Sign in with
Your question

Review my Rig!!!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2009 2:34:11 AM

I have already bought the parts marked with an '*' so don't bother recommending different parts. Tell me what you think!

CPU: Phenom x2 550 Black Edition*
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H*
RAM: Generic 2GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 320GB*
Case: Generic*
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W*
GPU: Gigabyte HD 4670*
LCD: Acer 22"*
Optical Drive: Sony*

More about : review rig

September 5, 2009 2:50:45 AM

So the only thing to review is the Ram and OS?

Make sure the ram is DDR2 for that board, generic is fine if you're not going to OC. How much money do you have left for the ram?

The build looks well balanced. Dependig on the resolution of the monitor, you won't be running games at high if thats what you do. 1680x1050 is still okay for that card, but 1920x1080 will push settings into the low area.
September 5, 2009 2:56:14 AM

skora said:
So the only thing to review is the Ram and OS?

Make sure the ram is DDR2 for that board, generic is fine if you're not going to OC. How much money do you have left for the ram?

The build looks well balanced. Dependig on the resolution of the monitor, you won't be running games at high if thats what you do. 1680x1050 is still okay for that card, but 1920x1080 will push settings into the low area.

Just because i have bought the parts doesn't mean you can't review them :kaola:  Yeah it's DDR2 generic ram. I have $0 left over right now. I am planning on getting "4GB Kit(2x2G)DDR2 1066 TEAM-XtreemDark" later on. My monitor doesn't support 1920x1080 anyway so all good there. Yeah it's supposed to be a casual gaming rig, nothing special but solid.
Related resources
September 5, 2009 3:23:13 AM

I said it was well balanced. Thats a good thing. Didn't waste money or bottleneck the system with a weak part. You choose good manufactures too.

The only Xtreem Dark I could find looks like it runs on really high voltages. 2.3+? Unless its free, I'd say get something else.

Instead of buying generic now, and then a full kit later, I'd suggest going with a single 2gb chip now, then buy a matching one later for the dual channel and 4gig total. Unless you're running vista, 2gb will be enough for a casual gaming rig though.
September 5, 2009 3:33:47 AM

OK maybe some Kingston ram?
September 5, 2009 8:15:02 AM

If you want 2GB of RAM, I would go for perhaps 800Mhz frequency and get 4x512MB sticks. That way you can get full speed (using all available channels) out of your RAM rather than one 2GB stick which will only go as fast as one DIMM slot allows.
September 5, 2009 12:00:37 PM

Where are you shopping? And how soon do you need this running?

I'm big on lower power consumption, so if I can build a rig that does the same thing as the next with less power, I'm happy. Using 4 sticks of ram will add to the power needed, heat generated, and provide no appreciable gains to speed. Ram generally isn't the weak link in system performance. Higher base speed is better for AMD chips than Intel as their OC potential is linked more than Intels are. That mobo only has 4 ram slots, so using 4x512 doesn't leave any room for upgrades.
September 6, 2009 12:39:24 AM

skora said:
Where are you shopping? And how soon do you need this running?

I'm big on lower power consumption, so if I can build a rig that does the same thing as the next with less power, I'm happy. Using 4 sticks of ram will add to the power needed, heat generated, and provide no appreciable gains to speed. Ram generally isn't the weak link in system performance. Higher base speed is better for AMD chips than Intel as their OC potential is linked more than Intels are. That mobo only has 4 ram slots, so using 4x512 doesn't leave any room for upgrades.

Umm I have already bought most of the parts, from www.msy.com.au I am probably just going to use 2 x 1GB RAM.
September 6, 2009 1:03:06 AM

If it's super cheap, then that's probably the way to go with $0.

However, I would reconsider your OS choice. I used XP up until 5 months or so ago (as I hated vista) and changed to Windows 7 when the beta (then RC) came out - the speed difference is incredible on multi-core processors and it is a million times better than vista. While XP runs better than win7 on single core machines, XP is ultra slow comparitively to win7 on new machines. XP just can't fully utilise multi-core processors.

I suggest at least trying Windows 7 (it works fine on a 2GB RAM system)
September 6, 2009 1:09:38 AM

OK. Well how do I get Windows 7 BETA onto my new computer? Do I just burn it to a disc or what?
September 6, 2009 1:19:10 AM

Burn the windows 7 iso to a disk with an iso burner (alcohol 120%, power iso, etc). Email me: stecman@gmail.com
!