 8-8-8-24- 1T) or (8-8-8-24-2T) if the first setting does not work for some reason - the 1T is a bit faster but some RAM has problems running with 1T.

You really do not need to worry about the MOBO unless you start upping the Voltages beyond specs as they are designed to run at those speeds and voltages (worst case the MOBO will not boot and will auto recover so you can adjust the settings - They are much safer now than in the old days when you had to set the voltages\speed settings by placing jumpers on banks of switches on the MOBO.)
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 24, 2010 1:42:43 PM

Quote:
How do you adjust latencies in bios, is it safer to set to auto?

It is safer to let the BIOS set it's own latencies, assuming it gets them right! But, therein lies the rub; for some unkown reason, it often just does not work correctly... I may soon know a bit more about the ins-and-outs of this process, as yesterday, someone pointed me at a massive 'slew' of documentation regarding the physical operation of the AMD chips, as well as, apparently, large chunks of 'pseudo-code' examples of BIOS start-up routines - but, it will take a while - there's a lot of it, and I'm still working my way through the Intel 5520 docs for another possible product. CPU-Z does not do an optimum job of showing you the SPD values; I usually recommend MemSet, but several people have had it not work on AMDs, and MemSet itself seems to recommend CPU-Tweaker:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/CPU-Tweaker14b10.zip
The trick here is to run it, and capture and post both the main screen, and the screen that appears when you click the SPD button...

If you've never captured and posted an image to the forum, there is a tutorial here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264718-30-capture-pos...
February 24, 2010 9:17:47 PM

hi thank you all and for the link.

Advice here has made me a bit bolder and wiser and read today someone had increased Bclk to 2600MHz. So I figured 2025MHz would be a very safe starting point for first overclock.

I have altered BIOS 15.5x CPU multiplier 3.487GHz

Bclk 225 and altered multiplier from 10 to 9. So NB frequency 2025MHz

HT Link also 2025MHz

PCIE Clock set to 100

RAM showing 1800MHz. Advertised rating is 1.8V so I altered from 1.65V to 1.7V.

This affected graphics and system crashed with blue screen on boot. So I set RAM voltage back to 1.65V and this seemed to improve stability but got another blue screen and had to restore windows from restore mode and boot up in safe mode a couple of times.

On boot DDR3 is still stated as 1600MHz and CAS is 11 in BIOS. Should be 8 but dram frequency 900MHz

NB frequency 2025MHz

CAS 11,11,11,24

Bank to cycle rate 40
Command Rate 2T,

Ran Memtest and error message something like RAM not able to hold data.

I'm concerned I may have been sold wrong memory or it isn't what it should be.

Thank you for other links on how to post bios images. Doing such things is a bit awkard as newbuild isn't yet on the net and is a virtually bare system. I've tried to add a few test programs via usb stick.

I'd like to alter latencies but what do i alter 110ms to on DIMM 1 and 3 and 90ms on DIMM 2 and 4.

I look forward to more info and glad bilbat has a lot of technical AMD writeups to wade through.
February 26, 2010 4:18:23 PM

hi thanks again, sorry for delay. i've been plodding on and have only briefly looked at document.

more info 1800MHz DDR3: Memtest 216 errors at 20% coverage so i wonder could the memory be faulty?

Same memory at 1600MHz yielded zero errors at 10% coverage. So I wonder id the increased RAM speed causing more problems.

Are gigabyte boards capable of displaying memory speeds above 1600Mhz on boot up. I ask as i've increased speed to 1800MHz and 1600MHz is still displayed on bootup.

i tried to play a sample vid last night and machine crashed with a memory error but same vid played fine tonight with RAM at 1600MHz..

i tried to increase DRAM timings but did not know exactly what to put for all the parameters. (the link to the guide very useful)

most common is the 4 number sequence such as 8,8,8,24 but what parameters do you need for all the other timing parameters?

i'm getting a bit cheesed off with all the errors, bios beeps, boot failures when i alter parameters.

I've now read more of the AMD overdive guide a find it useful, particularly DDR3 timings.

boot up and shut down's slow too. it's a 3.4GHz phenom ii x4 965 with 4gb ddr3 but my old machine seems faster with 1 gb of ddr1. I think something's wrong.

the amd overdrive wouldn't install and only partially installed then stopped. So I decided to revert back to base levels with RAM at 1600MHz.

The machine performed better and AMD Overdrive installed but failed to load.

