DDR3 1600 for P7P55D Deluxe?

ccannon222

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I am finishing up my build plans and I am left with which RAM to purchase. I am looking for 2x 2GB DDR3 1600 CAS 8. Any suggestions? I haven’t purchased RAM in over 3 years so I’m a bit unsure which would be the best for my setup and work with my MB.

I also would like the option to add another 4GB kit later this year when I switch over to Windows 7 64 bit.

I7 860
Asus P7P55D Deluxe
ATI 5850

Thanks

Chris

ccannon222

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Getting all 8GB now will make life easier since I won’t have to match it later. However, I am trying to save some money as I will not be able to use half of the 8 GB for almost a year (Windows XP 32 bit). I am planning on getting a new HD or SDD, Windows 7 64 bit, MS Office and a few other goodies next winter. That way I can split my cost. Windows XP, my slow HD and old version of MS Office will do for now. I’ll have to think some more about 4 GB or 8 GB of RAM now.

If I decide to play around with overclocking the CPU, will this cause any problems with this RAM? I also noticed that this RAM is not on the QVL. Does that really matter? I’ve been looking at kits like Consair (CMD4GX3M2A1600C8) and OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV4GK) but neither of them are on the list either. I did not see many/any good 1600 CAS 8 on the QVL.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Well in theory, Dual Channel was designed to aleviate the bottleneck that happens when the FSB of the CPU is greather than the SDRAM, so you should be ok. But why not OC both RAM and CPU in that case?

As far as compatability issues go, it's a game of chance. I personally buy OCZ RAM because I know the quality that is produced. However, G.Skill is popular among the population of Tom's Hardware.

I haven't even checked my motherboard's list of compatible RAM, so I can't be sure that my Corsair XMS or my OCZ Fatality sticks are "approved."

rayandjoanne

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Hi,

I have just built my own system as well and I used the corsair CMD8GX3M2A1600C8 Dominator (8GB) ram on my P7P55D Deluxe and then set the memory to 1600mhz and 1.65volts in my bios and everything is running fine.

The memory also comes with a nice air cooler as well but I had to sit the cooler at a slight angle due to the sides of the memory cooler being very close to the graphics card.

Ray

ccannon222

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I think I am going to purchase the same Consair kit that rayandjoanne used. It meets all of my specs, it works with my MB, and I will not have to worry about matching RAM later when I go from 4 to 8 GB.

Which Graphics card did you use? I am planning on an ATI 5850

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Ram Selection:

1. Go to newegg.com

2. Use the drop downs to stroll thru Computer Hardware / Memory / Desktop Memory / 240 Pin / DDR3-1600 / 2 x 2 GB.

3. From the CAS category, select CAS 6 .... sort on lowest price....review the list for the lowest price set from a manufacturer you are comfortable with .... if it fits in your budget, you're done.....if not .... hit back button on browser so YA can look at the next highest cas #.

4. From the CAS category, select CAS 7 .....rinse and repeat as above till ya hit ya budget.

BIOS Settings:

Set timings manually in BIOS....using XMP profile, assuming you have XPM capable memory, is sometimes "iffy".

RAM Voltage:

Starting out w/ 1.64xxx volts on the RAM is fine but, like the CPU, you should stability test your system to use the lowest voltage setting that is Prime95 stable.

rayandjoanne

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Hi,

I have the HD5770 which has been slightly overclocked by XFX but I haven`t used it for games yet as I use my pc for video editing most of the time.