Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1000-$1500 Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2009 3:28:25 AM

Hello guys I'm not new to the computer scene, overclocking..etc. Going to get a new rig with i7 920 for sure, or I wait for i5 to come out.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: September - October (Worth it waiting for i5, will it be as good as i7 920? Also, worth it waiting for DX11 cards?
BUDGET RANGE: $1000-$1500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies, browsing the net

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca (im in canada), directcanada, ncix, tigerdirect

PARTS PREFERENCES: A monitor that will play 1920x1080, good gaming experience, good overclock with cpu, brand doesnt matter as long as its good

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Depends which cards you guys are suggesting, and depends if waiting for DX11 cards is worth it.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Using antec 900 case right now, I want the new case to be as good as antec 900, so thanks in advance for the help.

More about : 1000 1500 gaming rig

September 6, 2009 3:34:50 AM

Wait for i5 with that budget. i7 is for high end 1.5k+ systems, E\QXXXX is for 1k- systems - the new MB and DDR3 for i7 really bumps up the price. i5 should fill the 1k-1.5k gap nicely.
Related resources
September 6, 2009 3:46:26 AM

dndhatcher said:
Try this thread for parts suggestions:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269620-31-list#t19737...

Why not just get anther antec 900. Even a 300 illusion would be good if you want cheaper.

I was thinking about getting another antec 900, but I'm open to new options, see new things lol there's just so much more options you know what im sayin.

Thanks for the fast replies guys, I'll look into that link, if anyone can post parts here will be appreciated
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 3:53:26 AM

here is a thread with an i7 build 9as well as some cheaper ones
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended...

Look at the antec 300 illusion case - looks like a small antec 1200.

There are a couple other popular ones at the antec 900 price level - i think you will see in those 2 treads. I do think the 900 is the best looking though.
September 6, 2009 4:11:46 AM

Thread is pretty good, I believe I seen it before, it's outdated though, last edit August 16.

a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 4:16:51 AM

overshocks said:
Thread is pretty good, I believe I seen it before, it's outdated though, last edit August 16.

Tecmo is constantly updating the builds. See the note on the second post: Message edited by tecmo34 on 09-02-2009 at 08:03:35 PM
September 6, 2009 6:02:05 AM

Any other suggestions people expert advice :D 
September 6, 2009 7:03:26 AM

Anyone have some info about the upcoming dx11 cards or the i5 cpus

Best solution

September 6, 2009 7:34:53 AM

overshocks said:
Anyone have some info about the upcoming dx11 cards or the i5 cpus

See this: Full review on Core i5 750.
And this: The Lynnfield Preview: Rumblings of Revenge.

For the DX11 cards there's no specific info but for the HD5870 it would be like this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
- HD4870 ----------> - HD5870
800 Shaders ------> 1600 Shaders
800 MHz Core -----> 900 MHz core
256Bit Mem. Int. --> 512Bit Mem. Int.
55nm Mfr. Tech ---> 40nm Mfr Tech
- About 1.7+ Increase in performance AND the new API support ;)  !.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the crappy post but it works :p  .

Regards.
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 7:50:18 AM

No one will have any decent info on the DX 11 cards until after the press conferences on Sept 10th. Probably see the post counts skyrocket with tons of info and conjecture afterward.
September 6, 2009 7:58:25 AM

dndhatcher said:
No one will have any decent info on the DX 11 cards until after the press conferences on Sept 10th. Probably see the post counts skyrocket with tons of info and conjecture afterward.

What exactly do you mean :heink:  ??!!!!
September 6, 2009 8:04:25 AM

dndhatcher said:

can you gimme a link regarding where they hold the press conferences

haha oops i selected the best answer thing

im still lookin for some gaming rig options
September 6, 2009 8:19:47 AM

overshocks said:
haha oops i selected the best answer thing

Thanks :D  , and those info i got from AMD website a couple of weeks ago but don't bother looking for them as it looks like it was something to "Spice" the market then got deleted bad i didn't save it!.

overshocks said:
can you gimme a link regarding where they hold the press conferences

Why would you need it?!! any way i'll look but i can't promise a result.

overshocks said:
im still lookin for some gaming rig options

What exactly are you still seeking?!!

Regards.
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 8:24:52 AM

@psycho - What I mean is what you printed there is unsupported speculation. No official or reliable source has released specifics on the 5870 yet.

First ATI scheduled a big announcement about their dx11 card on 9/10.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-evergreen-DirectX-...

Then Nvidia set up a press conference on the same day.
here - you can get on nvidias press conference webcast.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=116466&p=ir...
September 6, 2009 8:30:50 AM

dndhatcher said:
@psycho - What I mean is what you printed there is unsupported speculation. No official or reliable source has released specifics on the 5870 yet.

Frist ATI said they were shipping their dx11 card on 9/10.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-evergreen-DirectX-...

Then Nvidia set up a press conference on the same day.
here - you can get on nvidias press conference webcast.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=116466&p=ir...