I'm thinking maybe I should settle with the 1600MHz speed even though it's apparently DDR3 1800MHz. My new build performs much better with RAM at 1600MHz and this puzzles me. CL11 I don't like though.

Best wishes

Paul
March 1, 2010 5:57:12 PM

CPU Tweaker screenshts for your perusal and comment.

DDR3 was sold me as 1800MHz cl8.

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 6:33:26 PM

Think you've been 'hosed' by a memory company!
The only "Zeppellin" that comes to mind for me:

is this one; suggest anything?? :kaola: 
March 1, 2010 7:03:45 PM

? are the ram timings wrong? memory was sold to me as PC14400 DDR3 1800MHz. Works at 1600MHz.

zepellin is a memory company but haven't a site in english language.
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 7:52:58 PM

The [missing] SPD table entries identified as N/A (especially the right-most one) are where your supposed '1800' timings should be...

Much to my surprise, I did find some actual (supposedly) 1800 memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
but it's all designed for i5/i7 useage - and I guess I should not be too surprised, it appears there is an endless supply of i5/i7-owning suckers with too much money and not enough sense to understand that three speeds are supported by Intel for i5/i7: 800, 1066, and 1333, and THAT's IT - and it won't do any good for them, as memory speed does not 'scale', and they're paying up to TWO-HUNDRED-THIRTY-SEVEN DOLLARS A 2G DIMM!!!

Leave it at 1600 - you'll never see the difference, and it's just basically an 'oddball' speed - probably buying up chips swept off the fab floor...
March 1, 2010 8:39:45 PM

argh so u don't think it;s 1800MHz RAM? I have suspected it's only 1600MHz as i'vee had so many problems when overclocking to 1800MHz.

I quizzed the seller a few days and they said i could have a refund. i'd pay postage though. The seller also quoted jedec standards and said to run it fsb should b e at 350MHz! I coouldn't believe this as i know that's way to high. Ok for 2500MHz DDR3 though ehh?

the ddr3 does work ok at 1600MHz but haven't tested fully.

would cputweaker recognise pc 14400 DDR3? it states pc 12800.

I bought all high spec parts but the RAM was a bargain. Maybe i should have stuck with popular trusted brands.

the cl11 is most annoying for me as RAM was advertised as CL8. CPU tweaker does say CL9 in one section though.
March 1, 2010 8:52:52 PM

it's so bad that so many are being duped into buying supposedly ultra fast memory especially when it won't and cannot perform better than slower. less expensive memory.
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 9:02:34 PM

You can try it at 1600; really cheap 1600 runs around 9-9-9-27, ever so slightly better stuff at 8-8-8-24; if it won't run at those specs (and leave the sub-timings where "LoadOpt" sets 'em, we can always fiddle with those later), you can join the long line of people who've been taken to the cleaners by memory vendors...

Do you happen to have a copy of what they purported to be from JEDEC? I'd be curious to have a look...
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 9:13:56 PM

I've got my 2GB kit of Crucial Ballistix Rated at 1800 CS 8 @1.9V (bought for $54 back in December) running on my system at 1600 8-8-8-24-1T @ 1.7V and they have been fine - Here's an Everest Screenie : (have a Phenom II X3 720 with unlocked 4th core running at 3.2 Ghz.)

March 1, 2010 9:22:00 PM

Well, I asked "hi yes i've overclocked to 1800mhz but no success with timings other than cas 11. v frustrating."
the reply from seller
"Yes - those are Jedec standards which will require your processor to be at FSB 350MHZ+ - instead of 200Mhz."

I briefly researched jedec standards online.

sent a question about item #270532009486, ending on Feb-25-10 09:21:56 PST - 4GB 2x 2GB PC3-14400 DDR3 1800MHZ DDR3-1800 4 GB CL 8

LoadOpt? Do u think the RAM will be ok even though slow at 1600MHz. I don't understand the figures fully and whether it's cas 9 or 11. I haven't any success with altering memory timings yet.

