Sign in with
Your question

Compaq r4000 hard drive

Last response: in Storage
June 30, 2011 7:26:39 PM

Hello,
1 of my fans quit working and now when I turn on computer I get Windows Boot Manager it says usb external hard drive unhooked while running, I did have 1 hooked up but I shut down before unpluging so I hooked it back up and restarted computer and same thing came up it also says bad HDD or Cd Rom, I have done the Bios HDD self test and said OK I also tryed Booting fron my Repair Disk all no luck Is it HDD ? thanks Jeff
a c 104 G Storage
June 30, 2011 8:20:31 PM

Hi there & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

What kind of computer do you have, and what hardware devices are connected to it?

Do a little more troubleshooting and report the results back

Go into the BIOS and on the CMOS page note what Devices it recognizes as being attached

Then with Windows booted up, go to the Disk Management snapin and in the lower graphical area note what Disks the OS recognizes there.
If there are several rows, be as exacting as possible in reporting what is listed.

That way someone will be able to help with this enigma.
July 1, 2011 10:31:52 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

What kind of computer do you have, and what hardware devices are connected to it?

Do a little more troubleshooting and report the results back

Go into the BIOS and on the CMOS page note what Devices it recognizes as being attached

Then with Windows booted up, go to the Disk Management snapin and in the lower graphical area note what Disks the OS recognizes there.
If there are several rows, be as exacting as possible in reporting what is listed.

That way someone will be able to help with this enigma.

I have a 2005 HP Compaq R 4000 Running Windows 7
I can get to BIOS from F10 and I do not see CMOS
I have done the HDD self test and it says OK
It will not BOOT
I get Windows Boot Manager
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
July 1, 2011 10:00:45 PM

jjolly said:
I have a 2005 HP Compaq R 4000 Running Windows 7
I can get to BIOS from F10 and I do not see CMOS
I have done the HDD self test and it says OK
It will not BOOT
I get Windows Boot Manager

Hi Jeff,

I have searched up and down, and can't find images of your BIOS pages. If you have a URL to them, that'd be great!
Go into your BIOS F10, and on one of the pages, it will say IDE devices and list what hardware it recognizes, like your HDD, your CD-ROM.
Also it will show you the Boot Priority.

If the external USB is for some reason is even listed, or listed first, make the change so your regular internal HDD is listed first in the Boot Priority.
Then F10, Exit Save changes. Reboot and see if that works. If it does, then go to Disk Management and list what it says in the lower graphical area.

If not, F10 to get back into the BIOS, select Exit - Load Setup Defaults, then F9, F10 Exit Save Changes.
That will set the BIOS back to square 1, where it has never seen the external USB drive.

Has this USB external drive been hooked up to a different computer, like a desktop with a RAID configuration? Or connected to some elses computer that could be using Dynamic Drives rather than Basic simple drives?

July 4, 2011 11:17:04 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi Jeff,

I have searched up and down, and can't find images of your BIOS pages. If you have a URL to them, that'd be great!
Go into your BIOS F10, and on one of the pages, it will say IDE devices and list what hardware it recognizes, like your HDD, your CD-ROM.
Also it will show you the Boot Priority.

If the external USB is for some reason is even listed, or listed first, make the change so your regular internal HDD is listed first in the Boot Priority.
Then F10, Exit Save changes. Reboot and see if that works. If it does, then go to Disk Management and list what it says in the lower graphical area.

If not, F10 to get back into the BIOS, select Exit - Load Setup Defaults, then F9, F10 Exit Save Changes.
That will set the BIOS back to square 1, where it has never seen the external USB drive.

Has this USB external drive been hooked up to a different computer, like a desktop with a RAID configuration? Or connected to some elses computer that could be using Dynamic Drives rather than Basic simple drives?

