Motherboard don't recognized keyboard. NEED HELP!!!

I have a problem. I bought motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GPM-UD2H(rev. 1.1), BIOS version F5 and assembled a system. When I tried to turn completed computer on I can't operate it because my computer didn't connect with my USB keyboard. I tried two different keyboards, but computer don't works. I thought it might be problem with USB, but the computer can use external DVD-drive.
I reset BIOS. I change BIOS setting to default, and right now I can sometimes go into BIOS (but not all times, approximately in 30% I couldn't go into BIOS because computer don't respond t keyboard).
I tried to use PS/2 keyboard but it have not any effect (it works same with USB keyboard).
I tried to load "Optimized setting" in BIOS but it didn't work in my case.
If computer respond keyboard I can only go to BIOS, after POST test passed and I can see "Boot from CD/DVD" the computer don't respond to keyboard and I can't do anything.
PLEASE!!! HELP ME!!! I just assemble a new computer but I can't use it!
9 answers Last reply
More about motherboard recognized keyboard help
  1. On the "Integrated Peripherals" page of your BIOS, you will find items called "OnChip USB Controller", "USB EHCI Controller", and "USB Keyboard Support" - make sure all three are set to "Enabled"; that said, I have yet to find a GB MOBO that actually needs "USB Keyboard Support" enabled for the kbd to work in the BIOS - but, there's always a first time... You may have a keyboard that has a 'marginal' USB transceiver in it, and only runs 'sometimes'; GBs are notoriously 'picky' about USB devices themselves, and from time to time, I see things here that 'generically' (I mean, for no one with a GB - the last major one was a pair of WD external drives, 1 and 1.5 Tb...) don't work on GBs, but (so far), no keyboards or rodents have exhibited this behavior... You can alway try a PS2; also, if you've not already tried it, it might function on a different USB port - you may have one with, say, a bad contact...
  2. bilbat said:
    On the "Integrated Peripherals" page of your BIOS, you will find items called "OnChip USB Controller", "USB EHCI Controller", and "USB Keyboard Support" - make sure all three are set to "Enabled".

I checked "USB Keyboard Support" and it's "Enabled". I'll try to find "OnChip USB Controller" in the evening, but motherboard recognize my external USB DVD-drive and I think USB controller works.
    bilbat said:
    You can alway try a PS2; also, if you've not already tried it, it might function on a different USB port - you may have one with, say, a bad contact...

I tried to use PS/2 keyboard but it was same thing - I could go into BIOS, but couldn't operate with keyboard.
    Thanks for answer.
  3. Humor me here: I assume you have a pair of DIMMs in the thing... Power down; pull one DIMM, leaving one in the slot nearest the CPU; power up and fiddle around with it until you're able to do the "Load Optimized" from the BIOS again; once you get it, do the <F10> save and exit; reboot, and try it a few times to see if your problem is gone; if it persists, power down again, and swap in the other DIMM, see if that 'straightens it out' - my suspicion, a memory problem; I don't know exactly at what point in the POST it's done, but one of the earlier things that happens is the BIOS copies itself to RAM for execution - may be 'choking' there...
  4. bilbat said:
    Humor me here: I assume you have a pair of DIMMs in the thing... Power down; pull one DIMM, leaving one in the slot nearest the CPU; power up and fiddle around with it until you're able to do the "Load Optimized" from the BIOS again; once you get it, do the <F10> save and exit; reboot, and try it a few times to see if your problem is gone; if it persists, power down again, and swap in the other DIMM, see if that 'straightens it out' - my suspicion, a memory problem; I don't know exactly at what point in the POST it's done, but one of the earlier things that happens is the BIOS copies itself to RAM for execution - may be 'choking' there...

Thanks, I'll try it at the evening. Unfortunately, I don't have different memory trying to change it to different manufacturer memory DIMM.
  5. Well, it's possible that the board, or the CPU, just doesn't 'like' the memory itself; or, that it's somehow not reading the SPD data correctly to set itself up right; I think, though, much more likely you just got a bad stick...
  6. I had the nearly the same board, only the US2H version. And I had exactly the same problem. Getting the keyboard to work before you booted into Windows was hit or miss. I just lived with until one day, the board suddenly refused to boot. After messing with everything I could think of for 2 days, I tossed it into the closet and just went and bought another board, a 790X-UD4P. Moved everything over and have never had a problem since. I think there may be something flakey with those boards. Mine worked for a long time, but it just never did seem quite right. Again, I have all the same identical hardware, just moved it to all to the new board, not a single issue now.
  7. Hi everybody.
    Thanks for advices. I just changed this motherboard and assemble new one. The first time I couldn't do anything except went into the BIOS with USB keyboard. I used PS/2 keyboard and made some changes in BIOS. After I reboot my system, is looked like working and I connect USB keyboard, but in different USP port (not nearest to mouse connection). Right now system looks like working, but I didn't try to install operating system, because I didn't use thermal paste to connect Fan to CPU. I think tomorrow I'm going to do normal connection between CPU and Fan and try to install system. I hope my computer will works great.
  8. Hi I have same problem with a gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H... they appparently have a BIOS revision that fixes this:

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2997&ver=#anchor_os

The revision that mentions fixing this bug is:

F8 2009/10/08

1. Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.5.3.1 code / AM3 C3 CPU)
    2. Fix USB keyboard compatibility

There is a new (beta) revivision available -- F9B

I know this is an old thread, but others might land here from a google search looking for a solution... should be cheaper than buying a new board. :)
  9. BM13 said:
    I didn't use thermal paste to connect Fan to CPU.

Yeah, that I'll pretty much do all of the above!

BM13 said:
    I have a problem. I bought motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GPM-UD2H(rev. 1.1), BIOS version F5

If everything is running then my advice to you is to leave your BIOS alone...

I did not see a rev 1.1 - just rev 1.0 [GA-MA785GPM-UD2H rev 1.0] - http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3139#dl

You need to verify your MOBO and version before D/L any BIOS.

For version 1.0 the latest Beta BIOS is F5D which offers the following "fixes" including "Fix USB keyboard compatibility" :
    1. Beta BIOS
    2. add CPU Core Control option
    3. Fix USB keyboard compatibility
    4. Update CPU AGESA 3.7.0.0 for AMD 6core CPU
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte BIOS Computer Keyboards Motherboards