Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Overclocking temps

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 17, 2011 6:10:03 PM

Hey just had a quick question for everybody. I was wondering how my 2600k's temps are doing. I overclocked it over a month ago and its been amazing. I can still go more for sure but for now i wanna play it safe. I have it at 4.3 ghz at 1.260 volts with an h60 with 2 fans drawing air in from the outside. Thermal radar has been telling me anywhere from 28c to 34c idle and doesn't go above 50c for the cpu or the vcore. I've used aida 64 when i did the overclock and it stayed on working around 65-70c on the stress test. I used metro 2033 to get those lower temps just now cause its a realistic test for me at least. Games are the hardest I'm gonna push my computer and I've read so many different opinions on this subject I just wanna hear a straight answer from someone. It would be a big help and stop me from wondering if everything's all good. Thank you!

More about : overclocking temps

November 18, 2011 4:32:51 AM

you just want to know if your temps are ok? the consensus would say 70 is the highest you want to be hitting. the chip can handle higher temps, but you start getting into degradation area. not sure if that was your entire question or not.
Score
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 18, 2011 10:54:44 AM

70 C is at the top of the acceptable range for the Intel CPU's.
Score
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2011 11:10:00 AM

The recommended orientation of the H60, dumping the heat waste inside the case, should only be done where you have good ventillation pulling the heat from the case. The Antec H20 620 exhausts the heat and, IMHO, is a much better design.

When you exceed 50 C you (roughly) cut down your processor's life in half. If MTBF is 100,000 hrs at 30 C it goes down to 50,000 hrs at 50 C.

Your standard overclocking of 4.3 GHz should not overstress your processor as that chip can be OC'd to 4.9 GHz & above. Stressing it with burn in software or games on a constant basis may prove troublesome.

My advice is to crank up your components to test their tollerances; but thereafter use the lowest overclock speed that produces acceptible results for your games (or other apps). This goes for CPU and GPU. Most (over 90%) of apps don't even need OC'ing due to the native power of processors.

I pushed my CPU, a i5 2500K, to 4.8 GHz for a month and it ran stable and cool. However, since then I have declocked it to its native speed (3.3 GHz with turbo 3.7 GHz) to preserve its longevity. Sprinters burn out by the age of 30, marathon runners are competative into their 40's.
Score
November 18, 2011 10:45:42 PM

I concur with jsc keep it below 70 while really juicing it and you'll be fine, however when chililn let that bad boy come down to below 45-50. Really though when not running intensive tasks it should be in the 30-35 range
Score
a c 171 K Overclocking
November 19, 2011 12:34:30 AM

chesteracorgi said:
When you exceed 50 C you (roughly) cut down your processor's life in half. If MTBF is 100,000 hrs at 30 C it goes down to 50,000 hrs at 50 C.

30 hrs a week x 52 weeks x 32 years = 49,920 hours ..... don't think I'm gonna worry about it.

Score

Best solution

a c 171 K Overclocking
November 19, 2011 12:44:06 AM

waliber said:
Hey just had a quick question for everybody. I was wondering how my 2600k's temps are doing. I overclocked it over a month ago and its been amazing. I can still go more for sure but for now i wanna play it safe. I have it at 4.3 ghz at 1.260 volts with an h60 with 2 fans drawing air in from the outside. Thermal radar has been telling me anywhere from 28c to 34c idle and doesn't go above 50c for the cpu or the vcore. I've used aida 64 when i did the overclock and it stayed on working around 65-70c on the stress test. I used metro 2033 to get those lower temps just now cause its a realistic test for me at least. Games are the hardest I'm gonna push my computer and I've read so many different opinions on this subject I just wanna hear a straight answer from someone. It would be a big help and stop me from wondering if everything's all good. Thank you!

If ya OC your CPU for usage rather than benchmarking records, it will still fall back to its stock speeds when not being stressed. This means no need to play with OC settings as the CPU will act as stock when doing normal apps and only go up to the high OC's when demand is there.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

With the 2600k and a top end cooler I'd go to 4.6 GHz for an "every day boot" and then set up an "extreme gaming boot" (EGB)using the Profiles feature on any enthusiast MoBo BIOS. For the EGB, I'd turn off hyperthreading and ya can prolly go to 4.8 or 5.0 depending on how lucky ya get. With a top end cooler, ya should be in the low 50s up to about 4.3GHz ....4.6 Ghz will take ya to mid 60's ...... 4.8 will likely push ya into the mid 70's ..... once ya turn off HT tho, ya shud drop 7-10C. Let the normal boot be the default and then use the EGB only when ya runnin something demanding.

The H60 though will likely leave ya 5 - 8 C higher

January 7, 2012 10:15:41 PM

Best answer selected by Waliber.
Score
January 7, 2012 10:21:00 PM

I'm sorry i thought no one responded to this lol must have missed it in my mail but I have to say thank you all! my processor's been awesome i have it at 4.2 with ht off and i very good temps I idle at 34c and generally stay under 60 unless a game works it to 62ish. i tested it out one day I can get 4.8 but it overheated so when i get real watercooling ill do that. You all were very helpful thank you.
Score
January 8, 2012 11:52:10 PM

This means no need to play with OC settings as the CPU will act as stock when doing normal apps and only go up to the high OC's when demand is there.
Score
!