dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hello,
I have my niece's Pavilion dv6700 laptop that crashed with no hard drive detected in BIOS. I bought a used HD (SATA, same specs) and got Vista recovery disks from HP matching the laptop. The reinstall begins with "Windows Loading Files...", then starts Recovery Manager, which freezes every time at 23%, eventually reverting to blank blue screen. There are no error messages or further activity. I spent a day on this, then called HP. Because the new hard drive self-test passed, they said it must be the hard drive connector, requiring motherboard repair (out-of-warranty, $250, haha). Is there any way I can fix this myself? I can't afford a new laptop right now (my own Pavilion ze2000 is also in its death throes, with a damaged mobo and good hard drive that won't turn on).
I've searched all over the web but haven't found anything on this particular issue.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
You will probably have to re-install Vista from from the original disc. A recovery disc will have nothing on your drive to recover.If your drive is starting to load windows then the connectors or motherboard can not be bad.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
You will probably have to re-install Vista from from the original disc. A recovery disc will have nothing on your drive to recover.If your drive is starting to load windows then the connectors or motherboard can not be bad.

Solution

dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

What's the best way to get an original VISTA disk when you have the product key? From Microsoft?

dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks to all for your replies!
The hard drive is good.

It makes sense that the HP Recover disks wouldn't work on a clean HD...nothing to recover, right?

Microsoft told me I could only get the Vista Install disk from the PC manufacturer, and when I told him I was only able to get the recovery CD from HP, he kept repeating this script over and over. When I asked if they sold Vista, he said I can buy a retail Vista from them for $30 :heink:

So I'm looking at one now on eBay, not sure if this is the best way to go though. Its 32-bit with no Product Key for 10.00...I have the product key already so I don't need one.

Lots of posts say "borrow a Vista install disk and use your own product key" - BUT I don't know anyone who has one and haven't been able to find torrents for it, or anything free.
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

~D

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Your computer key won't substitute for a Windows OEM product key.
If your buying a license. Then I'd recommend you get it from a dependable retailer, eBay is a risk, use it as a last solution.

dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Still unsolved-Update:
Hi and thanks all for your input on this ongoing problem.
I downloaded Vista Home Premium torrent/ISO (I have a key), burned to DVD using 2 different programs so I had 2 discs to try, with the same result: Install begins on empty Sata HD but hangs after "copying files..." every time. I wait it out, but then I get interesting variations on blue screen, usually diagonal blue & white stripes.

What am I doing wrong? I have spent so much time on this and I really need to get this laptop going. Any new ideas?
Thanks in advance.
~D

dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
P.S.....this laptop has random, recurring beep - one constant, uninterrupted beep. It doesn't happen during the install process, but often right at boot. This has happened since the laptop was almost new. Don't know if it is relevant since it isn't a beep code.

Thanks again