Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard don't recognized keyboard. NEED HELP!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 23, 2010 5:44:54 PM

I have a problem. I bought motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GPM-UD2H(rev. 1.1), BIOS version F5 and assembled a system. When I tried to turn completed computer on I can't operate it because my computer didn't connect with my USB keyboard. I tried two different keyboards, but computer don't works. I thought it might be problem with USB, but the computer can use external DVD-drive.
I reset BIOS. I change BIOS setting to default, and right now I can sometimes go into BIOS (but not all times, approximately in 30% I couldn't go into BIOS because computer don't respond t keyboard).
I tried to use PS/2 keyboard but it have not any effect (it works same with USB keyboard).
I tried to load "Optimized setting" in BIOS but it didn't work in my case.
If computer respond keyboard I can only go to BIOS, after POST test passed and I can see "Boot from CD/DVD" the computer don't respond to keyboard and I can't do anything.
PLEASE!!! HELP ME!!! I just assemble a new computer but I can't use it!
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 6:31:38 PM

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page of your BIOS, you will find items called "OnChip USB Controller", "USB EHCI Controller", and "USB Keyboard Support" - make sure all three are set to "Enabled"; that said, I have yet to find a GB MOBO that actually needs "USB Keyboard Support" enabled for the kbd to work in the BIOS - but, there's always a first time... You may have a keyboard that has a 'marginal' USB transceiver in it, and only runs 'sometimes'; GBs are notoriously 'picky' about USB devices themselves, and from time to time, I see things here that 'generically' (I mean, for no one with a GB - the last major one was a pair of WD external drives, 1 and 1.5 Tb...) don't work on GBs, but (so far), no keyboards or rodents have exhibited this behavior... You can alway try a PS2; also, if you've not already tried it, it might function on a different USB port - you may have one with, say, a bad contact...
m
l
February 23, 2010 6:52:11 PM

bilbat said:
On the "Integrated Peripherals" page of your BIOS, you will find items called "OnChip USB Controller", "USB EHCI Controller", and "USB Keyboard Support" - make sure all three are set to "Enabled".

I checked "USB Keyboard Support" and it's "Enabled". I'll try to find "OnChip USB Controller" in the evening, but motherboard recognize my external USB DVD-drive and I think USB controller works.
bilbat said:
You can alway try a PS2; also, if you've not already tried it, it might function on a different USB port - you may have one with, say, a bad contact...

I tried to use PS/2 keyboard but it was same thing - I could go into BIOS, but couldn't operate with keyboard.
Thanks for answer.
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 8:05:26 PM

Humor me here: I assume you have a pair of DIMMs in the thing... Power down; pull one DIMM, leaving one in the slot nearest the CPU; power up and fiddle around with it until you're able to do the "Load Optimized" from the BIOS again; once you get it, do the <F10> save and exit; reboot, and try it a few times to see if your problem is gone; if it persists, power down again, and swap in the other DIMM, see if that 'straightens it out' - my suspicion, a memory problem; I don't know exactly at what point in the POST it's done, but one of the earlier things that happens is the BIOS copies itself to RAM for execution - may be 'choking' there...
m
l
February 23, 2010 8:38:48 PM

bilbat said:
Humor me here: I assume you have a pair of DIMMs in the thing... Power down; pull one DIMM, leaving one in the slot nearest the CPU; power up and fiddle around with it until you're able to do the "Load Optimized" from the BIOS again; once you get it, do the <F10> save and exit; reboot, and try it a few times to see if your problem is gone; if it persists, power down again, and swap in the other DIMM, see if that 'straightens it out' - my suspicion, a memory problem; I don't know exactly at what point in the POST it's done, but one of the earlier things that happens is the BIOS copies itself to RAM for execution - may be 'choking' there...

Thanks, I'll try it at the evening. Unfortunately, I don't have different memory trying to change it to different manufacturer memory DIMM.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 23, 2010 9:01:32 PM

Well, it's possible that the board, or the CPU, just doesn't 'like' the memory itself; or, that it's somehow not reading the SPD data correctly to set itself up right; I think, though, much more likely you just got a bad stick...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2010 12:54:08 PM

I had the nearly the same board, only the US2H version. And I had exactly the same problem. Getting the keyboard to work before you booted into Windows was hit or miss. I just lived with until one day, the board suddenly refused to boot. After messing with everything I could think of for 2 days, I tossed it into the closet and just went and bought another board, a 790X-UD4P. Moved everything over and have never had a problem since. I think there may be something flakey with those boards. Mine worked for a long time, but it just never did seem quite right. Again, I have all the same identical hardware, just moved it to all to the new board, not a single issue now.
m
l
February 25, 2010 4:58:43 AM

Hi everybody.
Thanks for advices. I just changed this motherboard and assemble new one. The first time I couldn't do anything except went into the BIOS with USB keyboard. I used PS/2 keyboard and made some changes in BIOS. After I reboot my system, is looked like working and I connect USB keyboard, but in different USP port (not nearest to mouse connection). Right now system looks like working, but I didn't try to install operating system, because I didn't use thermal paste to connect Fan to CPU. I think tomorrow I'm going to do normal connection between CPU and Fan and try to install system. I hope my computer will works great.
m
l
August 12, 2010 5:40:58 PM

Hi I have same problem with a gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H... they appparently have a BIOS revision that fixes this:

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Mo...

The revision that mentions fixing this bug is:

F8 2009/10/08

1. Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.5.3.1 code / AM3 C3 CPU)
2. Fix USB keyboard compatibility

There is a new (beta) revivision available -- F9B

I know this is an old thread, but others might land here from a google search looking for a solution... should be cheaper than buying a new board. :) 
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 12:11:52 AM

BM13 said:
I didn't use thermal paste to connect Fan to CPU.

Yeah, that I'll pretty much do all of the above!

BM13 said:
I have a problem. I bought motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GPM-UD2H(rev. 1.1), BIOS version F5

If everything is running then my advice to you is to leave your BIOS alone...

I did not see a rev 1.1 - just rev 1.0 [GA-MA785GPM-UD2H rev 1.0] - http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3139...

You need to verify your MOBO and version before D/L any BIOS.

For version 1.0 the latest Beta BIOS is F5D which offers the following "fixes" including "Fix USB keyboard compatibility" :
1. Beta BIOS
2. add CPU Core Control option
3. Fix USB keyboard compatibility
4. Update CPU AGESA 3.7.0.0 for AMD 6core CPU
m
l
!