One LNB is multiswitch needed?

If I only want to use the 101 satellite LNB on my dual LNB dish and send the
signal to one 2 tuner tivo and one additional receiver, do I need the
multiswitch or just a 1 to 3 splitter?

TIA!
13 answers Last reply
More about multiswitch needed

    "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If I only want to use the 101 satellite LNB on my dual LNB dish and send
    > the signal to one 2 tuner tivo and one additional receiver, do I need the
    > multiswitch or just a 1 to 3 splitter?

    You need a multiswitch. A 2-to-4 multiswitch will serve your needs with 1
    extra port.

    Thanks,

    I have one but just wondering why if you only use the one LNB?

    "Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If I only want to use the 101 satellite LNB on my dual LNB dish and send
    >> the signal to one 2 tuner tivo and one additional receiver, do I need the
    >> multiswitch or just a 1 to 3 splitter?
    >
    > You need a multiswitch. A 2-to-4 multiswitch will serve your needs with 1
    > extra port.

    "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >"Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote
    >> "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote
    >>> If I only want to use the 101 satellite LNB on my dual LNB dish and
    >>> send the signal to one 2 tuner tivo and one additional receiver, do
    >>> I need the multiswitch or just a 1 to 3 splitter?
    >>
    >> You need a multiswitch. A 2-to-4 multiswitch will serve your needs
    >> with 1 extra port.
    >
    >I have one but just wondering why if you only use the one LNB?

    You don't want to use one LNB. You want to use two LNBs (both of the
    LNBs of your dual LNB dish).

    Since any of the three tuners (the two TiVo tuners and the tuner in
    the other receiver) can request one of two signals from the LNB or
    multi-switch their attached to, you need something to handle the
    switching amongst three tuners to two signal sources (either left or
    right hand polarization).

    That something is either another dish, or a multi-switch. A simple
    splitter won't be able to handle two inputs and decide which tuner gets
    which output. Also, splitters tend to not handle the power that the
    receivers send to the LNB and cause other sorts of signal issues.

    --
    <script language="JavaScript">// Scott Seligman
    for(var i=0;i<73;i++)document.write(String.fromCharCode(("lsYrsiwb7pir~~|=~fr"+

    > Thanks,
    >
    > I have one but just wondering why if you only use the one LNB?

    1 LNB means 1 orbital location. It still (not counting stacking technology)
    must be a dual output to support more than 1 tuner. A multi-switch MUST be
    used (again, not counting stacking technology) if you want more than 2
    tuners (in your case, 3. 2 from a DirecTiVo and 1 from a non-DVR receiver).

    Problem is that in the application that I am using I have only one cable
    available from the dish to the multiswitch and can not add another.

    Stacker destacker too expensive for the application as well so I can only
    send signal from one lnb to the multiswitch.

    Was told by DirecTV that I wont miss much using only one satellite but that
    it will work fine.

    Is this incorrect?

    > Problem is that in the application that I am using I have only one cable
    > available from the dish to the multiswitch and can not add another.
    >
    > Stacker destacker too expensive for the application as well so I can only
    > send signal from one lnb to the multiswitch.
    >
    > Was told by DirecTV that I wont miss much using only one satellite but
    > that it will work fine.
    >
    > Is this incorrect?

    Having "one satellite" (like DirecTV is referring to) is not the same as
    having "1 line to the dish". 1 satellite means you only get the
    programming at the 101 orbital location. 1 line (without stacking) means
    you only get use of 1 tuner.

    You can't use a multi-switch with one cable from a satellite dish.
    Multi-switches require at least two cables from the dish.

    A satellite signal on a single cable cannot be split using a passive splitter.

    "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:iqmdndeyo5X1gx3fRVn-gw@comcast.com...
    > Problem is that in the application that I am using I have only one cable
    > available from the dish to the multiswitch and can not add another.
    >
    > Stacker destacker too expensive for the application as well so I can only
    > send signal from one lnb to the multiswitch.
    >
    > Was told by DirecTV that I wont miss much using only one satellite but that
    > it will work fine.
    >
    > Is this incorrect?
    >
    > "Scott Seligman" <seligman@example.com> wrote in message
    > > "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >>"Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote

