RAM upgrade changes IP and Kills sound

I am attempting to upgrade my computer from 2gb to 4 gb of Kingston DDR2 PC26400 RAM. Whenever i install the 2x2gb of new RAM, the IP address is changed, and the sound will not work. The RAM is recognized, and windows 7 boots up fine, but it wont connect to internet and all the sound is full of static, if there is any. Specs:
P5NSLI motherboard
2x1gb Supertalent RAM
320 gb HD
Windows 7 64 bit
XFX HD 5870 graphics card

All i want to do is upgrade the RAM and have the computer work, any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade kills sound
  1. Installing replacement RAM will not change your IP address or disable your sound, something else happened. Your computer booted into Windows, so the RAM passed POST.
    -- For sound, you may want to re-install the drivers, or see if the ASUS has posted updated drivers on the web.
    -- Your network IP address can usually be reset with the computer on by disconnecting power to the MODEM and to the router for about a minute, then reconnecting power to the MODEM, waiting for all the lights to illuminate, and then reconnecting power to the router.
    -- You should test the RAM using memtest86+ (the bootable CD image file about 2/3 down the page) to verify that it is error-free. If it is not error-free, you should return it for replacement.
  2. Well, i would agree with you that my 2 problems would not be caused by inputting new RAM, but, those are the problems i am having, and the problem goes away with the old RAM. From what i can tell, the RAM is just not compatible. Oh well.
  3. I agree it is very strange. Choose your upgrade RAM from the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for your motherboard - it should be in the manual or on the manufacturer's website. Check it with memtest86+ to ensure it is error-free.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Windows 7 RAM Computer Motherboards