Sign in with
Your question

New build no POST. Either MoBo or CPU?

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2009 2:54:05 PM

Hi

I get no POST and no boot on my new build. It is an ASUS M4A77TD Pro MoBo with Phenom 2 X2 550.

I have breadboarded the board with only CPU, PSU and MoBo and still no beeps. The PSU (OCZ stealthxstream 600w) I checked by using it to power another PC so I am less inclined to believe it is a PSU fault.

It is only my second build and one error I made in the build is that I plugged the floppy disk connector from the PSU into some pwr_fan pins - before I realised the fans would spin up and stop - would this have caused the board to fry?

I will test the cpu in my Dad's machine tonight as his is the only other AM3 board, can anyone reassure me that this can't kill his computer? I don't think it can.

(I've done everything on the checklist (stickied) that I can)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would love to get this working although I already have an RMA request in to ebuyer for the board. It's my girlfriends PC but I recommended the parts to her, I felt awful building it at her house to find it wouldn't boot!

Much appreciated,
Internet Prevails!

More about : build post mobo cpu

September 5, 2009 9:12:40 PM

Any ideas? Any delicious tidbits of wisdom for the new guy?
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2009 11:01:35 PM

You might have fried the motherboard, but it would be far more likely to fry only the fan power connection.
Related resources
!