2 monitors with a laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
May 18, 2004 6:48:52 PM

Hi folks,

Just as I can install a second VGA card in my desktop,
and get a second monitor screen, is there a similar
product / mechanism available for laptops?

thanks,
-Farad.

More about : monitors laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
May 18, 2004 9:12:22 PM

"Farad S" <fsunaval@nospam.cisco.com> wrote in news:1084917093.576079@sj-
nntpcache-3:

> Hi folks,
>
> Just as I can install a second VGA card in my desktop,
> and get a second monitor screen, is there a similar
> product / mechanism available for laptops?

look for a laptop with VGA out and a decent video card.... most $1500+
notebooks have them.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2004 2:42:23 AM

"Farad S" <fsunaval@nospam.cisco.com> wrote
> Just as I can install a second VGA card in my desktop,
> and get a second monitor screen, is there a similar
> product / mechanism available for laptops?

Yes. In fact, you can drive a quad monitor setup from your
laptop, if you like:

http://www.digitaltigers.com/sidecar.shtml

Other external video solutions for laptops are listed here:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/products.asp#Multi...

Note: some of these solutions are analog, and some are
DVI (digital). If you want an external monitor to look as
sharp as your LCD display, you should select a DVI video
solution for your laptop and pair it with a DVI-capable
LCD display. (Most of the built-in video output jacks
on laptops are analog, which is why many owners of these
laptops purchase PC-Card video solutions -- like the ones
linked to above -- anyway.)
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2004 4:11:57 AM

"Farad S" <fsunaval@nospam.cisco.com> wrote in news:1084917093.576079@sj-
nntpcache-3:

> Hi folks,
>
> Just as I can install a second VGA card in my desktop,
> and get a second monitor screen, is there a similar
> product / mechanism available for laptops?

Currently most (if not all) mobile video chips support secondary VGA out
put and you can extend your display to second monitor either natively in
Windows XP or with the help of special software from video chip vendor.
Also, most of these chips have TV-out but not all laptops expose it. Some
support it only in docking station.
But if that's not enough, you can plugin PCMCIA video card and add another
display that way. Don't expect anything 3d or what-not with it - it's
mostly for presntations. Margi is known to make such card:
http://www.margi.com/products/prod_dtg.htm
This solution is good for old laptops that do not have secondary VGA out.
We used this card with Compaq Armada M800 to demo application which is
typically run on desktop with dual-head video card.

Alexei
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2004 5:39:47 AM

The IBM t41 does that by default.. (as do the t30's i believe)
just check the specs on whatever laptop you're looking at. Mine will use
the vga out as an extended windows desktop on a monitor..

I'm lovin it.

Aaron

"Farad S" <fsunaval@nospam.cisco.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> Just as I can install a second VGA card in my desktop,
> and get a second monitor screen, is there a similar
> product / mechanism available for laptops?
>

> thanks,
> -Farad.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2004 5:39:48 AM

Aaron Propst wrote
> "Farad S" <fsunaval@nospam.cisco.com> wrote
> > Just as I can install a second VGA card in my desktop,
> > and get a second monitor screen, is there a similar
> > product / mechanism available for laptops?
> The IBM t41 does that by default.. (as do the t30's i believe)

Neither the T41, nor the T30, has a DVI port built-in.
To get DVI output on a T41 or a T30, a Thinkpad port
replicator must be used:
http://stuff.silverorange.com/archives/2004/may/ibmthin...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2004 11:19:35 AM

the guy didn't ask for a DVI port.. just to do a second monitor..
which both those laptops can do out of the box.
(doin it on this very puter at this very moment... actually)

maybe you're thinking of 2 monitors?
I'm referring to using the laptop's lcd, and an external monitor, each
displaying different desktops.

"Chris Allen" <callen@efn.org> wrote in message
> Aaron Propst wrote
> > "Farad S" <fsunaval@nospam.cisco.com> wrote
> > > Just as I can install a second VGA card in my desktop,
> > > and get a second monitor screen, is there a similar
> > > product / mechanism available for laptops?
> > The IBM t41 does that by default.. (as do the t30's i believe)
>
> Neither the T41, nor the T30, has a DVI port built-in.
> To get DVI output on a T41 or a T30, a Thinkpad port
> replicator must be used:
> http://stuff.silverorange.com/archives/2004/may/ibmthin...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2004 4:19:29 PM

Thank you all for the replies.

Sorry for not making it explicit but I was referring to using 2 external
monitors.
I have a T40 with a dock.
Did'nt know that the VGA output and the output from the
DVI port could actually give me two independent monitors
and stretch applications across the two displays.

I found the last posting by Chris below especially useful.
thanks again.
-Farad.

!