Screws on Motherboard

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Question may be stupid??I have no built a sytem in almost 5 years.I started to put my new one together.I hasve nine screw for Motherboard.

I do not remember if youput felt washers on the bottom of board or top then screw???
Or no washers??
Thanks
Doug

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
My manual does not mention the washers!!!!!!!!

I have nine screws and they gave me 7 washers.

Thanks for the advise.

Do you think the 2 without washers will be a problem.I looked and there is no lead or circuits around the holes at all.

Doug

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Thank You Vey Much for the information.I originally used no washers.The last system I built in 2003,was no washers on metal around hole,at least Asus was.

I got your reply and put all the washers on.
Just got finished taking them off,very easily done.

I know this may not be the right Forum.I have a question about hard drives.I have a Western Digital Black.There is an ATA connection,then the power plug.On the right is an 8 pin connection.The last time I did a drive they were all IDE.
Is that for connecting another drive???Is there a connector on the PSU for it??

thanks Again,I rally appreciate the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug

For the HD, is this a brand new SATA WD Black? If so, the two flat looking connectors are the SATA Data and SATA Power (for which there will be a plug on new PSes). The last block is for jumpers, which you should not need unlesss you are using it not at max speed (or for some other reason I don't know of). Hope that helps, and ask any other questions you have.

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I knew the sata for data and one for power.I thought the new Sata 11 drives did not use jumpers,I do not know why.I appreciate the answers more than you know!!!!!!!!!I jusat want to make sure.I read up a lot but forgot a lot by the time I am building now.I have everthing in,almost it is getting late,have to get up at 4:30 it is 12:30.
I want to bot it up so bad!!!
Maybe tommorrow will bring me better luck.

Peace Out, Have a good eve.

Doug

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I have 2 more connections from the case. One is HDMI the other AC 97.They are 9 pin plugs actually 10 rows of 5,but one whole is closed.
pot on board.Maybe they are for sound cards.
They mightbThe Motherboard manual says not5hing.I see no spot for them???
They most be for the audio plugs on top of case????

tecmo34

Administrator

From what you are describing, these sound like your audio plugs from the top of the case. You will only need to plug one or the other in (both are tied into the same base cord correct?) On the last two MOBO's I have built with, this plug was located around the 1st/2nd PCIe 2.0 x16 slots on the I/O Rear Panel side of the board. I would look in that area if you don't see any info on it in your manual.

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
They are my audio plugs.They are from the same base cord,they spit about 5 inches . In the manual it mentioned they were used for intel???I think they are for mynaudio jacks on thye case.I see an empyn spdif,no HDMI or AC/97,like it says on the plugsw.

I just went to boot6 machine,fans work here the drive for aq couple of seconds.No boot up at all????

Thanks for the help

Doug

What are the exact specs of the computer you are building. Those are the audio cables and you can choose between HD Audio and AC97. Unless your board doesn't have onboard sound, none of the recent boards I have used didn't have the plug. With the specs though, we can double check for you.

You say you turned it on, but nothing happened? Did it make any beeps (is the speaker hooked up) and did nothing show up on the monitor?

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Unfortunately the Antec 900 case came with ni speaker,which really sucks. I can not get a codef from the beeps.
No when it boots I have absolutely nothing.I tried VGA,DMI,and HDMI cables. I made sure all screws were put in right.checked,rechecked and rechecked all connections.I did not move the memory to the other channel,or tried one by one.Iwill try it now.
MoBo Specs: AMD SOCKET AM3

Even if Motherboard did not have onboard sound it should still boot???I have a new drive,not formatted,if it matters.
Specs: Asus -M4A785TD-V EVO Socket AM3 ATX MoBo
AMD Socket AM3.
Chipset 785G/SB710
System Bus up to 5200 MT/s Hyper Transport 3.0
Memory 4 x Dimm16 GB,DDR3 1800(0.C)/1600(OC)/1600(OC)1333/1088 non EEC
Dual Channel memory
Expansion slots, 2xPCIe 2.0 x 16
2xPCIe x1
3xPCI
VGA,integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 GPU
onboard 128 MB DDR 1333 memory?sideport.
Supports. HDMI REs up to 1920 x 1200(1080P)
Dual link DVI max,res.2560 x1600
D-Sub max,res.2048 x 1536

