Sign in with
Your question

5870 - Which brand would you shoot for?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2009 10:09:17 PM

I see Newegg sold out on some of their pre-sales. I'm doing a new build, but was waiting for these to come out. Is there any model to aim for snagging, or any to really avoid? I haven't kept up with brands in a long time, so I'm out of the loop. Asus, XFX, HIS, Sapphire? Any tips?

More about : 5870 brand shoot

September 23, 2009 10:11:53 PM

Personally I wouldnt shoot any brand. But, I'd buy XFX over any other brand because I like their customer service.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 10:18:43 PM

I generally buy Sapphires, mostly because they are usually cheapest and I've had no major problems with them. I did once have two Sapphire x1950 pro's go faulty in the same week (with the same problem), but they were replaced with no hassle at all.

I'd like to try out an Asus voltage tweak, but I wouldn't pay over the odds for it, plus Asus have a bad reputation on cooling.

Never had a HiS, had a powercolor x1950 pro and that was great, although it had artic cooling on it. I haven't had any XFX ati's but I had a couple of Nvidia's and never any issues.

I don't think you can really go wrong tbh, it's 99% bad luck when things go wrong.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 10:21:29 PM

I got a Sapphire 5870 to replace my Sapphire 4890: decent build quality but still one of the cheapest.

Don't care much about customer service, a lot of people don't know this but the law (in the European Union anyway) actually says you can RMA back to the vendor, and they have to handle it from there, of course the vendor will tell you to RMA to the manufacturer but that's just because most people don't know the law and it saves the vendor a lot of trouble.

But yeah, it's like jennyh says, it's 99% bad luck when things go wrong.

Never had any problems with my MSI 8800GTS 512mb either.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 10:30:07 PM

Yep in europe (uk at least) we always RMA back to the vendor. I have never, ever had an issue with a replacement, and I've had 4 cards go faulty on me (all of them issues with the fan lol).
m
l
September 23, 2009 10:33:55 PM

I usually go for XFX or BFG due to warranty. Asus because Asus generally does well. Though i've heard good things about most of the others.. HIS, Saphire (of course)

I think the only real "major" brand i've heard is iffy is Powercolor and PNY.. though, i wouldn't really know.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 10:34:58 PM

I have a HIS 4870 now and I love it. I was kinda skeptical because people usually don't buy them, but it's great. I have a vendetta against powercolor but there's no reason why. I just don't like them...maybe it's the colors. Sapphire and XFX I know are top notch. They are going to perform pretty much the same no matter what, so it's kind of up to you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 10:36:10 PM

I usually go for what has the best price. But assuming the price is the same, then I'd get XFX. They come with a double lifetime warranty. Good for you if you need it replaced and it could give it a little higher resale value later. Newegg currently has the XFX 5870 in stock. Grab it while you can.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 10:40:42 PM

FallenSniper said:
I have a HIS 4870 now and I love it. I was kinda skeptical because people usually don't buy them, but it's great. I have a vendetta against powercolor but there's no reason why. I just don't like them...maybe it's the colors. Sapphire and XFX I know are top notch. They are going to perform pretty much the same no matter what, so it's kind of up to you.

Yeah, haven't seen any under- or overclocked versions yet, no special coolers either, so performance wise it doesn't matter one bit which brand you choose.
m
l
September 23, 2009 10:41:01 PM

Just got a xfx 5870. Glad i missed out on the other brands so that i could get a xfx.
m
l
September 23, 2009 10:46:15 PM

same, I am excited about XFX with lifetime warranty.
m
l
September 23, 2009 10:48:08 PM

XFX is the best company when it comes to support, shoot for them.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 11:26:46 PM

I've had very good luck with XFX cards. I've used a variety of other brands over the years and never had a problem. Since this is the initial introduction of the 5000 series cards, all of the brands are probably using the ATI reference specifications so it probably will not make any difference in terms of performance.
m
l
September 23, 2009 11:29:16 PM

lucasbuck2 said:
I see Newegg sold out on some of their pre-sales. I'm doing a new build, but was waiting for these to come out. Is there any model to aim for snagging, or any to really avoid? I haven't kept up with brands in a long time, so I'm out of the loop. Asus, XFX, HIS, Sapphire? Any tips?

It depends on where you live or in what region of the globe you live. XFX, EVGA and BFG offers lifetime warranty only for North America customers but if you are in Europe or Asia you will not get a lifetime warranty from XFX/EVGA/BFG. However, I don't even think that EVGA, Visiontek, Diamond Multimedia, and BFG brands exist in Asia or Europe since those manufacturers are only for North America customers and they would only be available in North America. XFX still exist in Europe but without lifetime warranty offer.

Sapphire is a very popular brand in Asia and also in Europe and it offers 3 years warranty but in North America, I think that it only offers 2 years warranty together with HIS. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, HIS and Palit also offer 3 years warranty in Asia. :bounce: 

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 1:45:11 AM

Yeah, at this stage it is pretty much just warranty and who has the best sticker. Based on that, XFX is looking pretty good. My first XFX was my 4850 1GB which I thought they did an awesome job on for the cooling. They may be new to the ATI game, but they seem to know what they are doing.
m
l
September 24, 2009 1:58:26 AM

My first XFX was a 6600 GT, then a 6800 Ultra (which died and XFX GAVE me my next card) a 7600 GT XXX edition. After that I got a 7900 GT, then an 8800 GT, and then ending with a couple of EVGA 8800 GTX 512s that I had for less than a month before switching to HIS and ATI with the 4870 X2, if XFX only made ATI cards back then... That was the end of my XFX days, hopefully they can begin again.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 2:04:24 AM

Ah, the 6800s, what classics (to me atl least). I still have my two eVGA 6800GTs with aftermarket cooling. I think one is still being used and the other is stuck in the closet. Good cards, it was the only time I ever SLI'ed/Crossfired, and it worked really well on them too.
m
l
September 24, 2009 2:07:58 AM

I never bought Ati in my life i was always nvidia user but now i m switching to Ati this question becomes relavant. As in my country XFX doesnt offer lifetime warranty :(  :(  :(  :(  i probably will choose the saphhire vapor-X or toxic version when i buy 5770 or other Ati cards because i like the cooling solution of saphhire- Really good one
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 3:54:16 AM

I tend to go with the company with a lifetime warranty. In the past, it was only visiontek, but xfx joined the red team and brought their warranty service with them.

Most likely my next ATi card will be from xfx
m
l
!