A little confusion about PSU

perplexahedron

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hello gurus,
This is a continuation of my previous thread in HDD Storage section entitled 'Is my hard disk dying' as the culprit was the PSU for all the anomalies in my pc's behaviour.
I've a Corsair CX500 V2 (bought only a week ago, so fairly new ) power supply. With it, only the fans spin ( of cpu, graphic card, chassis) including that of the psu also but nothing more happened. I mean no post no boot nothing. But with a spare psu i had lying around everything worked like before, no issues at all.
It clearly indicates that the corsair psu has fried or gone bad.
So my question is, is it normal for a psu to not work properly i.e. inability to power up system yet being able to spin the fans of system including its own also?
Thanks

I've had that happen once. I believe it was caused by a power surge from the outlet. My PSU just died while I was away from home. Forgot to unplug the system unfortunately. I noticed the same thing as you; it's outputting power to low wattage components but refuses to run the PC. I believe the circuitry is simply damaged and it cannot supply enough juice... You should try and return it since it's new.

perplexahedron

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Unfortunately i'm from India and can't initiate the rma process from their website as the cost involved in shipping the product to them would be way higher than the product itself so i'd be better off let the dealer do the backstage things.
And sometimes i think is the whole CX series famous for such issues? 'cause i've recently seen many people having problems with this series while googling the net.