This is the message I get
Windows has encountered a prolbem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
This error can be caused by unpluging a removable storage device such as a external USB drive while the device is in use, orby faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
If you continue to recive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.
Satus: 0xc00000e9
Info An unexpected I/O error has occurred

With F10 I see

Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility
My options are
Main,Security,Advanced Tools,Exit
I have not found IDE divices
I have tryed booting from repair disk and HDD no luck
under Tools I have tryed HDD slef test and it said pass on both short and long test
under Main I see
system time
system date
notebook model
system board id
processer type
processer speed
system menory
BIOS version F.1a
KBC verison 42.3A
Serial number
UUID number

thats all that is under Main

July 4, 2011 11:23:59 AM

Now when I changed Boot Order it says A disk read error occured
when I set Boot order to HDD
a c 104 G Storage
July 4, 2011 3:25:37 PM

jjolly said:
Now when I changed Boot Order it says A disk read error occured
when I set Boot order to HDD

Hi Jeff,
I assume you are running Win-XP?

Do you have any USB devices connected to your laptop, like a USB mouse or USB printer. If so disconnect them for now. Also remove your CD burner from the laptop temporarily.

Go back into the BIOS and make your regular HDD first in the Boot Order.

Now look for an entry similar to USB devices (enable/disable) If you find that, select disable, to not have any USB device interfere.
Then Boot Up and see if you are successful.

Another thing to try, would be just after the splash screen, click F8 to go the 'Advanced Boot Options' and try 'Last known good".

If you still get the ox00000009 - as reported in an older post on the web, may be a failing HDD.

When finished with this series, the replace the CD, and enable the USB controller in the BIOS
July 4, 2011 3:48:09 PM

Ok will try I am running Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
July 4, 2011 5:06:13 PM

jjolly said:
Ok will try I am running Windows 7

JEff,

If you are running Win-7, even better.

Before trying 'Last known good', do one other thing.

Boot up, just past the Splash screen, F8 to get to 'Advanced Boot Options'
There you have 12 choices, choose 'Repair your Computer'
Will need to put in Usr & Psd, US Keyboard, Language
You should get 'System Recovery" Options
Choose StartUp Repair, which should repair any corrupted system files, BCD & Boot Manager entries,
It goes thru a gamut of repairs and if found, will list them.
Then boot up and see if you are successful.
July 4, 2011 5:44:55 PM

what is the splash screen ? I have tryed F8 from as soon as I turn computer on
a c 104 G Storage
July 4, 2011 7:22:20 PM

jjolly said:
what is the splash screen ? I have tryed F8 from as soon as I turn computer on

The splash screen is the HP initial background you see on your screen, where you would click f10 to go to the BIOS. It remains on screen for 15 seconds. Just after than pause, before the Boot Menu phase begins, you can click F8, to go to Advanced Boot Options.
July 5, 2011 11:45:38 AM

when i push F8 all I get is a beep each time it hit F8
a c 104 G Storage
July 5, 2011 11:57:05 AM

jjolly said:
when i push F8 all I get is a beep each time it hit F8

Just after the Splash sceen disappears, and exactly the time you see 'loading operating system' push it repeatedly to get to 'Advanced Boot Options'
Might also look on the splash screen because sometimes they put the F?? key choice at the bottom for advanced options. Possibly you have to click a Function Key 'n' first to get to F8, rather than the * or number 8. Check the manual.

Most times the computer's manual is online to review, but I haven't been able to locate it for your computer. If the manual tells you where to locate the Online Manual, we might be able to pin some of the subtle little used functions donw.
July 5, 2011 2:18:19 PM

I have the Maintenance and Service
Guide will that help ? I downloaded from HP
July 5, 2011 2:55:15 PM

PDF] Maintenance and Service Guidetim.id.au/.../hp%20pavilion%20zv6000%20compaq%20presario%20r4000. ..Similar- Block all tim.id.au results
Not helpful? You can block tim.id.au results when you're signed in to search.tim.id.au
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Guide. HP Pavilion zv6000 Notebook PC. Compaq Presario R4000 Notebook PC. Document Part Number: 382519-002. July 2005. This guide is a troubleshooting ...

