Solved

Plz advice about my PSU

Hello
I have this motherboard "Biostar I55"
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=442

and I use now old PCI 1.0 vga 6200 until the GTX 260 come to my country , no SLI and no OC used

my current PSU is HEC Ace Power 480w

and when I opened my motherboard I read on a ticket on the psu socket that it is recommended to use 12v output above 25A

Please advice can I still use my current PSU ? again I dont use SLI or OC

thanks
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice
  1. Best answer
    I think what you mean is this: The PSU is rated 25A at 12V. Anyhow, your PSU should be just fine for now. Although you do not reveal the rest of the system details it should be sufficient.
  2. Yes, that PSU should work fine.
  3. many thanks guys , I spent alot and my psu is almost new so I dont want to replace it

    my current config are:
    i7 860 (95w)
    4 gb ram (no oc)
    6200 graphic card (temporary card until I buy new one)
    1 dvd writer
    2 hard drives (200 gb 5400 rpm and 500 gb 7200 rpm)

    now what do you think ?

    and if got GeForce GTX 260 later do I need to buy new psu then ?

    I checked many 700w PSUs and almost all of them has 12v@17A only HEC cugar series has 12v @ 30A !

    Many thanks
  4. Best answer selected by mdk4ever.
  5. It should be able to power the gtx260. If it doesn't, you can always upgrade the PSU. Give it a shot.
  6. welliam said:
    many thanks guys , I spent alot and my psu is almost new so I dont want to replace it

    my current config are:
    i7 860 (95w)
    4 gb ram (no oc)
    6200 graphic card (temporary card until I buy new one)
    1 dvd writer
    2 hard drives (200 gb 5400 rpm and 500 gb 7200 rpm)

    now what do you think ?

    and if got GeForce GTX 260 later do I need to buy new psu then ?

    I checked many 700w PSUs and almost all of them has 12v@17A only HEC cugar series has 12v @ 30A !

    Many thanks


    If you do not O/C you should be ok. It could probably even handle a stock GTX260.
    A word of caution though. Do not always trust the ratings on the PSUs, especially from unknown brands. There are many factors that play a role in those values.
    A word of advice: when the time comes to upgrade your PSU don't be cheap. Think of it as upgrading something VERY important. Buy a branded, tested PSU with a bit of headroom. Eg. for today's systems i would buy a minimum of 550W.
  7. darkguset said:
    Eg. for today's systems i would buy a minimum of 550W.


    I'd agree with everything you said, except for this. Newer video cards (dx11 series) are more power efficient. A quality PSU, such as the Corsair 450w is plenty capable. The wattage isn't the most important factor.

    These 2 PSUs are similar in price. The Coolmax is 300w bigger. However, look at the amps on the 12v rail. It's a huge difference.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&Tpk=corsair%20450w
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159111
  8. aford10 said:
    I'd agree with everything you said, except for this. Newer video cards (dx11 series) are more power efficient. A quality PSU, such as the Corsair 450w is plenty capable. The wattage isn't the most important factor.

    These 2 PSUs are similar in price. The Coolmax is 300w bigger. However, look at the amps on the 12v rail. It's a huge difference.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&Tpk=corsair%20450w
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159111



    I did not mean or him. I meant for my system, that is why i said "I" would buy. In my current system which is heavily overclocked with plenty of hard drives, etc, etc, a 550W is a minimum indeed. Not that a smaller one could not handle it, BUT i need everything to be quiet, cool and efficient, hence a bigger PSU. (Also futureproof)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product