markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
hi can any body help me with this i am a complete novice at water cooling will a 240mm rad cool 2x gtx 570s stock if not can i fit any bigger in the front of this case thanks is a 360 possible

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I don't know what 'this case' is to see if it fits.

A 240 is NOT enough to cool to 570's. A single 570 at load produces around 243watts of heat. Your average slim 360 rad can dissipate around 525watts with 1800rpm fans; a 240, obviously is 66% of that size meaning = 346watts.

If you are adding your CPU in the loop, consider adding another 140mm or a 2x120 (240) rad.

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

thanks for helping me out here mate i realy have no clue would it be possible to use two double stack two 240mm rads and use this too cool the 570s the cpus fine for now on air

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I guess I am not following...are you saying a stacked radiator 'sandwich'? No, you don't want to do that...very poor performance degradation on the 2nd in the airflow chain (as much as 40% lower performance).

I'm saying you could use a 2x120 (or 2x140) rad with a 200mm rad and be fine.

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
sorry i think iv confused the whole thing this is the case http://www.ebuyer.com/270600-fractal-design-define-mini-case-fd-ca-def-mini-bl

i was looking to take out the front hd cage and mount a 240mm there as im guessing that is all that will fit. A 200mm would be too large wouldn't it and you say that a single 240mm rad would not cool 2gtx 570s so my only option would be to sandwich them or stack them unless you have a better idea.

thanks again for the quick reply!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, a single 240 isn't going to cut it. I also don't think you are going to get them in there, sandwiched, either.

There appears to have been a trend lately where folks have bought cases and want to shoehorn a complete water loop inside, only and there's barely enough room inside to let light in with the case open.

You're going to have to get creative on this one...mounting on the back or sides is your only other option, or build a pedestal for the rads and pump, etc.

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
hmmmm sounds like a disaster waiting to happen for a noob like me lol!
do you think i would be able to cool a 6990/590 with a 240 please say yes lol!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
As in a single GPU? Yes, a single one. No CPU, though...you're talking a single-GPU-only loop? Why not just get good aftermarket air coolers for the GPUs and CPU and make sure you have good case airflow? You could do that for less cost and get pretty decent temps. I just don't see how you are going to squeeze what you want into that case without some serious modding...inside and out.

Making a pedestal is pretty easy...simply a box you put stuff in, and sit the case on...or even could be a remote box with tubing between. This would keep the radiator fans further away (guessing this is a HTPC build?)

Not a 6990/590 - that's the same as trying to cool 2 GPUs (since there are 2 GPUs on the PCB) on one 240 rad.

You need more rad space.