NTLRD is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

sninawale

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I shut down my Laptop (Fujitsu Esprimo) and take it home. Don't use it until this morning when i put it on it gives me an error message

NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

I restart and nothing happens to so put in a Windows XP CD and try that but nothing happens there. I notice that the normal instructions the come as boot up such as the Press F2 to enter setup does not appear.

I have all my documents on this laptop and I can't afford to lose this. PLease Please please help.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Some boot file got corrupted. Make sure the PC boots from the XP disk (press F2, or F8, or some other F key (read your manual)), and choose install (yes, install), then press F8 to accept the terms, and then select your XP installation and press R to repair install XP and not lose any data.

Zenthar

Distinguished
If the problem is by the corruption of only some files, there are ways to restore only these files and not having to repair or reinstall Windows ... follow the links I provided. If worst come to worst, you can also try to use a Linux LiveCD to boot and then try to recover your files before reinstallation.