WILL THIS SOLVE MY PROBLEM?

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
My computer turns off after about 2-10 seconds of being on. So i thought it was the PSU so i got a new one (550W) Still SAME ****** THING!!! If i leave my computer on for about 1 day UNPLUGGED it will turn on and work great......temps are good and such........when i restart it, it turns off, then turns on and same story all over again.

SO WHAT IS THIS???????????????? Read my specs if u need em.

ITS LGA 775 with stock cooler

SO!>>>>>>> SHOULD I RESEAT THE HEATSINK AND CHANGE THE THERMAL COMPUND?? OR GIVE IT UP FOR WARRANTY FOR EM TO REPAIR.

Well one of the hardest thing to do is to troubleshoot computer hardware with out having extra parts to swap out to nail down the actual problem. You have already tried the PSU, what is next? Do you check your temps? Have you ruled out OS corruption? Have you reset cmos? Have you entered bios and relaxed timings on your ram? Have you run memtest?
My point is there is no answer to your question, it is time consuming and frustrating to troubleshoot. I still say if you have warranty use it!

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I agreed. If you open it and fiddle around (ie, try to reseat the heatsink) they will be more than happy to remind you your warranty is void and you will have to A. find the problem, and B. pay to have it fixed. If you have a warranty, take the drive and definitely use it. I wouldnt have even tried a new power supply if it was under warranty.....they may use that as an excuse. I would install the old power supply before bringing it in for warranty. Even then, prebuilt computers normally have some sort of safety tape on the case that way if you open the case, they know and tell you your warranty is void. Anyways, point of the story, try to RMA first, if it doesn't work out the forum can give you some suggestions.

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
no they dont void like that , i opened case to install fans and wirelles card , and i called and they said if u dont physically brake something then you will not void it.....well thanks anywayz