If i do keep the RAM will it limit my options say if i want to upgrade to 8Gb and fill up ther other 2 DIMM sockets?
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 9:22:35 PM

@ Bilbat - Here is an everest SPD report if that is of any use :

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 10:23:29 PM

JDFan -

Thanks for the everest; I wouldn't mind having a CPU-Tweaker report:
for that, too - never know when it'll be handy - it might give us some ideas about where to go with sub-timings in this case, for the AMD. The point I'm always trying to make isn't that all this ridiculous proliferation of memory speeds won't work - some will, and easily; some will, but try your patience along the way, and some just won't - the main thing is that, especially for i5/i7, (and, I suspect, for anything with a 'local' memory controller) memory speed doesn't 'scale' - the gains (except in a very few, tightly constrained situations) are just not worth the expense, time, and/or effort. I've pointed this out over and over: nearly every single time you access memory, it's to 'cure' the cache - either to write out a 'dirtied' page, or to 'fill up' a 'miss' - it's almost never from contiguous locations, and you are nearly always 'waiting on' one or the other of the latencies (which is why low latency is worth paying for...)

galacticman -

I've got, probably, a hundred and fifty JEDEC specs here - and mostly, they make my eyes bleed! They are very difficult to 'get' (at least, :kaola:  for me!), and the biggest problem is pretty much the same as with Intel specs - where in the world to look! I took inventory the other day, while trying to digest the 5520 IOH specs, as I actually intend to use a couple, and realized that I have approaching seven thousand pages of PDFs on i5/i7, counting the original X58 and P55 stuff, the additional QPI, 55xx, and the new H55/57 family stuff... It's reaching the point where insanity is setting in! (...'course, I've never claimed to be sane; I'm manic/depressive ['bipolar' is the 'politically correct' term :pt1cable:  ] - two nights without sleep, and I'm prowling around on the ceiling with my tinfoil hat on!)

Quote:
If i do keep the RAM will it limit my options say if i want to upgrade to 8Gb and fill up ther other 2 DIMM sockets?

Umm, my best answer (at this point, anyway) is - I don't know! With the DDR2 stuff, it was set in stone - you could run a pair of DIMMs in dual channel, ganged or unganged, at 1066; if you wanted four DIMMs, you were constrained to DDR2-800... I haven't seen anything this cut & dried for DDR3 - but - AMD has recently released a whole slew of new documentation - I've read a little, and haven't even gotten 'round to even exploring what's available, much less what's in it... I will try to make a point of at least getting a look and picking out a raft of stuff to download, and then try to wade through it; but, I can't promise a time schedule - it's not much like ripping through a 'Harry Potter' volume! :lol: 

a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 12:01:59 AM

bilbat said:
JDFan -

Thanks for the everest; I wouldn't mind having a CPU-Tweaker report:
for that, too - never know when it'll be handy - it might give us some ideas about where to go with sub-timings in this case, for the AMD.

Not a problem - Here you go :

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 2:26:50 PM

Excellent! Thanks again :hello: 
March 2, 2010 3:48:41 PM

Great screenshots of your system and very interesting. A lot to compare with my system. I planned on getting the same board as you but it was a bit out of my price range.

Your system runs cool 0C. I haven't run my new build much but with 2 case fans and a 250mm fan on the side the cpu gets to about 46 C.

Your screenshots very useful to compare and analyse.

Can you and bilbat highlight anything to compare that's of high importance or anything that's obvious to you but not to me as I'm less experienced.

I'll try to get that Everest software and by the way easytune6 works now. I just did not realise i had to go hidden icons, right click and select show.
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 5:09:17 PM

galacticman said:
Great screenshots of your system and very interesting. A lot to compare with my system. I planned on getting the same board as you but it was a bit out of my price range.

Your system runs cool 0C. I haven't run my new build much but with 2 case fans and a 250mm fan on the side the cpu gets to about 46 C.

Your screenshots very useful to compare and analyse.

Can you and bilbat highlight anything to compare that's of high importance or anything that's obvious to you but not to me as I'm less experienced.

I'll try to get that Everest software and by the way easytune6 works now. I just did not realise i had to go hidden icons, right click and select show.

The Individual Core temps stop working when you unlock the additional cores on an AMD CPU - like my X3 720 they then always show 0C on all the reporting software - but some of the programs do still report the overall CPU temp accurately so (which on this MOBO is 8-10C higher than the Individual Temps report when they were working before unlocking the 4th core) so it reallly is not a problem as long as you know !
March 2, 2010 5:52:07 PM

Appreciate your advice and input. Masses of technical data could send anyone zany especially if the haystack's large.

seller said today to get 1800MHz OC needed and must bypass Jedec standard. not sure what this means and everytime i alter memory timings my system doesn't like it.

idea: on my board box it says 1666MHz+ but on website it states 1800MHz +. Maybe my mobo is rev 1 and rev1 .1 is 1800MHz+ version.

i'm clutching at straws though I think.

I read somewhere that extra RAM will only run as fast as slowest ram on system. Therefore if i bought say 1600MHx cas8 in future in may only run at cas11 at speed of my supposedly 1800MHz DDR3? Or would both dual channells act indepently.

a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 6:27:38 PM

The system will only run at the single speed for all of the ram modules - and therefore will have to run at the slower speed of the sets (otherwise if trying to run at the faster speed the system will not be stable if one set can not run at that speed.

On those that you have you should be able to run them at 1600 with a CAS 8 instead of 11 (if they were supposedly 1800 CAS 8 they should definitely run at a slower 1600 at the same latency. - Have you tried manually inputting the latencies in the BIOS as well as the Voltages and speed setting ?
March 2, 2010 8:11:27 PM

JDFan said:
The system will only run at the single speed for all of the ram modules - and therefore will have to run at the slower speed of the sets (otherwise if trying to run at the faster speed the system will not be stable if one set can not run at that speed.

On those that you have you should be able to run them at 1600 with a CAS 8 instead of 11 (if they were supposedly 1800 CAS 8 they should definitely run at a slower 1600 at the same latency. - Have you tried manually inputting the latencies in the BIOS as well as the Voltages and speed setting ?

hi, I tried voltage at 1.65V and 1.7V for 1800MHz but now have set to auto.

in bios i tried to manually alter times to cas 8 and got a boot failure, also with cas 10 but i wasn't sure how or exactly what parameters to set.

tried to alter again yesterday with cpu tweaker but didn't eexactly know what parameters to set and which ones apart from cas timings.

Where do i start? I don't mind sticking to 1600MHz but the high cas is bugging me.
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 8:38:43 PM

IF your Bios is the same as mine (hopefully Gigabyte doesn't change things on different boards too much ) - go into your BIOS and go to the MB inteligent Tweaker page - go to the set Memory clock line and change Auto to Manual then go down 1 line to memory clock and change to x8 (for 1600). THen go down to the System Voltage COntrol LIne and change from Auto to Manual - and on the DDR3 Voltage line change it from normal to +.1 (1.7v) or +.2 (1.8V) (since your Ram modules state 1.8Volts as their running voltage) Then go up to the DRAM Configuration line and press enter to go to the Dram configuration page.

On that page change CAS# latency from auto to 8, RAS to CAS R\W Delay to 8, Row Precharge TIme to 8 , Minimum RAS active time to 24, and 1T\2T Command TIming to 2 (can try 1 later if 2 works but best to try with it set to 2 first) - Leave the others as they are (auto) and then save the changes and see if it will boot.

If it does not boot at those settings when it resets go back into the BIOS and try changing the values to 9-9-9-27 (also check the speed is x8 and the Voltage 1.8) and save and try to boot again. - If that still will not work then the RAM modules you got are not running at their rated speeds and you might want to RMA them or get a refund and try some other RAM.
March 2, 2010 9:46:51 PM

go back into the BIOS and try changing the values to 9-9-9-27 (also check the speed is x8 and the Voltage 1.8) and save and try to boot again. - If that still will not work then the RAM modules you got are not running at their rated speeds and you might want to RMA them or get a refund and try some other RAM.[/quotemsg]

Some progress: 9, 9,9, 27 boots up fine and restarts boot sometimes on boot there's no menu bar in windows. 8,8,8,24 yields 1 o f those dia boot errors about OCing and incompatibilty.

Voltage : I added 0.05 so 1.65V at 1600Mhz. I assume i don't 1.8V as that's for 1800MHz. Wonder should i increase more for lower cas.

Also 1T changed from 2T.

CPU tweaker says Cas# 7 top row, then 9, 9, 27.

spd reamains the same.

I'm pleased i've made some progress and appreciate all help and advice.

Does cas 9 sound good to you guys considering the change from 11.

I'll check and test at cas9.
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 9:59:17 PM

9 is better than the 11 but you should be able to get to cas 8 by adding a bit more voltage (the modules may need a bit more voltage to remain stable so try 1.7V or 1.75V and see if then it will boot with the cas set at 8 (the slightly higher voltage will sometimes let the module run more stable at tighter timings - since they are spec'd as 1.8V you might even try running them at that voltage to see if they then boot and if so try lowering the voltage a small amount at a time to see what voltage they will remain stable at (ie. start at the 1.8V and then if that is stable try 1.75V - If still stable try the next lower step etc. until it is not stable and then go back a step which will be the lowest it will run stable at. - Some modules require more voltage than others to run stable at certain timings.
March 3, 2010 12:22:44 PM

[thanks, great info. I've tried 1.75V but boot failure for cas 8. Is it safe to up voltage to 1.8V? I know this is the specified voltage for 1800MHz but will voltage differ for 1600MHz.