Hybrid CrossfireX Support
Dual independent displays,support HDMI/DVI and D-Sub

Storage: SB710 chipset
1 x Ultra DMA 133/100/66.
5 SATA Gb/s Ports Support Raid 0,1,10, BOD
1 x eSATA 3 Gb/s port
Lan:RTL81122L Gigabit LAN controller A1 NET2
AUDIO: VT17088 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
supports Jack-Detection,Multi Streaming and Front Retasking
Optical S/PDIF Out Ports at I/O
IEEEE 1394 Vt8308P supports 2 x 1394a ports,one at mid board one at back
USB 12 USB 2.0 ports (6 ports at mid-board,6 ports at back
Back I/O Ports
1 x PS/2
1 x DVI
1 x D-Sub
1 x HDMI
1 x External SATA
1 x S/PDF Out (optical)
1x External IEEE 1394a
1x LAN RJ$% Port
6 x USB 2.2/1.1
8channel Audio I/O
Internal Connections:
3 x USB Connections(6Ports)
1x COMN connector
1 x IDE Connector
5 x SATA Connectors
1x CPU Fan controller
1 x Power fan controler
Front panel audio connector
1 x Power Fan Con.
1 x IEEE 1394a Con.
1 x S/PDIF Out nHeader
1 x LPT Con.
V Power cable
System Panel
There are the specs.
I have the 20 pin and the 4 pin power connectors next to each other.I see there ia a 4 port power connector too.I believe I should or could use this method.I do not see a 4 pin powerm connector.

I really appreciate the help guys.As I said I built a system in 2002 .I built 6.All was different .I was reading up.I have time I becane disabled and do not get out or around too much.I saved this moneymfor almost 2 years to build this system.
I have no other PC to test memoryon either.
System:
Antec 900 Case
Rosewell DVI,HDMI,VG ATX12VA adapter cables
Asus Motherboard
Rosewell 600W !! SLI Ready 01Power Supply
AMD Phenom11 x 3 720 2.8Ghz. Black edition(hoping to get lucky and get 4th core?? DDR3
Western Digital HD Cavair Black 640GB

G Skill $GB(2x2GB) 240 pin Socket
LG W2353V-Black 23in.Monitor
Lit-)N Black Blue-ray Reader SATA Model-OEM
Samsung 22X DVD Black Sata Model,also CD Burner
Sunbeam Cooler(Huge nwas the easiest thing getting on.I have aq 1/4 clearance from Fan and 1st Dimm.I will have to remive heatsink to switch memory in other channels(Sucks)

I appreciate any assistance.I can not get around very well ,I depend on the internet for a lot of things

Doug

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I have a 20 +4 cable connected.I do not have an 8 pin connected.
I see one cable it splits into 2 four pin connectors.It says on it 4+ and 4-.

then an arrow showing that they should be put next to each other ,it looks like.
I have an empty 4 pin 12v power connector on my motherboard.Should there be an 8??
I really appreciate this assistance
God Bless U

Doug

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
No there is no white piece covering a connector.
As I said it is one cable split at the end into 2-4 pin connectors.One has 4+ on it,the other 4P.
I do not think it matters which one I plug in.

I forgot to mention one thing.When I turn it on the fans go on and the DVD and CD plsayer draws go in and out.I hear them turn at start up.
I mentioned I have non formatted drives in here too.

Hope this works

Thanks

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
WOW WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!It booted.I read the manual over and over checked with Asus on line.I was told and it says in the manuall if you use the 20 and the 4 pin connectors next to each other,then it says nothing about using the 4 pin.
It is always a stupid little mistake.I have been at this since 11:30 yesterday morning.

Should I load default and run the cd from asus or go inro set up??

Thank You Ever So Much.I can not go somewhere to test memory and other dcfomponents.I am mostly home bound.
I am not that religous but I will say a prayer for you!!!
Man thos roswell PSU has

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks.I will install Vista then install drivers updates and bios after installation.

There are 3 pin connectors on MO BO for fans.The Sunbeam came with a 3 pin socket that fits No Bo.They also gave me a fan controller that goes in an expansion slot and had a knob for speed set.
There is a CPU connector o on board.The one obn the board will adjust speed I would imagine.All the other fans have speed controllers.

Thanks Again

Doug

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks.I take it you can not download the drivers for my hard drive and put them on a USB drive??It does not recognize the thumd drive.
Do I have to put it on a cd??

Promise Last question

Doug

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tecmo34

Administrator

What drivers do you need from your hard drive?

You might not have the USB from the case plugged in correctly. Try the USB ports on the back of the case... Could be your thumb drive.

Gliss

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
When I start to install windowsI get to where I want it to be installed.I select my Hard Drive.Then it says to select driver to be installed.I got it to recognize my thumb drive.It says drivers can not be found???
I downloaded a file fron WD for all drives.???
Thanks
Doug