Default resolution XFX 4870 512mb?

davylove21

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
So yeah, default resolution of a 4870? I've looked online and can't find it and it isn't in any documentation.

I ask because I can't get a new system to boot, but have only tried booting it with 15" TFT's (1024 x 768) and my HDTV (unknown over vga). I was wondering if the card is trying to boot me at a higher res, thus displaying nothing on the screen.

Any help = ultimate honour - I'm not getting much love today.

Disconnect the HDTV and use only an LCD. The vid card is designed to boot up fine that way.

Then get into Catalyst or whatever, and establish the TFT as your primary display.

Then try booting up with both attached. If that fails, swap cables to the opposite connector at the vid card, and repeat the entire process, ie, remove the HDTV etc

davylove21

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Thanks a lot, I was worried that might be the case - no easy way out for me! Must be faulty MoBo or CPU then, cheers for the help.

davylove21

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Sorry didn't see your post there boxer - System isn't actually booting, I was just making sure I hadn't totally noobed, but thanks all the same!

davylove21

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
No I haven't actually although I could, I have just tried my old 4670 though and still no display or beeps or anything, so I guess it must be the MoBo or CPU, everything else has been tested - I hate computers sometimes!

davylove21

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I've run another system from the PSU (OCZ StealthXStream 600W) so I believe it to be fine although I have no way of testing the output of the CPU connectors (the two yellow and black four pin connectors I guess?). When I say all else has been tested I mean to say in another system, not technically with memtest, wattage guides etc.

My new build
ASUS M4A77TD Pro
Phenom II X2 550
XFX 4870 512mb
Crucial DDR3 1333mhz 2GB (1 stick)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Some LG IDE disk drive

I've even breadboarded the system with bare minimum components and still - no beeps, no POST - Just empty dreams of seeing a BIOS screen. I'll dance naked upon the parapets if it will just show me some 1980's text!

davylove21

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Ah - think I may have a dead board - at first build I plugged a floppy drive connector from the PSU into a set of fan pins on the mobo - I probably killed the board! Oh well - still RMA it - thanks for the help anyway people.

TRENDING THREADS