Your question
Solved

Another Q6600 OC problem - just upgraded from e6600

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 11:34:09 PM

So, i had just been given a q6600 SLACR G0 stepping CPU. My motherboard is an Asus P5N-E SLI (nforce 650i chipset). I was running my old core 2 duo e6600 at 3.24ghz no problems. I have always noticed the vcore drops slightly under load, there is an option in my BIOS to set vcore offset voltage +100mv which i use to counter this. It was running 3.24ghz at 1.32v no problems.

So i install this Q6600 and set all bios settings to defaults and get it to boot, after a while it bluescreens. Temps are ok, managed to get a short P95 run not getting past 53C. However, when i load it up in P95 the vcore dropped from 1.25 (auto settings in BIOS) to 1.12, which is when it bluescreened. So i set the +100mv vcore offsett to counter this and no bluescreening. Im trying to run it at 2700mhz and upped the vcore to get it stable, now vcore measures 1.35 in HWmonitor but under load drops to 1.26v under p95 load. Anyone know if this is this typical of this motherboard? Any one running Oc'd q6600's care to tell me what you think? what voltages are you running? Do you think my board is faulty, or is this chipset known for severe vdroop? any input would be appreciated.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 12:00:50 AM

iam2thecrowe said:

So i install this Q6600 and set all bios settings to defaults and get it to boot, after a while it bluescreens.

If the system bluescreens with default BIOS settings, you need to stop right there and figure out why. You cannot successfully overclock an unstable system.
m
l
Related resources
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 2:48:19 AM

jsc said:
If the system bluescreens with default BIOS settings, you need to stop right there and figure out why. You cannot successfully overclock an unstable system.

im running most recent bios. The CPU is on the supported list http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_... . The motherboard worked perfectly fine with an e6600 at stock and OC'd to 3.24. Hard reset the bios before changing the cpu by taking the battery out and shorting the terminals. I guess it could be an issue with the CPU itself, but with the voltage dropping under load with a higher power consumption CPU in the board, suggests something wrong with the board, but if i replace the board i may aswell do a full upgrade which i dont have the money for just yet. it works with the vcor offsett +100mv. No caps on the board appear to be leaking/bulging, but that doesnt mean there isnt a problem with them. The blue screens are different, one was IRQ greater or less than error, and the other was some sort of stop code, cant remember the exact code.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 2:51:13 AM

another strange occurrence, when enabling the c1e state and all the power saving options, somehow in BIOS it displays "Hyperthreading enabled", lol. that is when i knew something was wrong and hard reset the bios.
m
l

Best solution

a c 132 à CPUs
a c 123 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 3:05:48 AM

EDIT...BENT LGA PIN...THE REAL PROBLEM SOLVER!!!

Quote:
well i fixed the problem. Was about to give up, removed the q6600 and was about to put the e6600 back in, when i noticed one of the pins in the socket was at a different angle than the others, it was hard to spot, dont know how it happened. but it was pushed down a little and probably not making proper contact, so i bent it up a bit. Now it has been running fine with the q6600 for about an hour running p95. I have it at stock clocks for now but im sure OC'ing shouldnt be too much of a problem now that its working as it should be. Thanks again for all your help everyone.

-------old post--------

I was under the impression that that board as well as many older LGA775 Nvidia SLI boards has issues pushing the quad core chips.

I remember seeing it listed on ncix for some boards as being unsuitable for overclocking quad core cpus, but at stock you should have been stable. That said, yeah 2.7-3.0 seemed to be average for that board.

