Is there risk in magnetic fan filters

baverdi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I am looking at cases and some do not have filters. I found some filters for sale that re magnetic which sounds like a great idea, so there is no drilling or excessive modding. But can I safely use a magnetic fan filter to filter the hdd cage on say an antec 900 or an AZZA Solano? Magnets and hdds have a rocky past but these filters are on computer websites and most if not all front intake fans that could need a filter are next to the hdd. I feel I am being over cautious but if my magnetic fan filter was within an inch or two of my hdd would the magnet be strong enough to cause storage issues?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/88...tl=g36c223s885

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I wouldn't want one of these next to a floppy, but for a HDD there is really no risk. (Your link doesn't work, BTW...)

Absolutely no risk whatsoever to your hard drive. The voice coil actuator INSIDE the hard drive actually has a much bigger and badder magnet than anything you'll find on a filter. Magnets won't affect the data on the platters unless you actually open up the drive and bring the the magnet into physical contact with the disk. Even that won't affect the data unless the magnet is fairly strong.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Voice coil???

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sminlal is absolutely right - no danger in using them, unless you put a FLOPPY disk up against the magnetic frame of the filter.

Read a cute tale once years ago. The computer magazine columnist came home to find a floppy disk of data he needed stuck to the front of the fridge (where he would find it easily) - with a fridge magnet!