New build up and running

lonema

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Just assembled my 2nd build and got it up and running smoothly with Windows 7 RC. This one is for my daughter and I worked hard to keep the price down as a challenge to myself (total cost was $435 after rebates and shipping).

Case: Cooler Master Elite 341 RC-341C-KKN1-GP microATX
2nd Case Fan: Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm
Mobo: Biostar TA790GXE AMD 790GZ microATX
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2 x 2GB DDR 1066
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W
Disk: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
DVD: LITE-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS324-08
GPU: BIOSTAR VA4673NH51 Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3

The system is for school work and some video/photo work. She does play WoW once in a while so I added a 4670 which I picked up for $50.
I plan to O/C it, more as a fun project for me though. I'm using the stock cooler for now and will see how that holds up.

Does anyone have any good strategies for the cable management, especially in a microATX case? The main problem I have is with all the PSU cables. I tried to neatly gather up all the unused ones with some ties and stuff the bundle in the unused 3.5" bay area, but it still doesn't look very good.

G

Sounds like a nice build. Here is what i did for wire management in one of my current builds.

G

Thanks, The whole case is custom from the feet to the revised rubber mounted HDD location. With custom paint and case mod's. Was just showing the wire management. This case is a silverstone TJ08. :sweat: Thanks again

lonema

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for posting the picture. You did a great job with the cables - and I like the color of your case. Now I feel inspired to clean up my cabling tomorrow!!

http://www.irfanview.com/
so you dont have to post huge hi-res pictures .

Nice job

I have a TJ08 and its good case . Taking the 3.5 inch drive cages out has made a lot of room available . I have a floppy drive and card reader in mine , as well as a scythe ninja cooler which basically mean air molecules have a hard time fitting into the free spaces .

How have you mounted the hard drive?

G

Thanks, I used Antec hardware. Drilled holes from the bottom of the case and inserted the same rubber mounts they use in the P180 case then attached the hdd.

G

Thanks, I was not sure of the color at first but when i was done i was happy with it. Good luck on yours. Let us know how it goes.

G

Also if you do not want to bundle the PSU wires try going a longer route. Keep behind are toward the corners in the front of the case. Look for places to run them like below the fan are around and under drive bays. :D
The case above in the post is the same layout as the one you have. Here is a pic of the same case you have i did earlier this year.

The fan header hanging from the hdd/floppy bay is for the side fan. ;)

lonema

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Out of curiosity, what cpu cooler do you have in this build (the one using the same case I have)?

I'll post my pics once I rework my wiring.

lonema

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Found time to clean up my cables a little this weekend. See pics below. Still using the stock cooler but I'm planning to swap that out shortly.

AMS00017.jpg

AMS00020.jpg

AMS00022.jpg

AMS00023.jpg

lonema

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks. It took me longer to explain to my wife *why* I wanted neat cables than to do it (I'm an engineer so she should know by now).

Kudos to the inventor of cable ties :)