As with all overclocking, your mileage may very.

as for listing of HT, not sure about that one..
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 8:59:13 AM

well, still getting random bluescreens - irq not less or equal to. I have read many people having the same issues with vdroop, but there are some people out there able to push these cpu's past 3ghz with this board. I think more voltage is the answer, ill keep bumping up the volts till i get no more bluescreens, or until i reach an unsafe amount of volts. Then i'll give up and put my dual core back in and wait till i can afford a 2500k setup.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 7:23:23 PM

i have come to theconclusion that this motherboard is poop for quad core cpu's, or there may be something wrong with my board (maybe theres some bad caps in therre somewhere, it is an old board). Playing skyrim it hard resets, even when overvolted. Vcore Voltage is dropping from 1.38 to 1.26v under load, i just dont think this board can supply enough stable power. Im putting back my old core 2 duo e6600 and will live with that for a while. Thanks for all your input.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 7:24:42 PM

Best answer selected by iam2thecrowe.
m
l
a c 132 à CPUs
a c 123 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 7:47:12 PM

I think it may be more of a chipset issue(Nvidia had some known issues with quad cores when they first came out, it may just be bad luck that you have issues even at stock). Motherboard makers are not always accurate about what a chipset CAN do.
I have seen many x975 chipsets have no issue with 1333FSB, but I had one board that just did not do it. That same board(P5W DH) did not want to overclock the Q6600 very far, yet others with the same board clocked great. My e6600 clocked far better on that board.

I am still surprised about a lack of stock speed stability. Did you check to make sure your ram was not overclocked(and is at the right voltage), some boards do this and cause instability.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2011 12:54:27 AM

it was working fine with a dual core e6600 @3.24, over 1333 fsb, only the quad core has issues, memory is set exactly the same with both cpu's. I did try underclocking the ram with no better stability. timings are set manually to gskills specs. I think that its a motherboard issue, the vcore shouldnt drop so much under load. I'm not too fussed, i'll be upgrading in the next couple months to an SB setup.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2011 11:27:31 PM

nukemaster said:
I think it may be more of a chipset issue(Nvidia had some known issues with quad cores when they first came out, it may just be bad luck that you have issues even at stock). Motherboard makers are not always accurate about what a chipset CAN do.
I have seen many x975 chipsets have no issue with 1333FSB, but I had one board that just did not do it. That same board(P5W DH) did not want to overclock the Q6600 very far, yet others with the same board clocked great. My e6600 clocked far better on that board.

I am still surprised about a lack of stock speed stability. Did you check to make sure your ram was not overclocked(and is at the right voltage), some boards do this and cause instability.

well i fixed the problem. Was about to give up, removed the q6600 and was about to put the e6600 back in, when i noticed one of the pins in the socket was at a different angle than the others, it was hard to spot, dont know how it happened. but it was pushed down a little and probably not making proper contact, so i bent it up a bit. Now it has been running fine with the q6600 for about an hour running p95. I have it at stock clocks for now but im sure OC'ing shouldnt be too much of a problem now that its working as it should be. Thanks again for all your help everyone.
m
l
a c 132 à CPUs
a c 123 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2011 3:19:33 AM

it is very good to see you got it working. And if it overclocks well, its even better.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2011 4:13:59 AM

its running pretty stable at 2.7ghz so far, hopefully will get it to 3ghz. I tried a couple times at 2.8 and 3ghz quickly but wouldnt boot into windows. not sure if its a voltage thing or not yet, tried dropping the multiplier and increasing FSB but no difference, probably just needs more volts. ill just leave it at 2.7 for a while as it seems stable and I can actually use my computer.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2011 8:29:01 PM

nukemaster said:
it is very good to see you got it working. And if it overclocks well, its even better.

have hit a wall at 2.7ghz, cant get anything more from it. cant get windows to boot at more than 2.8ghz, tried different multipliers, more/less FSB, tried up to 1.5v vcore, increasing NB volts, dropping ram speed, increasing ram volts, NOTHING can get it past 2.7. I cant even drop the multiplier and run a slightly faster FSB at 2.7. I guess i'll just have to be happy with that.......
m
l
a c 132 à CPUs
a c 123 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2011 8:44:21 PM

2.7 is so much better then bsod's. That seems to be about the average on that board anyway. Driving 4 cores(there are actually 2 cpu dies with 2 cores each, think of driving 2 E6600's) is harder on some chipsets.

m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 20, 2011 8:27:24 AM

i ended up with a random restart today, so i got frustrated and gave up and have swapped back to my dual core e6600 at 3.26ghz. Close thread please mods.
m
l
!