    > >>I have one but just wondering why if you only use the one LNB?
    > >
    > > You don't want to use one LNB. You want to use two LNBs (both of the
    > > LNBs of your dual LNB dish).
    > >
    > > Since any of the three tuners (the two TiVo tuners and the tuner in
    > > the other receiver) can request one of two signals from the LNB or
    > > multi-switch their attached to, you need something to handle the
    > > switching amongst three tuners to two signal sources (either left or
    > > right hand polarization).
    > >
    > > That something is either another dish, or a multi-switch. A simple
    > > splitter won't be able to handle two inputs and decide which tuner gets
    > > which output. Also, splitters tend to not handle the power that the
    > > receivers send to the LNB and cause other sorts of signal issues.
    > >
    > > --
    > > <script language="JavaScript">// Scott
    > > Seligman
    > > for(var
    > > i=0;i<73;i++)document.write(String.fromCharCode(("lsYrsiwb7pir~~|=~fr"+
    > > "~}Rvvrxv~Q}gx~}lz~wmwiqz|sq~tuBpNpzyvp@Lu[").charCodeAt(i)-("P2Y*!$1E5#()2*-"+
    > > "#+##*)E!#-*1*1*$)*)+,:*$4!,.0.c0/!@R)cM8-$$=4=").charCodeAt(i)+32));</script>

    > You can't use a multi-switch with one cable from a satellite dish.
    > Multi-switches require at least two cables from the dish.

    Quite right. While it's possible to use just one wire from one LNB with
    only one tuner it's not possible to do it with more than one. They'd each
    want to send the signal back to the dish for polarization and would
    undoubtedly clash with each other. A multiswitch would sort of prevent the
    clash in that one signal would work and the other would just get dropped
    leading to one of the boxes getting a signal and the other getting
    nothing... at random.

    When you say you can't run extra wire, why? Without it and without using a
    stacker, you cannot do what you're suggesting.

    Marathon wrote:
    > If I only want to use the 101 satellite LNB on my dual LNB dish

    You appear to be confused. "LNB" and "receiver head" are not the same.

    Round dish, single head, two coax outputs = single satellite, dual LNB.
    Multi-satellite dishes are elliptical and have two or three heads.

    > and send the signal to one 2 tuner tivo and one additional receiver,

    For that you have to use a multiswitch, and _must_ run two cables
    from the dish to the multiswitch.
    -Joe

    Cannot run additional cable due to application location on a boat.

    So I am out of luck?
    One wire only one receiver?

    That's no fun.

    The kids want one channel, wife something else.

    "Joe Smith" <joe@inwap.com> wrote in message
    > Marathon wrote:
    >> If I only want to use the 101 satellite LNB on my dual LNB dish
    >
    > You appear to be confused. "LNB" and "receiver head" are not the same.
    >
    > Round dish, single head, two coax outputs = single satellite, dual LNB.
    > Multi-satellite dishes are elliptical and have two or three heads.
    >
    >> and send the signal to one 2 tuner tivo and one additional receiver,
    >
    > For that you have to use a multiswitch, and _must_ run two cables
    > from the dish to the multiswitch.
    > -Joe

    "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Cannot run additional cable due to application location on a boat.

    A dish on a boat? Is that even possible?

    >So I am out of luck?
    >One wire only one receiver?

    Yes, one wire == one receiver.

    Only way around that is to install a stacker/destacker setup.

    Is there some reason you can't use the existing cable to pull down a
    dual RG6 cable and make everyone happy?

    --
    <script language="JavaScript">// Scott Seligman
    for(var i=0;i<73;i++)document.write(String.fromCharCode(("lsYrsiwb7pir~~|=~fr"+
    "~}Rvvrxv~Q}gx~}lz~wmwiqz|sq~tuBpNpzyvp@Lu[").charCodeAt(i)-("P2Y*!$1E5#()2*-"+
    "#+##*)E!#-*1*1*$)*)+,:*$4!,.0.c0/!@R)cM8-$$=4=").charCodeAt(i)+32));</script>

    Boat tied at dock with dish mounted on piling.

    Some people even have them on their boats and the tide does not effect, just
    swinging so you tie the boat down tight.

    Have to figure out a way to put it on boat and make it work.
    Stabilized antennas (Gyro) over $3K.

    Marathon wrote:
    > Boat tied at dock with dish mounted on piling.

    You could do what the cable companies do.
    Put a new cable right up next to an existing cable, then run
    a diagonal wrap to lash the two together. This makes use
    of the existing cable supports.
    -Joe

Tivo Tuner Video Home Theatre