May 20, 2011
Here are the major components I currently have:

1 x Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet MCR-320
1 x Swiftech MCR220-QP Quiet MCR-220
1 x Swiftech MCP655
1 x EK-MultiOption Reservoir X2 - 250 Advanced
2 x EK-FC460 GTX - Acetal + Nickel
1 x XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock

I created a test loop to ensure everything worked and didn't leak. The loop was minus the MCR-220. I have the speed control MCP655 and had it set at about level 4 and wasn't sure if that was fast enough. Had a flow meter connected into the loop but didn't have it connected to my fan controller for a rpm reading. It looks like if I had added the second rad I may have had to place the pump on top setting which is why I made this thread. I'm overclocked but didn't think my current air cooled /H-50 temps were high enough to warrant dual loops.

CPU (H-50) - Idle 42c/ stressed 72c
GPU (Stock air) - Idle 35c/ stressed 53c

Solution
Radiators are the lowest restriction components in a loop- you don't need to add another pump or bump the speed simply because you add another rad. Most people with the MCP655 vario set it to 5- setting it to 4 is the same as running the non-vario MCP655b...it's set to '4'. Just turn it to 5 and be done with it.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I think the pump you are using is a 450 (Koolance spec), which is the most powerful pump available.

Your temps look OK.

The disadvantage of running a single pump is a lack of redundancy if pump fails.

You could run a second pump in the loop if in doubt.

There is no real advantage to running dual loops IMO.

To give some perspective, I am running 4 360 rads + 3 GPU coolers using 2 400 pumps.

My temps are :

CPU @ 4.6GHz 33C/60C
GPU @ 1.125V/900/1800/2000 35C/52C.

Hope this helps.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I don't mean/want you to spend needless money.

The chances of your pump failing is slim (MTBF 50 000hours), though it can happen at any time.

As long as you keep an eye out for temps/flow.

IMO, just run a single pump for now.

Also, have you put a QDC/T Junction or Drain Valve somewhere in your loop?

It helps greatly if you need to drain your loop or add to your loop in the future.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Radiators are the lowest restriction components in a loop- you don't need to add another pump or bump the speed simply because you add another rad. Most people with the MCP655 vario set it to 5- setting it to 4 is the same as running the non-vario MCP655b...it's set to '4'. Just turn it to 5 and be done with it.

Solution

silent54

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Thanks for the help guys. I need to set the test loop up again and see how loud the pump is at top setting. If it's just to loud, I'll look at dual pumps to lower the settings and for redundancy.

silent54

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
In my first test loop, all the components were sitting on a work table. The vibration echo at high setting was very noticeable but that was before I bought a dampening material. Going to place the pump and res in the case this time. Going to hook up the flow meter this time. What would a typical water flow rpm be for a loop like this? Have quite a few docs from this and other forums but don't member ever seeing anything on flow speeds.

silent54

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Sorry about the no reply. Last minute projects and finals have caught up with me. Thanks for the info rubix. I think I'm going to go with a single loop with dual pumps for redundancy. I thought about a single loop and then possibly dual loops but threw the what if in there. I can't afford having my system down for more than a day or so waiting on a new pump, which would probably be the first thing to go considering it's the only component with moving parts. So, I'm going to through in a second MCP655 with a dual D5 mod top.