Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer reboots again and again

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2009 3:43:29 PM

I have been building my systems since 1985 and this is the first time I have run into this problem. I have just rebuilt my system and it runs fine, normally. The problem started while I was playing Crysis. I would get to a certain point in the game and the display would turn a kind of pink color and the computer would freeze. No mouse or keyboard. The only option was to hold down the power button until it shut off. Obviously, this is not the unual part. The real problem is when I restart the computer it will begin the post for about 5 seconds and then the computer would shut down and restart. This sequence would continue until I held the power button down till it shut off completely. If I started it up again, it would continue the recycling. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the AC plug from the PSU and leave it unplugged for several minutes. It would then restart and boot up normally. My first thought was that it was the game, but the same thing occurred with MOH Airborne. I suspect it would happen with some of my other games as well. It seems to work fine otherwise.

One caveat, I am running Windows 7 release candidate. I am probably going to swap out the HD with a blank one and load that one with XP and see if I get the same problem. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. My new system build is listed below.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: INTEL E8500 3.16G
CPUCOOLER : ARCTIC P4 ACFZ7-PRO R
MEMORY: 8G OCZ 1066 OCZ2B10664GK
HD: 1T WD SATA2 WD1001FALS
VIDEO: BFG GEFORCE GTX 260 OC
Windows 7 Ultimate RC

More about : computer reboots

Best solution

September 5, 2009 4:11:31 PM

What is your PSU (Maker and Wattage)? I'm wondering is if your PSU is going/went bad. Crysis is a very demanding game and it might have put your system on a higher load, which caused your PSU to give out. It has enough juice for standard/low level loads but when you push your system by gaming, it doesn't have enough juice... Just another avenue to look at.
September 5, 2009 4:48:44 PM

Sounds like the classic PSU problem.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2009 6:06:50 PM

tecmo34 said:
What is your PSU (Maker and Wattage)? I'm wondering is if your PSU is going/went bad. Crysis is a very demanding game and it might have put your system on a higher load, which caused your PSU to give out. It has enough juice for standard/low level loads but when you push your system by gaming, it doesn't have enough juice... Just another avenue to look at.

I'm sorry, I meant to include that. I have an Antec 650W PSU. I had considered the PSU, and had tried disconnecting some fans and my second DVD writer, but that didn't seem to help. They probably don't draw enough to make a real difference anyway. When I rebuilt the system, I had a multi-function display that would adjust fan speed, show temps, etc. The first time I stathe computer something popped and there was that bone-chilling smell of fried circuits. I finally determined that the MFD was not working so I ditched it. Everything else seemed to be working fine. I suppose I could have damaged the PSU as well.

I have a power supply tester, so I'll try that. Any idea why the computer restarts?
m
l
September 6, 2009 2:39:36 PM

Ensure there are no conflicts shown in Device Manager; if so, make sure you install the drivers for the conflicting devices. Also update the Bios. Then down load the latest drivers for your Motherbord chipsets, Graphics card, sound card.

If the problem persists, Try installing the components -One- at the time until you find out which is the conflicting one.

m
l
September 6, 2009 4:12:44 PM

I tried the PSU tester and it gave did not detect any problems. I'm now wondering if I need a PSU with more wattage. Any thoughts?
m
l
September 8, 2009 1:58:28 PM

I disconnected my disk with Win 7 and installed XP on a blank HD. Started up Crysis and didn't get very far at all before it froze. That pretty much rules out software and OS. In my mind, the 2 most logical sources are the video card and the PSU. The fact that I need to unplug the AC cord fom the PSU to get it to start properly points to the PSU as the problem. I downloaded the latest drivers for the video card and I have the latest Bios installed. I haven't done the math, but given the system I have, is a 650 W PSU too small? If so, what should I get and should I go for modular?
m
l
September 15, 2009 2:43:04 AM

I found out what the problem was. It appears that there was a problem with some of the BFG GeForce GTX 260 cards. I spoke with a guy that said he had the same symptoms and ended swapping his card out with though BFG. I just did the same after talking with the BFG Tech Support. They were exceedingly helpful and responded quickly. So far so good. Hope this helps others with the same problem.
m
l
!