Sign in with
Your question

Should i get another 4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2009 2:51:52 AM

hey everyone i got a xfx 4850 1 gb and im thinking should i get another one and put it in crossfire im thinking on keeping my pc for 5 years or so and just recently got it, i kno the new 5s cards are gonna be in stores but i dont really want to put another 300 or so for a card, and since the 4850 are pretty cheap now i could get another one but after i get it im done doing upgrades to my pc that be prolly the last thing i get. And then just a bigger monitor as i have a 19in 1440x900 res. or should i just keep 1 4850 and later buy the 5s cards, problem is it will be a long while. So im thinking might as well go with the 2 x 4850 and be done with it. and for gaming those should be fine. Is 2 of them really gonna boost up my performance in some games that take advantage over it? I read and heard that 2 4850 are pretty much equal or better in some games than the gtx 280 if thats true than it be worth to get another one. But hit me up with your opinions and thanks.

More about : 4850

September 24, 2009 3:02:40 AM

If you're planning on going higher res with a bigger monitor, 2 4850's certainly are not going to last you 5 years. Even if you stay at that res I could see them lagging far behind much sooner with the pace graphics improve at.

Not that a single 58xx is likely to last you that long either, but I'd wait and see what kinda deals you can find for them during and right after the coming holiday season. At least that's when I'm gonna be building my rig (can't wait x_x).

Unfortunately, graphics hardware are just something you've gotta upgrade relatively often if you like playable framerates and eye candy. Such is the price of PC gaming :( 

m
l
September 24, 2009 3:32:11 AM

well thats wen ima pick it up during the holidays but i mean as years go on obviously i wont be playing on high graphics more like now its high and aa on full and stuff, then prolly medium and lower aa and after couple years ill be playin on low lol most likely. But im not sure yet ill see what ill come around.
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2009 2:41:11 PM

huntsman said:
hey everyone i got a xfx 4850 1 gb and im thinking should i get another one and put it in crossfire im thinking on keeping my pc for 5 years or so and just recently got it, i kno the new 5s cards are gonna be in stores but i dont really want to put another 300 or so for a card, and since the 4850 are pretty cheap now i could get another one but after i get it im done doing upgrades to my pc that be prolly the last thing i get. And then just a bigger monitor as i have a 19in 1440x900 res. or should i just keep 1 4850 and later buy the 5s cards, problem is it will be a long while. So im thinking might as well go with the 2 x 4850 and be done with it. and for gaming those should be fine. Is 2 of them really gonna boost up my performance in some games that take advantage over it? I read and heard that 2 4850 are pretty much equal or better in some games than the gtx 280 if thats true than it be worth to get another one. But hit me up with your opinions and thanks.

It depends on what games you like to play for example crysis. you dont see a jump in FPS but the game runs 10 times smother
i have 2 4850's and ther not to happy when your cpu is slow meaning that even 3.6ghz is a bottleneck so im running mine @4ghz now so i'd say just stick to one 4850 for now and then just later buy a single 4890 or GTX280. If you want to impress your mates with a high 3dmark06 score then get another 4850 for me i went from 14k to 21k with and extra 4850.
m
l
September 27, 2009 3:21:14 PM

5 years? Thats pretty much a long time and i m sure within just 2year dx11 will be pretty much applied in the market if dx11 really does improve performance and support all those Tessellation and Havoc and direct compute 11 etc these kinds of things is adopted by the game developer. if that happens u wil see a lot of dx11 games and those dx11 cards will have a performance edge over the current dx10/10.1 cards. there is nothing called future proof in the "pc world" especially if i want to be concrete in "pc gaming world". there's always something better in the corner but i think if u really wanna hold ur pc that long u should get the latest tech with good amount of raw power for that pc. And i will suggest no less than a 5850 and that will pretty much last about 2years or even more for highest quality gaming in that resolution. But u cant tell what games will be launched within 2years how much power it will need. but from the looks i will say u will be pretty much future proof for 2+years with a 5850 in 1440 resolution as dx11 tends to be in the market for atleast 3 more years from now in my opinion(just a guess). So even if dx11 things hits in the market u can play it in highest settings. So i will say u go for a 5850. and maybe later if u have some money when 5850 drops in price hugely after 2years and u may decide to get another 5850 u can crossfire it anytime.
m
l
September 27, 2009 11:03:17 PM

