Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SDD lose Size after time?

Last response: in Storage
June 29, 2011 8:19:43 PM

I was looking at SDD drives on newegg when i saw a comment about how SDD drives Lose Size after a time.
Is this true?

More about : sdd lose size time

Best solution

a c 143 G Storage
June 29, 2011 10:09:46 PM

It is true & false... :D 

SSD are just like a standard mechanical drive in the fact that once you install the OS & apps, you capacity may vary based on how it is setup with temp files, system restore for examples. In addition, OCZ had a much publized issue when they went to 25nm and lost capacity compared to the 34nm drives. It has / didn't effect all SSD's just a few capacities with OCZ Vertex 2 drives.

Where it is true is... If someone ever reach the point where they utilize all the write-cycles on the drive, it will basically become read-only and can no longer be written to. This would be basically lossing all it's capacity to a certain point... IMO

Basically, I would not worry about what you read on Newegg about lost capacity and move forward with your plan to purchase (hopefully) your new SSD.
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 30, 2011 5:53:43 AM

Wear-leveling technologies can also ensure you utilize all cells evenly so that the drive does not write too much to one part of the drive and overutlize those particular cells.
m
l
June 30, 2011 8:52:51 AM

Best answer selected by AGPC.
m
l
!