Sign in with
Your question

Fresh Win7 x64 Install - Subpar C300 Performance

Last response: in Storage
June 29, 2011 6:56:07 PM

Howdy!

I finally decided to buy an SSD and the choice fell on the 128GB version of the C300. I'm using the SSD in a Packard Bell laptop running SATA II for now, but I plan to move it to my desktop as soon as my new case comes in. AHCI is enabled. There, it will run in SATA III on a Z68 chipset.

However, benchmarks don't quite seem to be where they should be. Especially writes seem to be scoring far too low.

I have benchmarked the drive with AS-SSD:

Could it simply be the result of installing a massive amount of Windows Updates that caused the drive to slow down? I have written 25GB of data in a few hours. Does that hurt performance significantly for a short period of time until TRIM kicks in? If not, any other ideas what might be wrong?

More about : fresh win7 x64 install subpar c300 performance

June 29, 2011 7:21:17 PM

the drive is probably performing poorly because of the SATA II connection. it doesnt seem to be that bad to me tho.
a c 143 G Storage
June 29, 2011 10:39:47 PM

I'm in agreement with r3xx3r on your benchmark. It doesn't look bad for the SSD on the laptop versus a PC. I won't worry too much about your current performance numbers :D 
Related resources
June 29, 2011 10:46:29 PM

Alright, cheers, that's good to know! I ran another benchmark and the 4k writes were about twice as high, so maybe something was a bit screwed up on that first run.

Looking forward to seeing how it will perform on an Intel SATA III port...
June 30, 2011 11:30:40 PM

Loaded up my new rig now and this is the result:

Seems to be where it should be I think? Sequential reads, sequential writes and 4K reads are definitely fine. Not sure what I should expect from the other benchmarks but I guess they look good too?

I think there was something flakey with the 4K-64Thrd benchmark in my first post.
!