unawareatol

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Hello, I have a COMPAQ PRESARIO SR5410F coming in the mail. I paid $155 for it! I was looking to upgrade it, but the way it has been looking it seems like it only supports one processor. The specs are Intel Pentium E2160 @ 1.86ghz, 1 gig of ram, 320 gig hard drive and Windows VIsta Home premium. It has the Intel G31 express chipset, like I said before it seems like it only supports one processor. I was wondering is there a possibility that it will support Core 2 Quad or at least Core 2 Duo. Also, will it take 8gb of ram rather than 4gb? I want it to be able to a least play my computer games like the Sims 3 and GTA IV. I know Core 2 Quad will handle them quite nicely. I would also put a nice video card in the system also. Thanks to any who respond. Have a great Thanksgiving!:D

I have used the hp "boston" motherboard. You can run the e4500 for sure, and probably the e8400. Might also run a q8200 or q8400 quad core, but not recognize it correctly. The g31 is a versatle chipset. You can't change to a non hp board unless you buy a new windows license. I made backup dvd's, and they won't load on a non hp board. You might check anandtech's forums for a used quad core. The q6600 is a popular choice as it overclocks easily, but not on your hp board. It has no overclocking options in the bios. The board has 2 ram slots, so 4 gb is the limit, and you won't need any more. I also loaded the beta version of windows 7, and it found all of the devices. Hp only supports vista on that board, as far as I know, but windows 7 should find most if not all of the boston device drivers.

unawareatol

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Thanks a lot I may go for the Core 2 Duo. The website said that I can use the e7 series of core 2 duo. No Core 2 Quad support, based on the fact the are no bios updates for it. I probably will put a nvidia card in it. I know I will be able to play GTA IV and definately Sims 3. No Windows 7. I will see if hp does a bios update so that I can get windows 7 and a quad core processor. Wish me luck!