How do I file a class action lawsuit against HP for a laptop that dioed three we

cahomsyjr

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I have a Pavillion DV7-1000 and three weeks after the warranty expired it died. Nothing is showing up on the screen except for one row of pixels. I have tried, in vain, the repair it myself. I even went so far as to completely wipe the hard drive with the intention of reinstalling Windows. Still nothing has helped. I've spent $1200 in this piece of crap and feel like beating it over the head of the CEO with it. the only way HP will help me is if I send them $400 to fix it. For that much money I can buy a new laptop. It's obviously a hardware problem, crap in crap out. At this point I am done dealing with HP and I'm about ready to hire a lawyer and see if that'll get me anywhere in court.

LOL!!

Good luck with that! Do you think the warranty period is flexible or something? Were you not aware of the warranty length when you bought the laptop? Why should HP fix something that is out of warranty. It doesn't matter if it's three weeks or three years. Out of warranty is out warranty, period.

cahomsyjr

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

Obviously you didn't bother to read the whole thing. Otherwise you would have read that they 'lost' the two previous requests I had made while it was STILL under warranty.

Where exactly do you say that they lost the two previous requests? Oh yea, that's in a completely different post in a different section of the forum. Obviously I should have looked at every post you've ever posted to get the whole story instead of you just posting it in this thread. :pfff:

Here's a link to the thread that we're magically supposed to know exists, not that it matters:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50782-35-laptop-faqs

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

You never mentioned that in your original post. But if that is true, then you should have some proof that you did file the claim before the warranty ended, and you can present your case to HP. If that doesn't work and you're confident your evidence is sound, then by all means grab a lawyer and see what happens.

Come on now, whining and tossing around blind threats won't gather much sympathy from anyone.

If you made previous requests, you should have copies of your letters, or emails, and dates. If you spoke with someone on the phone about a problem while the machine was under warranty, you should something like a "case" number, time, dates, and names of the people you spoke with. If you did not do this, it's a bad deal, but you are about to learn a valuable lesson the hard way.

Grow up, act like an adult, get your ducks in a row, call HP and address the issue with them rationally and intelligently, if indeed the problem began before the warranty ran out.

PS. No where in your post does it mention any issues you may have had before the warranty expired.

jrr_60

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
there could be more to this than some of you are aware. that problem is a known issue by HP with a known fix. they failed to let the owners know there was an issue and relatively easy fix (bios flash) so by the time many found out about the fix, it was too late to do it because the computer was already dead. any responsible company would send registered owners notice of the problem and fix.

jrr_60

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
additionally, hp did do an extended warranty period for this problem but again, didn't let owners know so they could take advantage of it or do the fix before it became a serious problem. now, if your laptop has died of this problem, since the warranty extension has expired, you're just out of luck without option to do the fix or be covered under the warranty extension.

cahomsyjr

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

The one thing that irks the hell out of me is that when they replaced the first laptop I lost two months of warranty. I only got ten months instead of twelve. It would have been during the ninth and eleventh month of the warranty they were told of the problem. Two laptops that lasted less than a year a piece. I've had two other techs check it out and they both told me the same thing. There are circuits blown in the video card on the motherboard. That were caused by heat buildup inside the case. I have a friend with a TX-1000 tablet who has the same problem I do. HP won't do anything for him either, and he bought an extended warranty from Office Depot. Boy did he get screwed royally on that one. It ran the same time the manufacturers warranty did.