Sign in with
Your question

Potential water-cooling build

Last response: in Overclocking
November 18, 2011 8:35:42 AM

Hi all,

I'm moving onto the next phase of my home-build, which is to water-cool it. I've been doing a lot of reading, which has brought me to the water-cooling build I am currently thinking about. So, please have a look and tell me what you think.

My current specs are:

i5-2500K (currently at stock, will OC to circa 4.4GHz once loop is in)
MSI GTX560Ti TwinFrozr II
P8P67-Pro
4GB RAM (will up this to 8GB shortly)
Obsidian 700D enclosure

Due to cost, I'm breaking the water-cooling build into 2 steps.

Step 1:

XSPC RX360 radiator
XSPC RayStorm CPU Waterblock
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay (that can take a Laing pump)
Alphacool VPP655 pump (installed into reservoir, and I think it's powerful enough for the complete build)
3x Gentle Typhoon 1850s
Aerocool Touch 2000 (for fan control, and I quite like the look of it too)

I'll be using clear Tygon tubing (1/2" ID and 5/8" OD) with black anti-coil springs (not sure if they're necessary but I like the look of them against the clear Tygon), and G1/4" compression fittings. Two of those fittings will be angled for installing into the rad...not sure if it's necessary, but I'd rather play it safe.

Step 2:

XSPC RX120 (this will be fitted onto the rear of the enclosure)
2x EK VGA Extreme HF (I plan on getting another 560Ti for SLI. I might get a reference second card so I can use a full-cover waterblock instead)
16x Copper GPU Heatsinks (or 8, if I get a full waterblock for the second card)
2x HF GF460 (for mounting the universal GPU waterblock, will possibly only need 1)
1x Gentle Typhoon 1850

Same tubing, anti-kink measures and fittings...although I have seen fittings that seem to be designed for SLI setups and connect the pipework together for this connection.

My budget is circa £600 for the whole lot.

I think the radiators are enough for the whole set up. I don't plan on OCing the GPUs much...I'll probably 'normalise' them both to the same settings, and I guess it'll be as per what the MSI one is set at. If I had to, I could possibly install a third 120mm radiator on the internal intake fan mount at the bottom of the case. The 700D also has 2 water-cooling grommets for external rads, so that's an option (but not one I'm keen on, to be honest...I'd rather keep it all internal).

Let me know what y'all think.

D.
November 18, 2011 11:43:42 AM

diellur said:
Hi all,

I'm moving onto the next phase of my home-build, which is to water-cool it. I've been doing a lot of reading, which has brought me to the water-cooling build I am currently thinking about. So, please have a look and tell me what you think.

My current specs are:

i5-2500K (currently at stock, will OC to circa 4.4GHz once loop is in)
MSI GTX560Ti TwinFrozr II
P8P67-Pro
4GB RAM (will up this to 8GB shortly)
Obsidian 700D enclosure

Due to cost, I'm breaking the water-cooling build into 2 steps.

Step 1:

XSPC RX360 radiator
XSPC RayStorm CPU Waterblock
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay (that can take a Laing pump)
Alphacool VPP655 pump (installed into reservoir, and I think it's powerful enough for the complete build)
3x Gentle Typhoon 1850s
Aerocool Touch 2000 (for fan control, and I quite like the look of it too)

I'll be using clear Tygon tubing (1/2" ID and 5/8" OD) with black anti-coil springs (not sure if they're necessary but I like the look of them against the clear Tygon), and G1/4" compression fittings. Two of those fittings will be angled for installing into the rad...not sure if it's necessary, but I'd rather play it safe.

Step 2:

XSPC RX120 (this will be fitted onto the rear of the enclosure)
2x EK VGA Extreme HF (I plan on getting another 560Ti for SLI. I might get a reference second card so I can use a full-cover waterblock instead)
16x Copper GPU Heatsinks (or 8, if I get a full waterblock for the second card)
2x HF GF460 (for mounting the universal GPU waterblock, will possibly only need 1)
1x Gentle Typhoon 1850

Same tubing, anti-kink measures and fittings...although I have seen fittings that seem to be designed for SLI setups and connect the pipework together for this connection.

My budget is circa £600 for the whole lot.

I think the radiators are enough for the whole set up. I don't plan on OCing the GPUs much...I'll probably 'normalise' them both to the same settings, and I guess it'll be as per what the MSI one is set at. If I had to, I could possibly install a third 120mm radiator on the internal intake fan mount at the bottom of the case. The 700D also has 2 water-cooling grommets for external rads, so that's an option (but not one I'm keen on, to be honest...I'd rather keep it all internal).

Let me know what y'all think.

D.

You'll need the equivalent of 6x120 rads for a cpu and two gpu's I'd mount one 360 on the back of your case. I'm thinking about getting an EK gpu block but I'm hesitating because of the nickel plating issues.
November 18, 2011 11:53:15 AM

Homeboy2 said:
You'll need the equivalent of 6x120 rads for a cpu and two gpu's I'd mount one 360 on the back of your case. I'm thinking about getting an EK gpu block but I'm hesitating because of the nickel plating issues.

I've been wondering about the radiator capacity, and it's where I could do with some help. From what I've read, the RX360 has a 600W capacity, and the RX120 has about 150W capacity. 2x GTX560Ti's and the CPU amount to approximately 450W heat loading (granted, without an OC) which suggests to me that I would have enough? Pointers needed!
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 18, 2011 12:45:49 PM

You would be correct with this calculation. An RX360 would cover that loop, but consider some good fans (1800rpm/good CFM/good static pressure) to ensure you get the most out of that rad. If you wanted, you can always add additional rad to that loop like a 120 or 140 and help even more, but that's up to you. The 560Ti has abnormally low TDP vs. other cards (170w, per) so this helps a lot.

And you'd be correct that the D5 pump is enough for your build. I run one...it's a beast.
November 18, 2011 7:23:48 PM

Thanks for the input...I'm still feeling my way with this and it helps to know I'm on the right path. Due to part-time study and work, I don't think I'll be putting this together much before the summer, so still time to optimise it all. :) 
!