3–22 - 3–23 - 5–33
a c 104 G Storage
July 5, 2011 4:59:12 PM

jjolly said:
PDF] Maintenance and Service Guidetim.id.au/.../hp%20pavilion%20zv6000%20compaq%20presario%20r4000. ..Similar- Block all tim.id.au results
Not helpful? You can block tim.id.au results when you're signed in to search.tim.id.au
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Guide. HP Pavilion zv6000 Notebook PC. Compaq Presario R4000 Notebook PC. Document Part Number: 382519-002. July 2005. This guide is a troubleshooting ...

3–22 - 3–23 - 5–33

I looked through that, thanks. It doesn't show the BIOS pages unfortunately.
Give my thoughts of how to get to the Adv Boot Options a try to see if successful.
July 11, 2011 11:21:21 AM

I have not been able to get to the advanced boot options, do you think it might work with a new HDD
a c 104 G Storage
July 11, 2011 1:01:18 PM

jjolly said:
I have not been able to get to the advanced boot options, do you think it might work with a new HDD

Hi Jeff,

Let's go back and review a couple points. Did this laptop come with Vista or Win-XP installed. How did you get Win-7 placed on the machine? Clean install from Win-XP or upgrade from Vista? How long has it been working properly until this USB problem?
Also do you have the new installation disk available?

HP must have set up the early boot options of the OS differently than the standard Windows boot option sequences.

I went back and reveiwed the Maintenance book, and if you follow the flow chart for boot problems, the flow chart 2.11 "No OS loading" says replace HDD or replace the MB. The sequence of events really suggests the boot manager or boot sector may have become corrupted, rather than a physical problem with the HDD, but correcting it may require re installation of the OS. Your HDD check that came out OK, suggests the physical drive is OK.

The rub is if you upgraded from Vista, the HP recovery disc will have Vista on it, so that would have to be done first, then the upgrade to Win-7. Win-XP requires a clean installation to get to Win-7.

Check on those points and we'll go from there.
July 11, 2011 4:42:52 PM

It came with XP, I got Windows 7 from the Micrsoft Store, I did that in November all worked fine untill it overheated when 1 of the 2 fans stopped, I put on a cooling pad with 2 fans and put the repair disk I made. It started and worked and did not get hot at all, I turned it off and the next time I started it is when I got the message about Windows has encountered a prolbem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
This error can be caused by unpluging a removable storage device such as a external USB drive while the device is in use, orby faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
If you continue to recive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.
a c 104 G Storage
July 11, 2011 5:01:22 PM

jjolly said:
It came with XP, I got Windows 7 from the Micrsoft Store, I did that in November all worked fine untill it overheated when 1 of the 2 fans stopped, I put on a cooling pad with 2 fans and put the repair disk I made. It started and worked and did not get hot at all, I turned it off and the next time I started it is when I got the message about Windows has encountered a prolbem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

If you did a clean installation of Win-7, then you should be able to get to the Windows StartUp Repair applet in the Windows Recovery Environment.

Here's what to try:

Go into you BIOS, and set it to boot from the DVD
Put Win-7 DVD into the DVD reader and reboot
as it loads, press any key to load from DVD

In the Regional settings, put in the language, date & time, keyboard type
Where do you want to Install Windows - choose Repair your Computer (starts the Windows recovery environment)

The 5 System Recovery Options are shown
Choose StartUp Repair and let it run.
It may repair any corrupted boot up files that are preventing you from booting

Worth a try to see if this is a software correctable problem vs a HDD problem
July 11, 2011 5:31:40 PM

It does not show a opperating system, tryed repai and the message Startup Repair cannot repair this computer aotomatically

under view prolbem I get

Prolbem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0
Prolbem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
Prolbem Signature 03: unknown
Prolbem Signature 04: 0
Prolbem Signature 05: unknown
Prolbem Signature 06. 1
Prolbem Signature 07: unknown
OS Verison 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID : 1033
a c 104 G Storage
July 11, 2011 6:50:11 PM

jjolly said:
It does not show a opperating system, tryed repai and the message Startup Repair cannot repair this computer aotomatically

under view prolbem I get

Prolbem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0
Prolbem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
Prolbem Signature 03: unknown
Prolbem Signature 04: 0
Prolbem Signature 05: unknown
Prolbem Signature 06. 1
Prolbem Signature 07: unknown
OS Verison 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID : 1033

