Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive the cause of a slow computer?

Last response: in Storage
June 30, 2011 5:27:52 AM

Hey guys I recently built a new computer (I say this every time, this should be my moto)

All the parts are new, but the Harddrive is carried over from my last computer to save me the time of redownloading/installing everything.

I can give more specifics if needed, but Can that be a reason that my new computer is just about as slow as my old one (which was half as good in parts and everything)

Thanks toms
a c 354 G Storage
June 30, 2011 11:56:52 AM

Windows still has all the drivers for your old motherboard installed. When changing motherboards, a clean install is recommended. A repair install may fix some of the problems or at the very least update the chipset drivers.
June 30, 2011 1:15:33 PM

I have updated all the drivers for my current build. But does this mean that I have to uninstall all the drivers for my old motherboard?
Related resources
a c 354 G Storage
June 30, 2011 2:31:38 PM

You shouldn't need to uninstall them since they are no longer in use. They will however clutter up your hard drive... another reason a clean install is highly recommended when moving to a new build.
June 30, 2011 3:51:33 PM

i think i'm best off looking for a new hd and a newer version of windows then...

I have a few extra sata slots/cables, can I plug in 2 harddrives and transfer the files?
a c 354 G Storage
June 30, 2011 4:04:00 PM

Stupiditystrikes said:

I have a few extra sata slots/cables, can I plug in 2 harddrives and transfer the files?

Yes, you can do that. Make sure those sata ports are enabled in the bios.
June 30, 2011 4:05:26 PM

So if I buy a hd with a windows 7 package, how do I get it to run windows 7 instead of vista on the computer? because my old hd has vista and this new one has 7
a c 354 G Storage
June 30, 2011 4:14:10 PM

Easy, make sure the new drive is the only drive connected to the motherboard when you install win 7. Now, power down the computer, reconnect the other drives and change the boot device/boot order so that the win 7 drive is the 1st boot drive. The vista drive will now show as a secondary drive. If you leave the vista drive intact, you could even change the boot device back to the vista drive and boot into vista and the win 7 drive will show up as a secondary drive.
June 30, 2011 6:26:35 PM

Thanks.
Will the old harddrive slow down the computer if both are inserted and the slow one is put as a secondary harddrive?
a c 354 G Storage
June 30, 2011 6:30:38 PM

No, this is only true of very old IDE drives & motherboards.
a c 271 G Storage
July 1, 2011 7:19:14 AM

Could we see a read benchmark graph (eg HD Tune) for your HD?
July 1, 2011 8:00:21 AM

alright, I'll do it when I have the time to, Expect it in the next day or two.
a c 154 G Storage
July 1, 2011 6:44:27 PM

1) What is the problem you are trying to solve?
I know, it is slow, but slow in what way?

Is your gaming FPS the same?

Is internet browsing response the same?

Is there lag in opening folders?

Does video editing thake just as long?

Give us some more details.

2) Hard drives all perform about the same, so changing one out is not likely a solution.
One possibility is that the hard drive is failing, and is going through error recovery.

Only a SSD replacement will give demonstratable improvements.

3) Do you possibly have a virus or malware?

4) Do you have adequate ram?

5) A windows 7 upgrade package can change a vista os into a windows 7 os in place.
But, I would do a clean install instead.
July 1, 2011 8:45:46 PM

Ah thanks for asking.
1. it is slow in booting up and logging in. I have a 3.9 ghz processor and 3.1 gbs of ram (stupid 32-bit vista)
This is a completely new system that I've built, with the exception of a cd-drive and the harddrive, which i kept to refrain from redownloading everything. (if you click a simple program like minesweeper or something as soon as it shows your toolbar, it takes about 5 to 10 mins before the program even shows up.

Under heavy load, my computer appears to be extremely slow and sluggish, and loading up programs appears to be a great problem. Exiting multiple programs, even. (When it's time to shut it down, i exit out of a lot of programs, and it takes them a few seconds to realize that its been exited)

I don't video edit, so I wouldn't know.

Opening folders takes a while. I defragged my harddrive a week ago and it is still pretty slow.

2. Gaming FPS is great because of my vid card and everything.

3. I run Norton (haha) scans weekly and look for signs of anything, so I believe I do not have viruses/malware.

4. I have 4gbs of Low latency 7-7-7-20 ram installed, and it is lowered to 3.1 gbs because of 32-bit.

5. Memory express is being nice and having a Canada day sale, which provides me with this: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-BDL_WIN7HP_ST...(ME).aspx?utm_source=eFlyer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=July2011_CanadaDay

This seems like a good opportunity to get myself a new harddrive seeing as mine is 4gbs away from being full anyways.

Oh and under heavy load, my core temperature doesn't really rise, which is quite concerning. (around 40-50 degrees)
July 1, 2011 9:08:16 PM

So I did a general benchmark on the read portion of my HD.

Best solution

a c 271 G Storage
July 1, 2011 11:05:55 PM

Wow, that has to be one of the worst benchmark results I've ever seen!

This is what your graph should look like:
http://i16.servimg.com/u/f16/12/56/32/43/hdtune10.png
http://www.kine-online.com/7beta/2009b10seven-vintage-h...

Could we see the SMART attributes under the Health tab? I'm betting that you will see a large number of reallocated, pending, and uncorrectable sectors.
July 1, 2011 11:08:22 PM

SMART attributes?

Sorry I couldnt find any. Can you specify a bit?

Here's what it looks like so far
a c 271 G Storage
July 1, 2011 11:43:31 PM

Apart from the 1 pending sector, the SMART report looks good.

I wonder if the benchmark is being influenced by background tasks such as your antivirus software. You night like to repeat the test with your AV software disabled.

Better still, you could perform a full surface scan in a DOS environment using a utility such as MHDD. MHDD will identify "slow" sectors, ie those that require several retries.

http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/
http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/mhdd_manual...
July 2, 2011 12:42:59 AM

I had no antivirus running. I turned off the background tasks
a c 154 G Storage
July 2, 2011 12:51:36 AM

See if Hitachi has a hard drive analysis utility which will check out your hard drive.

It looks to me like the hard drive is starting/already gone bad and should be replaced.
July 2, 2011 6:15:29 PM

Searched for it but i'm not too sure which one to get.

I'm also not sure if they're free
July 3, 2011 3:13:35 AM

So I went out a bought a new Hard drive.
And installed Windows 7 on it.
WOW. SO FAST.

Thanks all for the help!
July 3, 2011 3:14:36 AM

Best answer selected by stupiditystrikes.
!