Well, Neither did i. I never said they're 100% Reliable and Official but they are the dominating rumors and I don't expect it to be far from that anyway and if we knew exactly what's is coming out then would be the "Press Conference"`s advantage!!, they're JUST rumors but VERY close to facts.

Thanks for the links by the way.

Regards.
September 6, 2009 8:32:45 AM

Oh, then if nVidia's press conference is in the same day when is their release date for GT3xx?!

Regards.
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2009 8:48:52 AM

psycho sykes said:
Oh, then if nVidia's press conference is in the same day when is their release date for GT3xx?!

Regards.
I think its likely Nvidia is playing catchup. They will probably give an unreasonably rosy estimate of their release date to forestall ATI sales then announce a delay later. But thats just me speculation from watching the news stories roll by.
September 6, 2009 9:03:02 AM

Well i'm not very good at understanding the market techniques but I REALLY REALLY want ATI to beat nVidia as the performance king and stay so for a couple of years!!.

Regards.
September 6, 2009 11:33:28 PM

Ati may beat nvidia this time, but if nvidia have something up it's sleeves against the DX11 cards. If they do, it will be like a "surprise attack" to Ati. If they got nothing Ati will dominate the market share with the DX11 cards. I'm sure there's spies in both companies, so the match will be evenly. Why you think these years, they're the only competitors? Nvidia beating Ati in this period of time, then Ati makes a comeback..so on..

edit: am still looking for people to suggest i7 920 build or i5 750 build (list the parts on newegg or something).. or any other build apparently some guy on a thread posted that he has the i5 750 already..

i want to wait probably until october, but they might jam up the price for i7 920 just for the i5 launch so they get more i5s sold
September 6, 2009 11:37:16 PM

overshocks said:
Ati may beat nvidia this time, but if nvidia have something up it's sleeves against the DX11 cards. If they do, it will be like a "surprise attack" to Ati. If they got nothing Ati will dominate the market share with the DX11 cards. I'm sure there's spies in both companies, so the match will be evenly. Why you think these years, they're the only competitors? Nvidia beating Ati in this period of time, then Ati makes a comeback..so on..

Ummmm..............
September 7, 2009 12:09:21 AM

By the way for any "responsible" (Moderator, tech. etc.) personal reading this I'm receiving numerous E-Mails from "Tom's Hardware" telling me that my answer was selected as best answer for this thread HOWEVER it's "Unanswered" and the E-mails haven't stopped being received over and over (50 times a day, the same e-mail).

For the i5 setup I'll see what I can do.

Regards.
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2009 2:58:46 AM

overshocks said:
edit: am still looking for people to suggest i7 920 build or i5 750 build (list the parts on newegg or something).. or any other build apparently some guy on a thread posted that he has the i5 750 already..

i want to wait probably until october, but they might jam up the price for i7 920 just for the i5 launch so they get more i5s sold
So far I have seen one australian company advertising i5s and p55 motherboards. Apparently frys accidentally had it listed for a day then took it down. Its my understanding Intel has not authorized anyone to sell them yet.
September 7, 2009 5:15:59 AM

It's just too bad I'm in Canada, and usually we get things a little bit slower than the US. I have read articles/reviews that in China the i5s were on the market on August already so that surprised me too lol.

Still lookin for i7 920 build or i5 build or any other build for $1000-1500 range thanks in advance.
September 7, 2009 5:17:00 AM

psycho sykes said:
By the way for any "responsible" (Moderator, tech. etc.) personal reading this I'm receiving numerous E-Mails from "Tom's Hardware" telling me that my answer was selected as best answer for this thread HOWEVER it's "Unanswered" and the E-mails haven't stopped being received over and over (50 times a day, the same e-mail).

For the i5 setup I'll see what I can do.

Regards.

haha sorry it keeps sending you email, i was messin around and accidentally clicked the best answer on ur name..as mentioned above...
September 7, 2009 3:19:59 PM

overshocks said:
haha sorry it keeps sending you email, i was messin around and accidentally clicked the best answer on ur name..as mentioned above...

Don't worry, it's not a big deal as a 1 "vacuum" process for the e-mail a day is enough and I contacted the moderator that has connections with the web developers and they are doing what they can as for some reason i was the selected from Tom's community (over 14m!) for the system to throw most possible errors on me!

1. Those messages about the selection of best answer and when I come here there's NO best answer selected!!
2. The forum for some reason denies me to edit my posts with the regular way and I have to script any colors, style or link myself then edit the post via fast edit, I really really prefer if I use the regular edit.
3. The REGULAR e-mail notification no longer work as if I reply to any thread and it's updated there's no e-mails and the "Enable E-mail notification for this thread" button doesn't work, And the "Enable automatic e-mail notifications" option in "Forum options" is set to "Yes"

Regards.
September 7, 2009 6:54:48 PM

That's a pretty weird and unusual case, some guy was drunk when messing with the system coding
September 7, 2009 7:50:29 PM

Quote:
"overshocks" Wrote:
---------------------------
some guy was drunk when messing with the system coding

Hahaha hohoho hehehe [:jaydeejohn:4]
Wait a minute.............. [:jaydeejohn:4] [:lectrocrew:9]

---------------------------
EDIT: Back to reality, Yes it's pretty weird and i hope someone comes up with a solution soon.
Anyway thanks.

