Full memory not reconized on Gigabyte board

lalokc23

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hi there folks

Recently my Asus board died, an m2npv-vm I had with an Athlon 64 x2 4600+ processor, and two 1gig modules of Kingston ddr2 memory (model#:KVR667D2N5K2). After doing some research, I bought a Gigabyte ga-m52L-s3p board, which according to the manual and online info, supports my old processor and memory.

After installing it, everything was fine until I realized that in system properties only 1gig was being recognized. Have already tried first both sticks on the yellow slots... then just one... then the other... then one in the yellow and one in the red slot... then both on the red slots... then one... then the other... Its recognizing only 512mb off of each module, both in the bios (which I updated) and winXP.

Both the processor and both memory modules have been tested and are working fine.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'm kind of clueless right now, and there seems to be no (evident) option in the bios to help me with this, although to be honest half the options there seem a little bit scary for me to meddle with!!

Needless to say, this is very frustrating.

any thoughts (or warnings)?

thanks for your help.

Lalo

lalokc23

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
The thing is that its not getting recognized by the bios, so as long as the bios (mobo) doesn`t recognize it, winxp won`t either... right?

When I get in the bios it says: Extended Memory 1024mb
If I put only one memory module (any of the two), it says: Extended Memory 512mb

gonna check with cpuid, nevertheless...

L.

lalokc23

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

so, its:

Gigabyte ga-m52L-s3p MOBO
Athlon 64 x2 4600+ PROCESSOR
2 x 1gig Kingston ddr2 model#:KVR667D2N5K2 MEMORY
Bios Updated to F5

lalokc23

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
no worries, man!! some of us have been spacing out since forever... ;)

I guess I'll have to drop them an e-mail...

even a 1-800 number is long distance from Southamerica!

anyways... not so sure if its a memory issue... at least to me seems like a mobo thing...

but of course I can be wrong... I know I can!

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
it could be either or... they could have sent you the 512 mb version packaged as a the 1gig version (highly unlikely) or your bios could be messed up..
did you clear you cmos before updating?
the people at kingston should be able to troublshoot with you when you talk to them.. even if it is a mobo issue it is still a ram issue... as in the ram is what is not being recognized correctly. So either way they can help you.