yeah i see what your saying but problem is that i got a 4850 not to long ago and now i dont want to waste 300 bucks on another card, i dont even want to waste another 120 for the 4850 cuz now thinking about it i would pay 280 for both cards and i could of just added a bit more and got the 5 series but i didint kno about them at the time i bought my card and i understand that no pc is future proof but like i said as years go buy im not gonna be playing on high settings, i think the most im willing to go is get another 4850 as then ill use both cards while if i get a whole new other card then i just wasted my money on the 4850 cuz i only had it for like a month or so you get what im saying, i mean i had a pentium 4 2.8ghz 2gb of ram and a 7600gs 512mb graphic card and i was able to play left 4 dead on all low settings at 12 something res. but after they updated it with the survival mode and changed some things it then slowed down. But i think for my use and casual gaming i will be good with my pc and i dont mean gaming as in getting the new games that come out i still play older ones that have great game play like counter strike source and day of defeat, but if something ill just get another 4850 or nothing at all depends how i feel. lol but thanks for all ur opinions
m
l
September 28, 2009 1:31:02 AM

Are you having problems right now running a single 4850? Are u not satisfied with a single 4850? If the answer is no then i will say why upgrade right now? Upgrade it when u feel u need it when the game started to run slow or u r not satisfied with the graphics settings u can turn on from game settings. It is the best thing to do. At that time even if u consider buying another 4850 u will see u would get them at cheaper price usually thats what happen-price drops of similar performing cards when new cards with new tech takes out its place. I think at 1440 resolution a 4850 is more than enough to run most of the games at highest possible settings right now. So dont worry about upgrading right now. U have paid for ur 4850. take out as many juices as u can from ur 4850 before droping money to another one.
m
l
September 28, 2009 1:41:16 AM

yeah well said, and the card works fine but i thought for like mmorpg and games like that i thought multi gpu works better, but i dont need another card right now i mean i would pick it up whenever i have extra cash but if that takes a while than i might as well pick one card up thats better. So for now ill stick with one 4850 but another thing is i dont like to upgrade my pc like every 2 years or less u know like buy a graphic card and stuff like that i usually get the stuff first and then just keep my pc until games start to work slow, cuz i dont dump money into my pc to make it better as im a highschool student :)  so dont have to much to spend but ill see if i wont get a 4850 soon then i prolly wont get it at all. problem is i got nothing to do with my 4850 as only my pc has pci e 2.0 so if i get a new card this one is useless unless i can crossfire 2 diff cards but i heard that does not work to well. And i will get a bigger monitor over christmas prolly a 23in or above with 1920x1080 res so wouldnt 2 4850 be good for that ?
m
l
September 28, 2009 1:44:52 AM

The only reason i said to go for a new 5x series cards is because if ever dx11 becomes industry average then a dx11 card will run games smoothly than a dx10 cards(atleast thats what i heard right now; they are not tested officially) and from the early benchmark i can see a 5850 is probably better than 2x 4850 in terms of raw power as it beats gtx285.
m
l
September 28, 2009 1:49:07 AM

if u r going for a 1920 resolution monitor then definately a single 4850 wont hold up very long. That is a high resolution which requires lots of gpu power. Yes at that time maybe u will consider getting another 4850 if u see u r not satisfied with the game experience
m
l
September 28, 2009 3:40:28 AM

k thanks maybe someday ill get the 5850 and how much is it ?
m
l
September 28, 2009 7:18:41 AM

The rumor is it will be around $250 but u can expect to drop it after the gt300 series hits the market and nvidia can bring something closer around the 5850- the price will drop at that point
m
l
October 3, 2009 2:18:33 AM

oh man the 4850 is now 100 bucks at mircocenter, its still on my mind wheather i should get it or not ahhhh!!!! dont know what to do.
m
l
October 3, 2009 2:19:53 AM

I'm going to be buying 2 5850's to replace my 4870x2. I don't think I can afford 2 5870's so 2 5850's will have to do lol, besides I only play at 1920x1080.
m
l
October 3, 2009 2:21:46 AM

also i read that both pci 2.0 slots must run the 2 cards at 16x to get the full bandwith and capabilities of the card, my motherboard is a gigabyte ma ga 790x ud4p does that board support it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 4:02:52 AM

Nah, that's really not necessary. I have the same board, but I can't remember what it goes to for Crossfire. Do you Know? If it is 8x 8x that is plenty, but if it is less, it might start hurting a little.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 4:05:22 AM

Actually, I don't have that board but the link I saw seemed to imply 8x 8x. If so, that is plenty since those are 8x 2.0, which is equivalent to 16x 1.0 and plenty for these older cards (at least).
m
l
October 3, 2009 1:52:08 PM

yeah when i looked at the specs it said 1 2.0 x16 and the other one was 1 2.0 x 8 so im guessing if i put them in crossfire they would run at 8x
m
l
October 4, 2009 3:07:00 AM

anyways i got a 23in monitor thats 1920x1080 res maybe after this ill get another card but highly doubt it because ima get a keyboard and then another card :) 
m
l
!