• Disk Management
  • Explorer
  • Partition
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 30, 2011 6:11:43 PM

Hello,
Windows 7 64 bit home premium

I just used Acronis Disk Director to re-size partitions.

After completion (with errors) the drive shows the correct capacity a free space in Disk Management (and in Acronis Disk Director)(209.6 GB with 152.0 GB free , however, Explorer shows 57.6 GB with 976 MB free. This is the old size before the partition re-sizing. I ran CHKDSK which fixed some errors but did not change the partition sizes.

Also, ff I right click on the volume in the upper pane of Disk Management, it shows the smaller size while the partition map in the lower pane shows the larger size.

More about : disk management shows partition sizes explorer

a c 415 G Storage
June 30, 2011 6:18:59 PM

Have you rebooted? Explorer might be using a cached value.
m
l
June 30, 2011 6:29:39 PM

what errors did acronis have?
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2011 10:06:05 PM

sminlal said:
Have you rebooted? Explorer might be using a cached value.

More than once. Also CHKDSK
m
l
July 11, 2011 10:07:09 PM

Best answer selected by semloh99.
m
l
July 11, 2011 10:10:33 PM

Quote:
you can try to contact Acronis support team for help:
http://www.acronis.com.sg/support/contact-us.html

Excellent suggestion. I did contact Acronis and they were very helpful It took 3 remote access sessions and a couple of phone calls but the problem was eventually solved by a sequence of running CHKDSK, resizing the partition in Acronis to match what Explorer thought it was. Rebooting, with another CHKDSK and then resizing to the desired size. Everything was then in agreement.
m
l
February 23, 2014 10:09:25 PM

This worked for me, to reconcile the different sizes for my C drive size showing in disk management and windows explorer disk properties (on Windows 7):

http://blog.jstudios.us/post/2010/07/02/I-Expanded-the-...

I did a right-click on the cmd console option to do this as administrator, but otherwise as the article says:

"At a command prompt you need to enter the following:

C:\ > DISKPART
DISKPART> List Volume
DISKPART> select volume # (this is the number of the volume listed by the above ‘List Volume’ command)
DISKPART> extend filesystem
DISKPART> exit

Now Windows Explorer shows the new expanded size of the disk."
m
l
September 11, 2015 3:43:26 PM

This is the right resolution. CHKDSK does not work LOL.

Mark Foote said:
This worked for me, to reconcile the different sizes for my C drive size showing in disk management and windows explorer disk properties (on Windows 7):

http://blog.jstudios.us/post/2010/07/02/I-Expanded-the-...

I did a right-click on the cmd console option to do this as administrator, but otherwise as the article says:

"At a command prompt you need to enter the following:

C:\ > DISKPART
DISKPART> List Volume
DISKPART> select volume # (this is the number of the volume listed by the above ‘List Volume’ command)
DISKPART> extend filesystem
DISKPART> exit

Now Windows Explorer shows the new expanded size of the disk."

m
l