I've generated a load of Everest reports and benchmarks. All fascinating. will feedback here.

initial observations. My system within top 6 for a few things but behind Intel xeons, 8 cores, Opterons, intel 96 5 extreme and x58s.

memory approx 60ns. 1333MHz memory on intels outperforms my system and lower cas. The faster intels 9,9,9,24 slightly better i think than 9,9,9,27.

I am a novice though at this. Like to post whole report here.

memory copy was better than memory read and write benchmarks.
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 12:33:11 PM

For your modules 1.8V is fine (it could be a problem for modules rated to run at 1.5 or 1.65V but yours are designed for that voltage so it will not damage them (and if it does then they needed to be replaced anyway since they are not what you purchased if 1.8V damages them !) - and while some 1.8V modules will run on less voltage some actually need that much voltage to remain stable even at the lower 1600 speed.

On the reports Copy will always be the fastest - IF you look at the first info screens I posted you'll see my memory performance listed ( 8921MB\s Read, 6716MB\s write, and 10610MB\s)
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 1:08:29 PM

This is from one of my (myriad) overlock postings, I think it may help simplify your 'tweaking":

Quote:
...I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

Quote:
I read somewhere that extra RAM will only run as fast as slowest ram on system. Therefore if i bought say 1600MHx cas8 in future in may only run at cas11 at speed of my supposedly 1800MHz DDR3? Or would both dual channells act indepently.

It's never a good idea to 'mix & match' DIMMs, which is, if you are eventually thinking about going with more memory, a good reason to return the stuff you've got and buy a reputable brand - you'll have some hope of getting 'matched' modules later on... Sometimes (but not always) it's possible to eventually 'hand tweak' mis-matched sticks, but usually you wind up not only slowing the faster one down to the slower one's specs, but having to take it still slower than either, just to get 'em to 'coexist peacefully'...

I'll try today to find that batch of AMD goodies, and see if I can't work you up a full set of parameters to use as a baseline, but 9-9-9-27 or 25 may be it! In the meantime, a good time to think seriously whether, considering the difficulties and future limitations, you might want to 'bite the bullet', 'eat' the shipping charges, and trade 'em in for something else...
March 3, 2010 2:18:26 PM

thank you, well the 9,9,9, 25 works and now at 1.8V.

As for future upgrading and ram mismatches. Part of me thinks 4Gb is plenty for what I use my PC for and it's a big jump from my AMD 64 3000 1Gb DDR.

I don't upgrade often and not sure whether I'd want to spend more to upgrade memory but may want to in the future.

The RAMs working and seems like a slick machine to me but there's a niggling doubt that 8,8,8,24 will be difficult to reach and that the RAM differs from what I paid for and expected. However, I was at CL 11 yesterday and didn't believe I could get the RAM to run any faster and now at CL 9 with a bit of help from you guys.

The RAM is apparently well tested and has a lifetime warranty but no names were given to the components. I somehow knew I wouldn't get a popular brand name.
Zeppelin RAM looked pretty good even though it's a virtually unknown brand in the western hemisphere.

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 5:41:03 PM

Got one more question, on my way out door for errands - do these DIMMs have heat spreaders, i.e., are they 'wrapped' in flat, finished aluminum packages, or can you see the exposed chips plainly? (Has to do with how far to try to 'push 'em'...)
March 3, 2010 6:10:03 PM

bilbat said:
Got one more question, on my way out door for errands - do these DIMMs have heat spreaders, i.e., are they 'wrapped' in flat, finished aluminum packages, or can you see the exposed chips plainly? (Has to do with how far to try to 'push 'em'...)

Hi yes heatspreaders enclose the chips.

seller now says they don't believe that the memory will just not work at specs for me.

I wonder if RAMS more suited for intel boards.
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 9:47:26 PM

Well - they're kind of full of it, if you know what I mean - you've taken a look at the available memory multipliers, now, and seen for your self what kind of manipulation of clocks it'll take to hit that 'oddball' frequency - how do you value their :kaola:  'opinion'? Spreaders'll help, it gives us a little more latitude with voltages, should we need it, but I still think you're much better off to just run them at an 'even' frequency... Can't remember if it's been mentioned, and am in too much of a hurry to re-scan - what are you using for CPU cooling - we may wind up pushing the whole shebang a little higher in freqency...
!