Solved

SDD lose Size after time?

I was looking at SDD drives on newegg when i saw a comment about how SDD drives Lose Size after a time.
Is this true?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about lose size time
  1. Best answer
    It is true & false... :D

SSD are just like a standard mechanical drive in the fact that once you install the OS & apps, you capacity may vary based on how it is setup with temp files, system restore for examples. In addition, OCZ had a much publized issue when they went to 25nm and lost capacity compared to the 34nm drives. It has / didn't effect all SSD's just a few capacities with OCZ Vertex 2 drives.

Where it is true is... If someone ever reach the point where they utilize all the write-cycles on the drive, it will basically become read-only and can no longer be written to. This would be basically lossing all it's capacity to a certain point... IMO

Basically, I would not worry about what you read on Newegg about lost capacity and move forward with your plan to purchase (hopefully) your new SSD.
  2. Wear-leveling technologies can also ensure you utilize all cells evenly so that the drive does not write too much to one part of the drive and overutlize those particular cells.
  3. Best answer selected by AGPC.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage