Push/Pull Fan Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddiric18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I just recently built a new gaming rig, stats below, and I have a question on the cooling. I have an Antec Nine Hundred case with 3 stock 120mm case fans (2 on the front, 1 on the side) as intake, 1 stock 200mm case fan on the top as exhaust, and 1 120mm fan on the rear as exhaust. This rear fan is in a "Pull" configuration with the Cosair H60 radiator. Will I benefit from putting a second fan on the radiator and create a "Push/Pull" configuration (enough to be worth it)? If so, how do I choose a fan correctly? Do the cfm ratings need to match?

... *Note: During stress testing (P95, Intel Burn-in, Coredamage) my core temps have not gone above 48C at stock CPU settings... however, I want to OC here in the near future and I want to have my cooling system in place before I undertake that project.

...Also... I am using CoreTemp to monitor temp... What is the Tj Max of an Intel i5-2500k?

Thanks!

Rig

Intel i5-2500k

CORSAIR H60 Liquid CPU Cooler

(2) Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Crucial M4 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC SSD

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR HX750 750W

Solution
Corsair H60 instructions are to draw in ambient air from the room and exhaust it into the case. The Antec H20 620, which is what I use, is designed to exhaust out of the case. I use a push-pull (dual 120 mm fan) configuration and the performance of the cooler is just about as good as the Antec H20 920.

I would recommend that you use a push-pull configuration and exhaust the air outside the case. Get a good quality, good cfm & dBA fan.

nna2

Distinguished
as long as the fan fits on the rad, there should be no problem with push/pull, you will benifit some, because the second fan will blow air through faster, i cant tell you how much you will though

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Corsair H60 instructions are to draw in ambient air from the room and exhaust it into the case. The Antec H20 620, which is what I use, is designed to exhaust out of the case. I use a push-pull (dual 120 mm fan) configuration and the performance of the cooler is just about as good as the Antec H20 920.

I would recommend that you use a push-pull configuration and exhaust the air outside the case. Get a good quality, good cfm & dBA fan.

Solution

teddiric18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Yea, exhausting in to the case didn't make sense to me at all... so I set it up to exhaust to atmosphere....

The fan i choose, though... does it need to match the cfm of the one in place? does it not matter? or should I just buy two identical fans and use those for the push/pull?

I'm just wondering if the different pressures created by fans rated for different cfms will cause a performance decrease... or even a life decrease of the fans...

I guess I'll just have to play around with it and see what happens

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I did't match my push-pull fans. The inside (push) fan is the Antec that came with the H20 620, the outside pull fan is a Xigmatec Crystal. I haven't had any issues in 3 months. But, ideally, I'd match the fans if I were purchasing new.

BTW, I'd rather risk a fan than a CPU. In any case, if one of the fans fails, the other will still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.