Regards.
September 8, 2009 1:21:19 AM

I have a feeling ati is going to dominate most of the market since nvidia has no real new low/mid but rumors are there going to bring out a single powerful gpu which is going to cost an arm and leg.

512sp, 512bit interface, clock core, memory, shader; (mhz) 800/4600/1800+, 2gig gddr5 memory, 40nm, dx11

(Based on rumors and my opinion, so could be completely false)
September 8, 2009 2:11:26 AM

invisik said:
I have a feeling ati is going to dominate most of the market since nvidia has no real new low/mid but rumors are there going to bring out a single powerful gpu which is going to cost an arm and leg.

512sp, 512bit interface, clock core, memory, shader; (mhz) 800/4600/1800+, 2gig gddr5 memory, 40nm, dx11

(Based on rumors and my opinion, so could be completely false)

Well I don't think anyone will be ready to sacrifice a leg and an arm for a video card that in 3 years would be the lowest mid-range card.
nVidia is the most stupid company I've ever seen come on 400USD for the GTX280 when it was released just doesn't seem right.

However if the rumors are true this card will run as hell! (temps and performance) and I don't think ATI have a card that would compete with it just like what happened with the GTX285 and ATI's HD4890 couldn't do better than GTX275 (what it was supposed to ... ).
This would easily dominate CRYSIS at Enthusiast, 8X AA and 2560X1600 Oh ... that would be awesome, BUT it's not gonna happen!!

Any way I EXTREMELY hope (Again!) that ATI defeat nVidia as Performance king and AMD defeats Intel ($~240~ PII 965 BE vs $~500~ C2Q 9660 -and not even unlocked multi. :fou:  !) so with such price/perf. ratio for for AMD and ATI I realyyyyyyyy want them to make it to the absolute top!!

Sorry for long post and thanks for reading ...

Regards.
September 8, 2009 6:53:48 AM

Um ... Sorry false alarm!!
Ah, Except about microcenter's deal (unfortunately) ... .
September 12, 2009 5:36:55 AM

i always hope amd > nvidia

but amd > intel lol thats a joke right? intel will always be winning. i5 core> everything amd has. dont even need to bring out their older brothers i7 cores for this match lol
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
September 12, 2009 7:40:52 AM

overshocks... I have updated my thread to include an i5 build, which is right at $1,000 pretty much. Take a look at it to see if it fits your needs...

As for your current talks... Intel will have the lead in CPU performance for a while. AMD had set their CPU's up for "best bang for the buck" market, which Intel is hitting AMD below the belt on that as well now. I see rough times ahead for AMD's CPU's.

ATI & Nvidia will continue to go back-n-forth. This month ATI will regain the peformance lead and mid-Nov (my guess) Nvidia will release their new cards and take the performance lead back.
September 12, 2009 11:24:05 AM

overshocks said:
i always hope amd > nvidia

but amd > intel lol thats a joke right? intel will always be winning. i5 core> everything amd has. dont even need to bring out their older brothers i7 cores for this match lol

Well in the past everyone knew that when you want the most powerful and efficient CPUs you to go to AMD (They introduced the first actual one-die dual core proc.)

For ATI > nVidia We are in the same boat.

Intel needs to justify their prices to gain even more buyers, I think something like this will be more "Realistic" :
i7 920 250 USD
i7 950 320 USD
i7 975 450~ USD

Come on, Who is actually going to pay $999 for a processor except he's (the buyer) is made of money or the processor can actually make breakfast and :??:  :o  !! (solve HW ;)  )

And i said i HOPE it's like this but it doesn't look like it's going to :fou:  (AMD has always been right rated ($$) )

Quote:
Tecmo34 Wrote:
-----------------------
As for your current talks... Intel will have the lead in CPU performance for a while. AMD had set their CPU's up for "best bang for the buck" market, which Intel is hitting AMD below the belt on that as well now. I see rough times ahead for AMD's CPU's.

Yes, And if AMD managed to get out of this without casualties I presume they'll continue their best bang for the buck strategy which means Intel will have to do something (Again).
So do you know if there's any plans for a Phenom III or something??

Quote:
Tecmo34 Wrote:
-----------------------
ATI & Nvidia will continue to go back-n-forth. This month ATI will regain the peformance lead and mid-Nov (my guess) Nvidia will release their new cards and take the performance lead back.

I ABSOLUTELY don't want that to happen not after I purchase a HD5000 card and then comes nVidia with better performance and features to make ATI fans cry :lol:  :sarcastic:  .

Regards

Medo
!