mmccormick

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
i dropped my laptop and it landed on its side where the fan is I saw a spark, then all my desktop icons disappeared. I couldnt turn it off but i took the battery out then rebooted and received an error message " Please turn your system off and check CPU fan. Any idea what cost would be involved in fixing this problem? Level of difficulty to fix?

Well it sounds like that when you dropped it that your CPU fan possibly got dislodged from its proper place thus it is not cooling the CPU properly and all modern CPUs (from say 2003+) have a saftey feature to shut off when it reaches a thermal threshold.

What you can do if you ware willing to try it yourself is look on the back near where the vent for the fan is and find the screws.It should have some screws with a panel.

Take the screws off then open the panel. You should see the fan on top of the CPU, or possibly lopsided due to the drop.

My best suggestion is to get your model and either look up a guide or if you still have a warranty talk to your OEM. If you don't have a warranty then I would suggest a expert rather than you trying to do it yourself.

If you want I can find a guide for your laptop, but need the model number.