Jeff,

Go through the same steps, but this time instead of choosing StartUp Repair, Choose System Restore, pick a restore point before this all happened and see if that will work and if the OS will boot up.
July 11, 2011 8:38:13 PM

message To use Systen Restoreyou must specify whitchWindows instiallation to restore
restart te computer,selectan operatins system when I do there is nothing there, I click on load FDrivers and it says install disk
a c 104 G Storage
July 11, 2011 9:51:45 PM

jjolly said:
message To use Systen Restoreyou must specify whitchWindows instiallation to restore
restart te computer,selectan operatins system when I do there is nothing there, I click on load FDrivers and it says install disk

Hi Jeff,

Well, the next step would be to reinstall Win-7 on the computer.
You can do that using the DVD and as you did last November with a clean installation.
If you have valuable data on the HDD, that has not been backed up, you can Custom install Win-7, and install a new copy of Windows in the Partition that presently has the old Win-7 on it. It will make the older version Windows.old. Then copy your data to a backup location before starting over with a clean installation.

Lot of steps working through this problem!
July 12, 2011 2:20:32 PM

my disc shows Disc 0 Unallocated Space 74.5 Total and 74.5 Free Space

this is in custom install after NEXT I get

Windows isunableto install to the selected location Error 0x80300024
July 12, 2011 2:46:21 PM

I tryed Booting from HDD and this message heeps repeating
Inter UNDI,FXE-2.0 (build 082)
For Realtek RTL8139 (X) 8130/810X
PCI Fast Ethernet Crontroller V2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61 Media test failure,check cable
PXE - M0F Exiting PXE Rom
a c 104 G Storage
July 12, 2011 2:50:42 PM

jjolly said:
I tryed Booting from HDD and this message heeps repeating
Inter UNDI,FXE-2.0 (build 082)
For Realtek RTL8139 (X) 8130/810X
PCI Fast Ethernet Crontroller V2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61 Media test failure,check cable
PXE - M0F Exiting PXE Rom

Which method are you attempting to use? If a clean install, when you get to Custom(Advanced) delete all the partitions, then restart and you should have just a single large partition to work with.
July 12, 2011 2:53:47 PM

in custom I did not have to delete anything it only shows up as Disc 0 Unallocated Space 74.5 Total and 74.5 Free Space when I click next I get Windows is unable to install to the selected location Error 0x80300024
a c 104 G Storage
July 12, 2011 3:39:23 PM

jjolly said:
in custom I did not have to delete anything it only shows up as Disc 0 Unallocated Space 74.5 Total and 74.5 Free Space when I click next I get Windows is unable to install to the selected location Error 0x80300024

When you get to that point of selecting a partition to install Win-7 in, delete all of them, then start over. That will give you just one unallocated partition as if nothing was on it. Is this HDD an 80Gb drive?

If that doesn't work, possibly time for a new HDD, as you had mentioned in your first post here. That's a bummer.
July 12, 2011 3:48:29 PM

I found a 160 gig 7200 for $67.00 or 69.00 does it matter what kind ? Do you know of a better place to get HDD I found 80 gig cost as much as 160
thanks for all the help Jeff
a c 104 G Storage
July 12, 2011 5:26:27 PM

jjolly said:
I found a 160 gig 7200 for $67.00 or 69.00 does it matter what kind ? Do you know of a better place to get HDD I found 80 gig cost as much as 160
thanks for all the help Jeff

A 160 GB 7200 sounds fine. Pull your old one out, and make sure the connections are the same - probably SATA.

Purchased HDD's from Amazon, Buy.com and NewEgg. Make sure it is a New (probably bare drive - no retail packaging or cables, etc) drive and good price. They are all good, Newegg and Amazon have no questions asked return within 30 days.

Hope everything falls together and you're up and running soon.

John
!