New sata harddrive making creeking noise

wickedsunny

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
hi.........
im having some problem with my harddrive.i bought a brand new 500gb Western Digial sata2 harddrive for my desktop computer......it ran fine for about 2 weeks then today out of the blue it couldnt get to windows.....and the windows loading bar was kind of like on a loop...(xp sp3)....i restarted then the hdd smart cap told me that harddrive situation was bad and to backup my data......i removed my casing case and disconected the power and sata cable and reconnected them and then when i started the computer.....the harddrive gave its usual startup mechanical sound but after that i started to hear creeking noise after every second.....it was like the harddrive was trying to run again and again but the creek sound came again and again........i mean i would hear the hardisk startup sound then a creek....then again startup sound and then again creek noise...so on till it gaves up, same happens again after restart ...isn't loud like u hear in old harddrives when there abot to die but certainly a sound that isnt supposed to come..............

any ideas........really pissed right now....:-(...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there, & welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Sounds like you do have a hardware problem. A new WD drive like that shouldn't be making any noises.

The best thing to do is to download HD Tune (get the trial version of the Pro) HT Tune Pro, run it and evaluate this disk by using the Health Tab to see if there are any Status alerts, then the Error Scan Tab (takes a while but checks for errors on the disk), and finally the Benchmark Tab to look at the reading speed across the disk.

That way if there is any problem, you will have tested it and have the knowledge to obtain a rapid RMA.

Let us know what you find!

SMART is already saying the drive is faulty .

Unlikely to be a power problem , unlikely to be a cable problem .
The bottom line for HDD's is that they have fragile moving parts . One decent shake like the courier throwing the box into his van can damage them .

The fix is simple. Buy another drive and once you've gotten critical data off that one send it back for a refund
Do it soon before it dies completely

wickedsunny

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
there gonna replace it ill get it in about two days..... thank you to all for ur help...........strangely enough my old ide seagate 80gb hard drive came back from the dead which im using now n running fine......even checked it on hd tune...no alerts or anything ...i guess this is its last hurrah :).............any thing i should be concerned about before installing the new 1

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

WD is very good about returns and replacements.
Nothing special about adding a new drive to your computer. Are you going to put Win-XP SP-3 on it as the system drive to boot from?

Now that you are familiar with HD Tune, it is good to have in your utility tool box. Might even take a baseline reading on your new WD drive so you will have a baseline should any questions about it's functioning arise down the road.

wickedsunny

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

well yes i will install sp2 first and then upgrade to sp3....because i got to work on ms ofiice n sql etc

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Just a thought, you can update to SP-3 directly and skip the other two (all inclusive). Either a download or $8 disk purchase from MS.