LGA1366 not Xfire/SLi Dual Slots friendly?

Zijn

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Howdy ;)

Im sure that there are many hardcore gamers out there, but not as enthusiastic to go over the top when it comes to their gaming rigs. The majority of GPU cards are DUAL slot (as people demand more n everyone LOVES all that eye candy :kaola: :love: )and not everyone can afford to watercool their GPU/'s, so I was just wondering why is it that the majority of LGA1366 58x's PCI-E slots are so close :??: ? (E.g. 16x Slot, 1x slot, 16x Slot)

Check Majority: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=5&subid=1283

AIR FLOW KILLERS!! :non:

But when it comes to the LGA1156 P55 chipset, (as i have seen) the 16x PCI-E slots are two spaces away allowing a space for another component to be added or more importantly, allowing your GPU's to breath.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=5&subid=1693

Because this is a factor that is bugging me still today with my i7, SLi 275 as one of them is getting slightly choked :na: (hopefully get some fermi's and watercool them :whistle: :kaola: )

Maybe they have learnt from their mistakes?
Maybe they think case cooling will be efficient?
Maybe 1156 will take the lead from 1366 as gaming mainboards? (if they added triple channel ;) :D )

Whats your opinion?

Zijn :hello:

inquartata

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong but the p55 boards have the second pci-e running at only 8x I believe. It wont matter of course. Not yet anyway. Maybe when the next generation ati cards come. Forget about Fermi. Looks like it will be a huge disappointment. =(

Zijn

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
no no your are totally correct but i heard about the latest MSI (MSI Big bang Fuzion (Lucid Hydra)) you can actually set the 2nd slot to 8x or 16x! Not Bad EY :D ;)

but that is some MAJOR dollar :(

ATI is mopping the floor with Nvidia.. Fermi looks epic on paper n hopefully they can deliver :)

Probably best to wait for the cards to arrive.. settle.. get reviewed an look at the 2nd Gen THEN might build a new pc :) :love: