Sign in with
Your question

Usb2 and external hard drive

Last response: in Motherboards
February 23, 2010 11:29:43 PM

I currently have an Acer 8735G laptop with a C2D 6600 and 4gb of ram. When I hook an external hard drive to the USB port and start a transfer from the external to the computer, the transfer freezes. It gets to different stages in the transfer, but always winds up freezing causing a reboot. The only thing I can do is reboot. I have tried this with several USB drives and flash drives, all do the same thing. I can write to the external but not read large files. Small files <20 meg, seem to go alright. I have updated chipset drivers, no difference. If I go to device manager and disable the enhanced USB controller, the transfer will work, I am running Win 7 64bit. Any ideas ?

Thanks
February 24, 2010 12:20:38 AM

As to why, sure sounds like a driver bug or something like that. As to what to do, it sounds like you have solved it. Do you notice any other difference with the enhanced USB controller disabled?
m
l
February 24, 2010 12:40:24 AM

I didn't really solve it. When I disable the enhanced USB controller the transfer works, but it is really slow. Definitely not running a USB2 speeds. 700 meg transfer took about 15 minutes. Any ideas on how to begin to narrow it down
m
l
February 24, 2010 12:44:16 AM

Not me, sorry. I'm an XP/linux, asus guy, and I don't have time to research it tonight.
m
l
!